Quantcast
Vermona DRM1 Mkii really that worse than Mkiii? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vermona DRM1 Mkii really that worse than Mkiii?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Vermona DRM1 Mkii really that worse than Mkiii?

I realise the kick is a big difference for the Mkiii but I have the opportunity to buy a used Mkii for about 200quid less than a new Mkiii, now I don't really have any other source for a massive kick and I know the Mkii is a little lacking, if I were to buy a machinedrum to sequence the Mkii it wouldn't exactly give me that punchy analogue kick either. Anyone got any experience with both versions of the machinedrum and can advise?

Cheers guys.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Does anyone want to sell me their Drm1 Mkiii?

As it says in the title, anyone?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have the MKIII version but have not played the MKII. I believe that the Drum 1/2 modules are the same on MKIII as they are on the MKII except with the II you get three of them instead of having a dedicated Kick module.

Given that I would be severely disappointed about loosing the Kick module on mine and only having the Drum modules for both Kicks, Toms, and other percussive hits. Not that you can't get a kick out of them but it just doesn't sculpt or hit like the dedicated Kick module does for me.

Hope that helps.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have a DRM1 mk3 for sale with the gate triggers, unfortunately it sounds like you're in the UK (I'm in the US).
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
go with the mk3. the kick is a lot better for kicks than the drum channels.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
The drum 1&2 modules can make decent kick drums, but they don't really have the flexibility of the dedicates kick channel. Mainly, with the kick channel, there's an independent pitch and amp envelope. On the drum channels, there's only one envelope.

Sent from my LGL45C
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Zombie thread resurrected

So having read about the differences of these two versions and focused on demos of each I'm sorta keen on purchasing the Vermona DRM1 MKII Drum Synthesizer. Yes not the III.
My reasoning is that I don't care about the kick channel as much as I care about having a knob for distortion.
I'm more apt to use a sampled kick anyway.

But not being well acquainted with the market for analog drum synths I feel I should ask. Is there something else now where my money would be better spent in regards to analog drum synths?
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FWIW, at one point I had both. I bought a MkIII with trigger ins which came up locally for a decent price with the intention of selling my MkII.

After testing them side by side I kept the MKII and ordered a trigger kit from vermona instead.

I felt the MkIII sounded a little more generic and 'cleaner', still great but had lost some of the quirkiness of the II, presumably in an attempt to broaden it's appeal. I remember thinking if it was my only drum source I would have likely gone with the III but it wasn't and so stuck with the weirder II.
Old 30th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic ➑️
FWIW, at one point I had both. I bought a MkIII with trigger ins which came up locally for a decent price with the intention of selling my MkII.

After testing them side by side I kept the MKII and ordered a trigger kit from vermona instead.

I felt the MkIII sounded a little more generic and 'cleaner', still great but had lost some of the quirkiness of the II, presumably in an attempt to broaden it's appeal. I remember thinking if it was my only drum source I would have likely gone with the III but it wasn't and so stuck with the weirder II.
I had formed a similar idea from hearing demos. The III strikes me as cleaner and a more Pro type sound. Not in any way bad or worse than the II IMO but I think the II is a better fit for the music I make.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➑️
The III strikes me as cleaner and a more Pro type sound
Yep, absolutely, which I felt was a little boring in comparison.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic ➑️
Yep, absolutely, which I felt was a little boring in comparison.
I appreciate your insights
Do you feel there's a better product now with the same or better capabilities?
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Guru

To me, this is the best *sounding* example of a Vermona DRM1 in a video that I've ever heard, my gold-standard for DRM1 examples, and it happens to be some dude on a mkIII.

If the mkII can sound this good, then it's good to go, I think.

I dunno. That's my take, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➑️
To me, this is the best *sounding* example of a Vermona DRM1 in a video that I've ever heard, my gold-standard for DRM1 examples, and it happens to be some dude on a mkIII.

If the mkII can sound this good, then it's good to go, I think.

I dunno. That's my take, at least.

When the MK III was released, Vermona responded to my questions about differences and claimed the only difference between MK 2 and 3 was the kick channel. This was a few years ago and components and other details may have changed.

The problem with the DM channels on the MK 2 is there is no phase reset upon trigger, so no consistent kicks.
πŸ“ Reply