Quantcast
EQ by ear, Freq analyzer or both? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQ by ear, Freq analyzer or both?
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
EQ by ear, Freq analyzer or both?

If one hasn't attended a school for this kind of information and is trying to make music where different tracks 'fit' and sound obviously not exactly the same as other within the genre but 'similar', how does he know which frequencies certain tracks/instruments are in? I assume that the best way would be playing whatever song like through a frequency analyzer and try to get the sound isolated (say where there are JUST drums playing etc), but then would you have to mix your entire song to sound the same according to the track you've replicated?

And for references this is the sound I like most

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk0AskAU1mc
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't understand the actual body of your post at all, but in answer to the title of the post: EQ by ear always and never by frequency analyzer.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You listen with your ears, not with your eyes.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i've never used an analyser, i think it may make workflow quicker coarsely. if you had one to hand
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i use both,smetimes i use ear with analyzer simultaneously to find faster the spot i want to cut or boost if i eq surgically. otherway ears only
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks. Anyone else please?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Obviously ear is more important but having something visual can make you listen out for things you might not notice.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I don't use analyzers until I'm mixing the sub groups, I think you end up drawing what you think rather than doing it properly. FFT is pretty complex anyway when you get right into it and the image is just one interpretation of many possible ones, all which are 'correct'

As for where do instruments occupy frequencies? Well, open and a analyzer, there's your answer.

If you're asking what should you remove from them to make it all gel, that's down to you.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just eq by ear until I find that mesh between all the instruments that I like. There isn't just 1 sweet spot either. I could eq a whole song 2 different ways and have both mesh just as good, and like both the same. I then just have to make a decision which one I prefer.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
For better or worst, I trust my ears.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ears and brain.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Both. It's easier and faster to find offending frequencies while using an equaliser with a built-in analyser. However... I always fine tune the frequency, adjust the boost/cut (usually cut), and the Q/Oct value by ear.

The analyser is just a tool to help me find the problem faster, but it's not telling me how it can be fixed.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I go by ear during mix and visual at the master stage, mainly to see what is peaking.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➑️
Ears and brain.
I just started using freq analyser plug not so long ago ... and it s opening new understanding for me ... it helps quiet well ... i ll still start by ears and after a while i ll check some tracks with it ... it s a great tool ... learn with it ... i mean to identify more and more frequencies by ear ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i use my eyes for arrangement

ears for the track

mind for the panning

i am super lazy and usually really pressed for time, so i'd rather eq w/arrangement then sit there and figure out how to get a train whistle, highat and snare all to co-exist.

also sweeping the cutoff filter of a synth to "eq" is great fun and a little more dynamic then the "THWACK" of 80hz/18db highpass nuking things all the time
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…