Quantcast
Ipad For Midi Control & Synthesis Programming - Your Thoughts - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ipad For Midi Control & Synthesis Programming - Your Thoughts
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ipad For Midi Control & Synthesis Programming - Your Thoughts

I'm really tempted to buy an ipad just for midi control of my DAW (Ableton Live) having explored the software out there. It seems the most flexible and deep option for controlling everything whilst being able to see the labels and have visual feedback over everything - I tried automap and it didn't really work for me. Of course it's quite expensive and you sacrifice feel is that a small price to pay for the things you can do with it. I'm really excited by the possibilities but am not the greatest fan of fiddly things and touchscreen.

The things that interest me are:
TouchAble
V-Control Pro - Especially For Controlling VST/AUs
Griid
Sequencomat V3
StepPolyArp
PPG Wavegenerator
Korg Synths

How precise can you get when tweaking synths with v-control or touchable or any other ipad synth?

Is it really difficult to get the exact sound you want or perform some automation without accidentally touching something else or it not responding properly or being too sensitive / not sensitive enough?

Do you ever find yourself reaching for the mouse to fine tune parameters of using the mouse for smaller buttons on the soft synths?

Is there too much lag / latency?

Can you see what your doing when tweaking parameters or do your fingers get in the way?

Do you often press the wrong thing or tweak the wrong parameter by accident?

Thanks For Your Help
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Well I know it makes a great wireless controller for Presonus stuff, live mixing and the new Roland Jupiter stuff, the roland stuff needing wired connection.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, yes whatever you're using it for music wise I'm very interested to know if it have any of the problems I mentioned above or if it's superb.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Touchable has been very useful to me both in the studio and live. A few nights I played my set from touchable while bouncing all over the club and even out back for a puff. In the studio it changed my workflow cause I can sit at any synth in my room and record and loop into live. Very productive.
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➑️
Touchable has been very useful to me both in the studio and live. A few nights I played my set from touchable while bouncing all over the club and even out back for a puff. In the studio it changed my workflow cause I can sit at any synth in my room and record and loop into live. Very productive.
Did you make any mistakes from accidentally touching things or pots / faders turning too abrupty because of lag or over-sensitivity etc?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was led to believe everyone had an ipad and they were the most searched for product on the internet. Haha where is everyone? Trying to reply typing clumsily on their touch screens?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Having Animoog and iMS20 with you anywhere will justify the whole concept to you in a hurry. Littlemidi will also make you question the purpose of standalone step sequencers which cost as much as an iPad by themselves.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just totted up my potential wishlist of apps to try. Comes to 150 pounds on top of the ipad which makes it even more expensive but also means there are many interesting music apps that I want to try. I think i'm gonna bite the bullet and get one this week!

Anyone tried one and didn't like it for producing or making music?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have used GarageBand on it, I have the Poly Six on it, and Launchkey, which I can't wait to add the new novation keyboard controller to run Launchkey. There are tons of new and better DAWS coming out all the time as well. I had more stuff in the past but have trimmed down. Just bought an iPAD mini which is going to make live performance even more streamline, example being using it for my Roland Jupiter 50 and as I mentioned above playing Launchkey live.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Guru

I use v control pro and touchable...i use two daws so v controls handy to switch between them...its also adds faders to my launchpad...it has the option to open up a window with the plug in showing to tweak, but its fiddly...splashtop would allow you to do this better and for much cheaper

Touchables great...im starting to use it more...tweaking is much easier as its little more than dragging your finger on a bar rather than tiny controls like v control

I liked the ipad so much i bought a second and an idock..the korg apps are great...so is amplitube, chordion, steppolyarp, yumi, cassini, wavegenerator, animoog, sunrizer, nlog, beatmaker2, addictive synth, samplr, nano studio...etc etc etc
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, these are the main reasons I was thinking of getting one. Would love it if vst developers started to make apps for controlling their vst synths on ipad. I know specrasonics did a bit of something but nothing too elaborate. I really don't like fiddly. I thought you could zoom in with the v control anyway?

Just checked out splashtop as i've never heard of it. Can you zoom in on different areas of the screen easily or not at all? Pinch zooming would allow an awful lot of control in live.
Old 22nd January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Lemur is good
also I have StepPolyArp and TouchOSC but Lemur sees more action atm
the PPG synth is worth it alone IMHO
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➑️
Cool, these are the main reasons I was thinking of getting one. Would love it if vst developers started to make apps for controlling their vst synths on ipad. I know specrasonics did a bit of something but nothing too elaborate. I really don't like fiddly. I thought you could zoom in with the v control anyway?

Just checked out splashtop as i've never heard of it. Can you zoom in on different areas of the screen easily or not at all? Pinch zooming would allow an awful lot of control in live.
Yes you can

Using a mac you can use soundflower and plug your cans into you ipad and basically play Live in any room you can get wireless...i can sit outside on my deck and mix

The vcontrol can zoom in too but it doesnt have an action for a mouses right click...and its an extra step to bring up the view window...i spent $50 on it so i use it, but splashtops better for tweaking things
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

This is v control with maschine running...but like i said no right click stops you sometimes

Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I have taken the plunge today and now have my shiny new retina ipad on charge Managed to get Β£40 off so couldn't resist. I'm hoping this will make it much more fun to produce and some of these great sequencing apps will inspire me to create things in all kinds of keys and new chords. Should hopefully make recording in automation a lot more interesting than drawing curves and can let me mix my tracks live too. I'll post back when I've had chance to delve in and have a proper go!

Thanks for all your help guys!

I guess my next question is what interface should I get to get audio out of it? Is wireless midi just as good as the interfaces offer?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sequencomat V3

Anyone tried SequencomatV3 For Lemur / Ipad? Sequencomat V3

Pretty steep at 99 euros but is it worth it - looks great for sequencing entire tracks
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I love my iPad mini for editing my JP-50.
πŸ“ Reply