The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Porter ricks production, How the hell ?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Porter ricks production, How the hell ?

i been obsessed with this track for years :
Porter Ricks - Polytoxic 1 - YouTube
The feathery snare/percussion sound, and that insane treatment of maybe a 303 ? Pitch shifting/overdrive ??
Can anyone lemme in on this cause i been pondering how the hell they got this sort of mutant sound..?

And this one too :
Porter Ricks + Techno Animal - polytoxic 2 - YouTube
The 303 sounds more rugged, but still cant fathom whether it's analog filtering or tight delays or a combo that gets this amazing sound on the bassline

Anyone shed anylight ? Would be much appreciated.. Bass production Process on these tunes seems so mysterious to me...
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insect1 ➑️
The feathery snare/percussion sound?
noise oscillator w/ filter. triggered in sequence, play with the envelope(s).
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
But if this is a 303,as i suspect it doesnt have parameters like noise oscillator..Or do u mean noice osc for percussion sounds ?
If so, yeah seems like it could be..But its the bass sound style that has me scratching my head every time..haha
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi, saw this and thought I'd have a go (I only listened to it for one and half minutes so cannot comment on the rest) It's the drums/percussion that have all the white noise/distortion on. The bassline doesn't sound like a 303 to me but you can get tones out of a 303 like it If that's all you've got, there's some overdrive/distortion on the bassline as well but It could be any monosynth
If you wanted to imitate it look at Reaktor lots of synth/drum machines that are set up to produce this type of tone. Hope that helps.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I don't think either of those tracks use a 303. I'd guess a basic analog monosynth.

In the second one, the bassline sounds like a bandpass or hipass filtered saw with some distortion on it.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i thought the note slides def seemed like a 303..
And fx wise i thought the bass was maybe pitch shifted and filter passed...
Snare sound is incredible, but really no idea how you can get to that sound...hahaha
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Snare sound is incredible, but really no idea how you can get to that sound...hahaha
i already told you.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I can't quite get my head round the thinking of people on this site, for example you ask how to get a sound,fair enough, more than one person tells you they don't think it's a 303 but in the end you decide it's a303 and not only that it's got a pitch shifter on as well, if you think it is that why don't you try it and report back, I make music like this all the time or I would not have replied to your question unlike lots of people on this site who suggest thing without having any idea or experience with equipment or technique. Personally I thought the drums/percussion where the harder of the 2 elements to get right and I gave you a suggestion of reactor for that,I know I could get similar sounds because I do. The bassline sounded like something I could make in 5 mins with any soft/hardware mono synth and reverb type effect. Or I could be totally wrong.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hey thanks for your responses...st1040 def agreed the perc sounds like a hard act to follow, but cheers for the tip jbuonacc..
u know its not about wanting to copy, its about really just admiring, and wondering how the hell ???
ive never got into reaktor, so dont really know the possibilities..so could well be the key to these tracks..i just hadnt heard anything like them before, grew to love em and coulnt help wondering how....
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Actually a friend emailed me saying Porter Ricks were using a Waldorf pulse at the time, so nope it was definitely not a tb-303..haha..so xtra egg on my face..
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Actually a friend emailed me saying Porter Ricks were using a Waldorf pulse at the time, so nope it was definitely not a tb-303..haha..so xtra egg on my face..
It is fine.
It is good to try and analyse the music you love and support.
Nothing wrong with this at all, to me this shows enthusiasm and passion.
Good on you for doing so.
Just make sure though you do not sound like an exact replication of the music you favor and love.

I was going to say a few days ago that this certainly was not a 303, at least now you know for sure.
Good luck
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i must apologize, i was a bit hasty in my advice on how this 'snare' sound is done. there's definitely some (frequency? filter?) modulation going on, it's not just a noise oscillator. a big part of it though is that the gate/envelope is being modulated for the 'rolls'.

sounds to me like the 'snare' morphs into the bass line after it drops out quick and comes back in towards the end. the 'snare' also pretty much plays the same sequence throughout the track as the bass line (and maybe another element or two), i almost wouldn't be surprised if they were both part of the same patch (??). really cool track either way.

also, i've read that they were known to use an Oberheim Matrix-12.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Porter Ricks is friggin awesome! (Sorry, just had to get that off my chest );

Biokinetics - PORTER RICKS
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thx jbuonacc.. very interesting advice...Ive never really thought of processing drums/snares so heavily......And after yr comments i went deeper in my listening of the track, and recognised what you said that the drum processing is incredibly well programmed and intricate and maybe carries the track like you say...
Personally think Thomas Koner(one half of Porter Ricks) is an incredible producer with a really strong, singular aesthetic of drone and grey(noise)ness.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
... Ive never really thought of processing drums/snares so heavily..... the drum processing is incredibly well programmed and intricate and maybe carries the track like you say...
well, there's really not a lot of "drum/snare processing" going on at all. it's just a synth patch, and sounds so "alien" because we think/expect it to be a regular snare. as for "well programmed and intricate", i'd almost say the opposite. the pattern is about as simple as it gets, and repeats continuously throughout the whole track. they're (most likely) just twiddling some knobs as the synth was triggered by a sequencer.

if i get a minute, i'll try to record an example.

(if anyone else has any input on these sounds, please speak up. )
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hahaha, well that is me dashed down..
But good to get the lowdown and info..
And yeah, would love to hear some similar examples..much appreciated, and be interested to know what s/w u use to generate the sound(Or tempest even ?)
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
threw this together quick. a bit lame, but it gets the point across. both the bass line and "snare" are being sent the same one-bar sequence.
Attached Files

PR_snares.mp3 (1.22 MB, 1206 views)

Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Wow j.. Your snares def got that feathery mutant sound off to a tee... So which soft synth did u get it from ? And was it the gate/envelope
Modulatioms u memtioned ?
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sorry, im a bit too dense to sort this one "gate/envelope is being modulated for the 'rolls"..
Can anyone advice..Im rtyin to do a variant on this employing J's advice, but failing miserably...haha
Im trying it with Albino..
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ahh, sorry for not being more clear. i'll get back to you on this, but for now...

i was just modulating the volume envelope decay by hand. try this:

A - 0/10
D - 3/10 (to start, play around with this while triggering)
S - 0/10
R - 5/10
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thx J, will try....
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
To get the beating effect on the snare, you could try taking the Pancake plugin, setting it to the 'Opponents' preset. The rate setting to 'fixed' and then playing with the speed to get that stereo beating.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
That pancak plug looks great..gonna try it...

And jbuonacc, i pm'd you for further advice re-modulations etc..

thx
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That pancak plug looks great..gonna try it...

And jbuonacc, i pm'd you for further advice re-modulations etc..

thx
Pancake is dopefly wicked boss yo. It's also free, which is cool. I'm gonna try their other plugins actually.

Cheers,
Jack
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yeah d/l pancake and its really brilliant, particularly as its free....
πŸ“ Reply