Quantcast
Classic House Analog Synth? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Classic House Analog Synth?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Come to think of it just buy a used monomachine mkii. Write some stuff.

When you start looking for new flavors add any one of the bits of kit listed in this thread.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As much as I love the Monomacine, I wouldn't get it for classic house sound-a-likes. It's great for techno, but I never managed to get any house-y sounds out of it.

MPC + some VA/cheap analog is a great starter setup for house though.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 ➑️
Akai MPC 2000 XL higher spec than reg 2000 apparently same converters as the 3000.
I very much doubt it. Certainly not the MPC3000, possibly the S3000XL.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
alpha juno
also,
not analogue but Casio CZ series are all over early house...

Last edited by grimjaw; 24th January 2013 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Most of those 'real instruments' came from a Korg M1.
Old 24th January 2013
roc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You guys are so funny .

It's not the instrument . Don't you realize
That Stevie Wonder could make a cheap toy keyboard sound dope .
That should tell you something .
It's not the instrument .
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I guess that after every post i get more and more confused, maybe as some of the people here point is not the instrument, but what i really know is that i want analog polyphonic sound what i really don't have now in my studio..

All of you pointed me to Roland Juno what i'm searching to find a nice deal and i think that if i finally catch a good price i will get it straight away (another prob is that most of the good deals are in USA and they don't ship to EU)

So at this point i opened another thread that might clarify my ideas , and it is wish is the most versatile / value for money poly analog synth? maybe it is not matter of vintage old and any modern can recreate this sound if you know how to do it...

Thanks again for all your help

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ml#post8670155
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A lot of people here have already said it and I'll echo it: ALPHA JUNO (or MKS-50). It's pretty much all you'll need for 'housey sounds' in the analog domain. Pair with an FM synth of some description and you are set.

Do NOT spend all that money on a Juno 60 when the Alpha Juno (esp the 2) is so much more versatile, easier to integrate and far far cheaper! You'd be mad to go for the 60 just cos it's apparently 'cooler'. Alpha Juno will do stuff the other Junos can't, while the difference in 'vintage sound' is neither hear nor there for your needs.

You have pretty much a unanimous vote on Alpha Juno + FM

(JX-8P isn't good as an 'only synth' for house, though it was used a lot around the house music era rarely on it's own, Alpha Juno will be more useful in the bass and sequencer line dept - faster response, punchier, better oscs)

As for versatile/value for money - you could buy a JX-3P AND an ALPHA JUNO for the same price as a far more limited Juno 60 (or 106) so don't do it!! :P
LHK
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️
I don't hear many analog sounds in early house music. Most of it sounds like romplers and cheaper FM synths. Korg M1, definitely. Yamaha DX100 and TX81z definitely. Cheap DCO analogs like Alpha Junos, probably. Most of it is quite affordable these days.
add to that the Yamaha TG55 and EMU Proteus 1

*edit - 5 year + member and first post haha

Last edited by LHK; 24th January 2013 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: to add
Old 24th January 2013
Deleted d22f2ee
i would aim straight for old sample collections like the roland s series , casio fz1 factory sample sets etc or the ensoniq factory sample sets ( all in ebay in any format you care to use ) as most house tracks seemed to be a combination of factory sample collections from the samplers of that period and maybe an m1 piano sound and some roland alpha juno.

House music was really often the result of a guy with an s950 or ensoniq or s50 / 550 and maybe 1 synth like a roland , some vinyl he would sample chord stabs from and maybe some tacky slapper from down the road singing over the top ( or one of the numerous sample cds of the time by zero g etc )

If there is one synth for house its the Alpha juno ( aside from the Korg m1 piano preset )

the juno 60 to my ears is more # 80's synth pop than house .

If you want to cheat get a Jv1080 and the house card they did , has alot of the flavours and classic sounds from that period.

Use sounddiver !
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp ➑️

House music was really often the result of a guy with an s950 or ensoniq or s50 / 550 and maybe 1 synth like a roland , some vinyl he would sample chord stabs from and maybe some tacky slapper from down the road singing over the top
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As for the "Can You Feel It" bass..even larry heard forgot which exact synth he used (all he remembers is it was a Roland), which is understandable, since it was a long time ago and he's probably been through hundreds of synths by now. Some interviews say, J6, J60, Jup6 and AJ. I would put my money on it that it was made from the AJ. I recreated that bass patch on my J60- pretty close, but noticeably the J60 can't get as round, juicy, smooth, clean, bubbly and bouncy as the exact bass patch on Can U Feel It; the J60 CanUFeelIt patch was close, but a lot more thick, brash, rough, just more vintage sounding.

