Quantcast
Diva or OPX ......help me decide!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Diva or OPX ......help me decide!!!
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Diva or OPX ......help me decide!!!

As you know I..ahem like the 80's sound and listening to these 2 soft synths , I'm really impressed, but I can't afford to get both.

I am at a crossroads - Diva sounds awesome as does OPX - man....what to do.

I'm still using the DW for Brass/pads etc - but these synths have really impressed me.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They're both great and definitely sound different. But TBH I prefer Ace over Diva atm.
OP-X has more personality and comes with probably the best repertoire of usable presets of any VST I know. Many of the emulations of classic 80's sounds are spot-on.

OP-X PRO-II - Virtual Oberheim Clone - Sounds
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
They're 2 different beasts....OPX has a Reaktor ensemble if you have already Reaktor and it's cheaper (49€)....and the sound is great as the OPX PRO.

Diva is really cool....but (at least for me) is often unuseable on more than 4/5 tracks due to its huge CPU demand...

I would go for OPX + ACE (if u don't have already) and you're good and have a great palette of sounds....

ps = you'll probably know already but OPX is on sale until tomorrow
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Im not a huge fan of Diva with poly sounds-or complex patches (where it increasingly shows its digital nature). Aside from the high CPU cost - the Osc arent the best choice IMO for poly - compared to the OP-X. However I feel the Moog emulation in Diva is pretty damn good if you want Moog bass and leads. In comparisons for simple moog patches - it can be pretty hard to distinguish.

I really respect the work that that guy has put into the OP-X. Its a great effort. Its good for poly sounds and he captures a lot of that Oberheim class and softness. He's really nailed the presets also.

It depends on what sounds you need. Ideally youd have both tho.

Can I also recommend the Hollowsun Juno kontakt library. It sounds really nice because its sampled. Much prefer it over the emulations.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Diva if youve got the CPU.

Itll be another 5 years before computers are powerful enough to use lots of instances

Sent from my GT-I8160
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Holy crap!!!
Just demoed Diva, yes it kills my cpu but I'll be bouncing it all anyways (good practice to stop tweaking)
tried a mini bass preset - it is phat!!!

anyone else have GUI problems? its too big and some of the controls are not reachable?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
right click on the UI will give you different size options.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Im not a huge fan of Diva with poly sounds-or complex patches (where it increasingly shows its digital nature). Aside from the high CPU cost - the Osc arent the best choice IMO for poly - compared to the OP-X.
Really? hmmmmm.....choices choices, ok going to try some more presets.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You should try as well U-NO-LX from TAL and Arturia SEM V. And you can get both for less money than either Diva or OP-X Pro. U-NO got lot of praise here anyway, if you don't get Diva it's only other option for Rolandish stuff. OTOH SEM V is really nice, I was quite surprised because I don't like rest of Arturia synths at all.

edit: there is LuSH-101 as well but IMveryHO, U-NO does better 101ish basses and leads than LuSH, as well as Juno 60 stuff. OTOH, LuSH is really good for "glassy" Rolandish pads, but I think that Diva and U-NO are better in other departments.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since u got TAL UNO I'd go for OP-X - will get you all the nice big poly sounds from Oberheim to JP-8.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci ➑️
You should try as well U-NO-LX from TAL and Arturia SEM V. And you can get both for less money than either Diva or OP-X Pro. U-NO got lot of praise here anyway, if you don't get Diva it's only other option for Rolandish stuff. OTOH SEM V is really nice, I was quite surprised because I don't like rest of Arturia synths at all.
Hey, yeah I already got UNO LX which is great - but MAN - Diva is killing even my DW8000 on certain patches.
Tried Jupiter string patch - instantly authentic, I had a huge grin on my face, something thats never happened with a VST before.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I picked up DIVA because even though it's expensive and CPU intensive (my laptop supports multi-threading which helps, though), it does analog-modelled bass extremely well thanks to Urs' unique filter emulation and the "analogized" option on some of the oscillator models. It can do very fat analog-sounding bass, enough to make me hold off on a slim phatty or boomstar for a while. Used sparingly it's killer.

Here's a track featuring layered bass sounds from DIVA and pads/bells from my SY77.

Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I think where DIVA excels over other software VA synths is the filter enveloping and saturation/distortion options, with 80's bass obviously being known for fast aggressive filter action. The effects on it also sound great, particularly the chorus, which has a strange 80's character to it in contrast to other chorus plugins. The reverb and delays aren't very flexible but they have a ton of character and are effective in the right spots. I seriously feel like Harold Faltermeyer whenever I'm playing with it.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OP-X is an Obie emulator - not a bad one either! DIVA is an everything emulator.
They both sound different. DIVA will give you grungier growling sounds if you want them (ACE will too). OP-X will give you crustalline and a bit of creamy but can be quite varied when you push it.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
This is off topic but Ged, your music is freaking awesome dude.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindonthemind ➑️
Hey thanks for the kind words
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reading interviews with Dave Frank, he mentions the Oberheim "system" specifically how the DSX was tighter than midi as it was CV/Gate.
How would one achieve that tightness ITB ?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
There's no way to do that, as ITB synths don't use CV/Gate. Plus, OPX is not emulating DSX.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged ➑️
Reading interviews with Dave Frank, he mentions the Oberheim "system" specifically how the DSX was tighter than midi as it was CV/Gate.
How would one achieve that tightness ITB ?
Just use "Render track" and it should be PERFECTLY tight since no delay/jitter should occur this way (if you use good quality DAW). Problems usually arise when driving something externally. And its true, MIDI is not as tight as CV, since it depends on converter quality & speed. CV is real time, 0ms constantly, no jitter.

