The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Spark...help me justify buying it during this current price drop?
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Arturia Spark...help me justify buying it during this current price drop?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what you think about the current price drop of the Arturia Spark...$600 to $400.

Is it worth it? I want to get it because I don't have any sort of drum machine / mpc, either hardware or midi controller. I also have VERY limited drum samples / drum plug-ins, basically just running it from reaper's built in sampler.

I know that it's a bit limiting being chained to a computer, but i think it could be useful that way too. And I just can't find anything even remotely comparable, once you take price into consideration...

thank you all for your input
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you thought of just getting Maschine ?
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i hadn't! i always thought those were a ton more expensive than they are...

i just researched it a bit though, and I think i see the difference between that and the spark. I'm much more interested in using a piece of hardware as purely as a drum machine. i mean i might dabble with sampling but it's definitely not my primary goal

are there any other drum machines that i should be looking for, new or used? i also like the synthesis capabilities that a drum machine offers.
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

Ive seen these go for as little as $250 on ebay, have a look around first before parting with your cash
Old 19th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
Ive seen these go for as little as $250 on ebay, have a look around first before parting with your cash
awesome, thanks for the heads up! i'll definitely keep an eye out for the next two weeks or so...but i might buy new before the price jumps up...if i do decide on the spark that is
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ER1 - the original Red. Should be able to pick one up for around 200. Its like a cut down down down Machinedrum which is why I;m suggesting this as I am goig to go the same path. I;ve onyl had it (ER1) for a week and its just sooo much fun, All said I plan to get an MD as soon as I can spring for it. FAR more than a simple drum machine
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
awesome, thanks! i also love the md, but it's out of my price range at the moment...i'd really just like a good piece of gear that i could find my way around drum machines.
Old 20th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I use Spark to make my beats, and I tell you that is one of my best buys.
Is very fast to work, the touch is very similar to the analogics machines. And have a lot of good sound library's.
for me the spark is a very nice option.
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Tremor!!! So blown away by that plugin, no controller, but f*k it, just map it to a controller, that is if you wanna make your own presets because the onboard ones are shocking imo.
I made drum hits in that programme that rival/beat the ones I have in my sample library, of which I've been building up for the last three years.
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@felipe

awesome! i am totally looking for a tactile experience similar to analog machines, and sound libraries are an added bonus that i could use when i work on different sounding projects, such as indie rock stuff

@ross

tremor looks awesome! but it's a little pricy for me, considering i want this purchase to primarily be for a drum controller that simulates a drum machine. i will keep it in mind though
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is there a local music store you can hit up to demo Spark or Maschine? I know my local Guitar Centers all have a Maschine set up in it's computer recording room.

Or buy one used, try it, and likely sell it for what you paid if you want to try the other
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I get that from my RM1X though, It does the old school pattern based sequencing thing extremely well and it's hardware, I just pop that into a MIDI channel, sync it and of it flashes, controlling 16 channels of midi.

I use that for sequencing more than just drums too. Β£90 ebay, boom.

I'm borrowing the Machninedrum from a friend at the moment, it's more user friendly and elegant than my solution, I haven't had it long enough to really judge, but from what I can tell it's synthesis capabilities are not all that hot....
The RM1X's sequencing abilities are close to matching a DAW, couple that with tremor and I'm a happy bunny.

It sounds like it's out of your budget but I think Tempest is the kind of box you'd want.
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@krism
nah, the closest gc to me is about a 45 min drive...which is really a drag. buying used and selling back again is a really good idea though! there's a best buy near me that has an entire music gear section....*shudder*. last time i was there i asked the guy if he sold any usb to midi interfaces, and he asked me "what's midi?"

never again.

and @ross

that does look like a pretty sweet alternative! i will definitely shop around for that method.

a Tempest is actually exactly what i want...but $2000 is just something i can't spend on a single piece of gear at this moment haha
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I personally really like the Arturia Spark. It sounds great, and it is so easy to manipulate your drums right from the controller to get the exact sound that you are looking for with each drum instrument.

I have both the Maschine and Spark and love my Spark much more, but they are totally different beasts. Spark is just more intuitive and fun to use for me.

The only things I don't like with spark is drum kits don't have a preset mixer out set up, and the midi out/in set up is sorta a pain to get working well but I don't think that's spark's fault.
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
thanks rodan! your experience is totally helpful to me, since i've been comparing the two haha.

if those are your only qualms with the spark, than that's awesome. i don't think i would want a default preset mixer out...setting it up would force me to be familiar with it each time.

and midi out / in is hopefully just a small issue
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
so...buy using "best offer" on ebay, I've managed to whittle down two retailers to offering the spark, brand new in retail box, to $359.