+1 for the romplers. I think romplers were used even more so than analogs. M1 was super popular. Can't forget all the Emu and Roland romplers too.

AJ + FM + rompler + mpc... that'd be a nice setup...and inexpensive too..you can prolly even get all of the aforesaid with price of a single J60
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Larry is tripping. He used a Juno 60 and a TR-707 to clock the arpeggiator. Go try it.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
I very much doubt it. Certainly not the MPC3000, possibly the S3000XL.
Have a look into it... Seems like it may be the case. Im not implying they sound the same but I recall that the sound is a step up fromthe standard 2000. It was covered in depth in another thread.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 ➑️
Have a look into it... Seems like it may be the case. Im not implying they sound the same but I recall that the sound is a step up fromthe standard 2000. It was covered in depth in another thread.
Not saying the 2000xl sounds bad, but it doesn't sound like an MPC3000. No need to look into it.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haha. I hear ya... I got a 60 and it sounds great. Was looking seriously into getting a 3000. One day.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc ➑️
You guys are so funny .

It's not the instrument . Don't you realize
That Stevie Wonder could make a cheap toy keyboard sound dope .
That should tell you something .
It's not the instrument .
I would say a child could throw a chord sequencer in front of the M1 plug in and write a piano house anthem.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRoda ➑️
Xpander is definitely one of the next synths i will buy, that one is the ONE!
Yes the Oberheim Xpander is a brilliant instrument. But don't they go for around $3,000?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks to Everyone for all your suggestions, finally today i sold my Nord Lead 3 and i will start buying a Roland Juno 60 and continue with some of the things that all of you have mentioned here, and in special from the list below.

Hopefully i will bring back to my music that Classic House Sound!

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

PD: if anyone know a site where i can find a nice deal for the juno 60 let me know, as ebay is too expensive

Already found some around 700$ and waiting for an answer about shipment.

Cheers,
Carl.
Don't hate me because i'm about to suggest some software, but the TAL-U-NO-LX plugin has really good reviews at replicating the Juno 60. You could get that and buy up some other hardware like Yamaha Tx81z (lately bass) and some other things people have mentioned on here.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➑️
As much as I love the Monomacine, I wouldn't get it for classic house sound-a-likes. It's great for techno, but I never managed to get any house-y sounds out of it.

MPC + some VA/cheap analog is a great starter setup for house though.
I guess it's in the ear of the beholder. I made some nice sounding house tracks with the Mono, the analog modeling section has some nice sounds, it's got dope FM basses and the detuned ensemble sect made for good (but fm-ey) house chords. I dunno, it worked for me.

I sold it as the sound didn't quite gel with all the other old junk i use.... And it was a bit too immediate, slick and integrated. But that's a major plus if you are on a budget.
Deleted d22f2ee
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Haarp ➑️
I would say a child could throw a chord sequencer in front of the M1 plug in and write a piano house anthem.
it would be impossible for anyone not do sound like a house anthem doing that.

My question is what about the rave horn ? i remember a mate with one and he would blow this thing at raves and Really irritate everyone after a while , i think one night he blew it a bit close to a large guy off his head at a seedy rave in south london and the guy nearly took his head off with it.The good old days...
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hey guys, what do you think 200€ for a Alpha Juno 2 shipment included is a good price?

Also does this one has got any kind of usual problem that i must take care before closing the deal?

Cheers,
Carl.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey guys, what do you think 200€ for a Alpha Juno 2 shipment included is a good price?

Also does this one has got any kind of usual problem that i must take care before closing the deal?

Cheers,
Carl.
I check it here and it is almost in the price i guess so..

Average used prices for Roland Corporation /// PrePal

So then i need to know if there is any particular prob with this one?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Cheers,
Carl.
Yeah it's a good price. They can go for over Β£300 these days to the right buyer (esp if in top condition).

ALpha juno *2* is pretty solid, pitch benders can snap off like any roland so check that. Check the button covers aren't worn through (the buttons are usually reliable on these - fat tact switches under the cover *NOT* membrane rubbish!). Screens WILL fade but you can renew, check it's got some light on it at least but I'd still take it if no backlight for that price and fit a Blue LED light (as I have to mine )

Aftertouch can be weak, but it's not a deal breaker.