BTW just listened your track. Dude!!!!! Awesome work. First money you earn, get yourself a Prophet 5 and don't even think about why.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
There's no way to do that, as ITB synths don't use CV/Gate. Plus, OPX is not emulating DSX.
cheers man yeah I know the DSX was just a sequencer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Just use "Render track" and it should be PERFECTLY tight since no delay/jitter should occur this way (if you use good quality DAW). Problems usually arise when driving something externally. And its true, MIDI is not as tight as CV, since it depends on converter quality & speed. CV is real time, 0ms constantly, no jitter.

BTW just listened your track. Dude!!!!! Awesome work. First money you earn, get yourself a Prophet 5 and don't even think about why.
Hey cheers Don,

well I got both DIVA and OPX, (had to) , not used the OPX in my new track yet but DIVA has THE punchiest / tightest MiniMoog bass ever!!! and trust me I've demoed all the usual emulation's.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Ummmm please can we try and keep Diva a secret, fellow GSs. To anyone considering buying it, it's great if you like the casio sound, or thin, digital bases - genuine emulations of the early 90s casio range. The mid-90s trance presets named after Robert Miles are all highly useable though... I hear some of the parameters are tweakable but the interface is so appaulingly designed i havnt found any knobs yet. Many of the sounds are so weak you wouldnt even grace them with outboard effects, so this saves even more tweaking time.

Has anyone tried the guitar-keyboard version yet?

Bottom line, it is in no way an organic, liquid, marvellous miracle.

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
well I got both DIVA and OPX, (had to) , not used the OPX in my new track yet but DIVA has THE punchiest / tightest MiniMoog bass ever!!! and trust me I've demoed all the usual emulation's.
good choice with both. re Diva punchiest Moog emulation - lol - its been out for a while - did you miss that memo?!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Im not a huge fan of Diva with poly sounds-or complex patches (where it increasingly shows its digital nature).
Congrats on your purchases

Just to add insult to injury, you really have to run Diva in "Divine" mode for it to sound its best. It's an option on the front panel about 2/3 down.

I own Diva, PolyKB and LuSH-101. Diva has probably more diverse sound than OP X, but the CPU use is intense. LuSH-101 has just come out and can do from simple sounds to incredibly complex. It also has a low-fi and hi-fi mode.. make it sound amazing run it in hifi. It uses less CPU than Diva (but still a fair bit) and can achieve similar sounds. Diva has more diverse timbres of course because it emulates the parts of several synths, but I find LuSH very useable. It's deceptively simple. Listen to the presets you can make pretty much any sound in LuSH with some work, even sounds that you would think are from a ROMpler.

PolyKB is great and nails those cheesy 80's synths. Definitely worth checking out. I'm also interested in Synthix by XILS for the same reason. It's a classy emulation and it seems to be designed for 80's love.

Diva sounds pretty close to a Moog to me. Arturia also do a good Moog emulation, but I find their plugins (from v2 V-Collection anyway) to be a bit unpredictable in terms of how much CPU they're going to use or whether they will behave or not.

I end up using LuSH and Diva the most when I don't have my synths available. Diva is handy because I use Roland Junos a lot and can sort of emulate them when I'm not in the studio. It's not an exact emulation but it captures the spirit of them really well if you know what I mean.

But I arrived at this choice after trying to write with them all and seeing which ones I used and enjoyed the most.

orph
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
well I got both DIVA and OPX, (had to)
Hah, typical GS way of dealing with a choice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
good choice with both. re Diva punchiest Moog emulation - lol - its been out for a while - did you miss that memo?!
Care to share what is punchiest Moog emulation in plugin land?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Diva.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➑️
Ummmm please can we try and keep Diva a secret
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...u-he-diva.html

Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci ➑️
Care to share what is punchiest Moog emulation in plugin land?
Steinberg Model E.

heh
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindonthemind ➑️
+1, respect! And expecting your diva sound..
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Steinberg Model E.
Well, VSE is spot on: "The Model E VST Plug-In from Steinberg is modeled after the classic Moog Model D Minimoog, capable of the same fat 3-VCO monophonic bass sounds of the Mini."
And unlike Diva, Model E is vintage.
πŸ“ Reply