Solid metal upper except end cheeks. AJ2 is a great keyboard with the same keys as the D-50, very nice feel - quality. Juno 1 feels far cheaper, all plastic upper one piece design (rear screw tabs crack on all Juno 1s I've seen) and the keys are the same as SH-101 - simple keys, no vel/AT (though it still responds to it).

The only real important thing to check is that all voices are OK - have had a couple of alpha junos with dead filter chips or a dead DCO chip (or damaged gate array) possibly due to the slightly cheap/space saving interior engineering. It should prove very reliable if it's fully working when you buy it and you don't go sticking screw drivers inside

edit > Prepal isn't that useful imo. It's a seller's market with vintage synths and often prices go very high to a buyer who has more than enough cash and wants it badly enough. With a thread like this prices are going to go up a little I imagine so stop asking and buy it now if it checks out ok!

Edit 2 > common to pretty much all Rolands (and most synths using rubber cup key contacts) You'll probably find a key or two don't work or respond with full velocity at all times, this usually just needs the dust wiping from under the contacts (depends on how handy you are with synths - easy easy job). If any key faults in the same octave or note (for example all "F" keys won't sound or an entire octave from C to B doesn't work) this usually means something worse (gate array/key assigner probs so would avoid)
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️
Yeah it's a good price. They can go for over Β£300 these days to the right buyer (esp if in top condition).

ALpha juno *2* is pretty solid, pitch benders can snap off like any roland so check that. Check the button covers aren't worn through (the buttons are usually reliable on these - fat tact switches under the cover *NOT* membrane rubbish!). Screens WILL fade but you can renew, check it's got some light on it at least but I'd still take it if no backlight for that price and fit a Blue LED light (as I have to mine )

Aftertouch can be weak, but it's not a deal breaker.

Solid metal upper except end cheeks. AJ2 is a great keyboard with the same keys as the D-50, very nice feel - quality. Juno 1 feels far cheaper, all plastic upper one piece design (rear screw tabs crack on all Juno 1s I've seen) and the keys are the same as SH-101 - simple keys, no vel/AT (though it still responds to it).

The only real important thing to check is that all voices are OK - have had a couple of alpha junos with dead filter chips or a dead DCO chip (or damaged gate array) possibly due to the slightly cheap/space saving interior engineering. It should prove very reliable if it's fully working when you buy it and you don't go sticking screw drivers inside

edit > Prepal isn't that useful imo. It's a seller's market with vintage synths and often prices go very high to a buyer who has more than enough cash and wants it badly enough. With a thread like this prices are going to go up a little I imagine so stop asking and buy it now if it checks out ok!
Great , thanks a lot for all your tips!

Unfortunately the synth is not around my area, so i can't really test it here, but i will give a call with all the info you have provided me to check out that all is woking ok.

I'll let you know when i speak if everything is ok and fully working :D

Cheers!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll let you know when i speak if everything is ok and fully working :D

Cheers!
Thanks but no need, I'm not the one buying it :P

Good Luck anyway. IT's a good price and all old synths have niggles, you gotta take time to clean it up and make it your own, fixing any small faults along the way (for that price).
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimconcept ➑️
Don't forget the Yamaha DX100... It's cheap and has some classic House bass.
Bad advice IMO, the weedy DX100 is really a waste when the TX81z is available for cheaper and is a far more useful synth.

...and you can get a DX27 much cheaper (DX27 = DX100 with big keys.)
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Alpha Juno 2 (190€ Shipment included) on the way....
Looking for more gear as i still have got some more money left

Checking Juno 106 for a max price of 350€ - 400€ ...
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Alpha Juno 2 (190€ Shipment included) on the way....
Looking for more gear as i still have got some more money left

Checking Juno 106 for a max price of 350€ - 400€ ...
Get an Akai sampler and an fm synth. Either S950 or S1100/1000 and any cheap Yamaha fm synth. Get editing software for it.

Something that is coming your way at this rate too is the topic of DAW and midi timing. Not a great thing. Maybe check into Alyseum Copperlan interfaces at some point unless you plan to sequence the hardware from a hardware sequencer.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Get an Akai sampler and an fm synth. Either S950 or S1100/1000 and any cheap Yamaha fm synth. Get editing software for it.

Something that is coming your way at this rate too is the topic of DAW and midi timing. Not a great thing. Maybe check into Alyseum Copperlan interfaces at some point unless you plan to sequence the hardware from a hardware sequencer.
Checking the Akai , but they seem to be difficult to find them...

About the seq, we will just record on the way... organic taste!
πŸ“ Reply