Should I pull the trigger? Cause I think I will haha. I might be able to find it cheaper used but not for much less...and new is nice

if anyone would like to know which retailers I managed to get this from, just let me know.

EDIT: After reviewing both sellers, one was offering free expedited shipping, and their little bio sold me since they seam to be "real"

not sure if it's just a marketing ploy or not lol, but it definitely went well with the expedited shipping.

also i told them about my other offer for $359, since they were offering $370...they sent back $358.99, which made me chuckle and undercut the competitor. a laugh is a way to make me fork offer money haha.

check out their awesome store...maybe you can get a sweet deal! Audio MIDI PLUS
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
do it
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
old discussion i know, but in case this is useful - full review & tutorial of Spark. (@ v1.6.1)

YouTube

choose anything you want to learn from the chapters.

Full controller tutorial is chapter-4
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Guru

Its become my favourite bit of gear just now...
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What do you like more about it compared to machine ?
I tried the software version of the Arturia drum stuff and didn't like it at all ( poor sounds, ugly interface and buggy ).
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I never used a machine, so i can't say.

interface isn't ugly once you have the controller, cause then it makes a lot of sense

i've had some bugs but they seem to be responsive on their forums

the stock drum kits are meh but i like it much more as a platform. you can make some great kits and the community shares great kits as well.
Old 10th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander ➑️
What do you like more about it compared to machine ?
I tried the software version of the Arturia drum stuff and didn't like it at all ( poor sounds, ugly interface and buggy ).
not really that buggy on version 1.6.1...I have the odd crash while saving user kits, not often though

I have maschine as well but for some reason Ive never got on with MPC style controllers, used to have an MPD too...Maschine almost has too much crammed into it...I never ever use song mode, the step sequencer feels like an afterthought, and I never have the need to host vsts in it either

Sparks controller is much more suited for me...I like some finger drumming but more importantly I love xoxox sequencers

I make my own kits, either with stuff Ive got or from samples

Ive just finished an 808 with 96 samples...each pad has 6 that are triggered randomly with slight variations...Id never do that with maschine, I love making kits with this thing...its so simple plus the dedicated three knobs per pad is great for tweaking while playing...you can set them to adjust any parameter

so Im not saying its for you...but it clicked with me...its factory sounds are decent, not a patch on NI's imho though, but good enough...but for hosting your own kits is where its at I think
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I enjoy using Spark LE much more than Maschine. I have both and can my ideas out much more quickly. There is a lot going on in Maschine and it's a very capable drum machine, but I just don't care for the work flow as much. Spark LE is very intuitive and really suits my needs. If I feel like just using the X0X buttons to enter drum hits, it's easy. If I feel like playing a couple drums realtime with that, it's easy to do. The synthesis controls for the sounds are great. It has a limited amount of controls, usually six main knobs, but tweaking the knobs just a little bit can make drastic changes. That makes editing so much more fun because you can just focus in on a simplified interface honing the sound you want.

It's definitely one of my best purchases in a long time. Spark LE is nice and compact too, which I really enjoy. The bigger one gives you more knobs and more buttons, but it wasn't necessary for me as I can everything the full controller can with LE.

They are currently working on version 1.7 of their software and are constantly supporting it. And regarding the sounds. I think they sound fantastic. I know some people even pick Spark over hardware drum machines like Jomox and others saying it sounded better or at least as good as hardware.
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Damn you guy made me look into the Spark LE and now I kind of want one ! :/
Velocity layers and round robin are things that I really miss on Maschine ( you can use Battery but it's a bit of a pain ).
And I've also got a softspot for x0x sequencers.
How responsive are the pads compared to Maschine ?
How good is the DAW integration ( is it easy to create patterns and export them in DAW mode ? )
Can the sequencer do polyrythmic stuff ?
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I bought the v collection when the price dropped - Spark plus a bunch of synths. Control it with. Korg Kontrol pad. Nice pads, not too complicated and I think better hardware than the Spark gizmo.
Old 11th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Velocity layers and round robin are things that I really miss on Maschine ( you can use Battery but it's a bit of a pain ).
How good is the DAW integration ( is it easy to create patterns and export them in DAW mode ? )
The answer to your first 2 questions is 'Yes'. The pads are nice and responsive out of the box and you can also calibrate them if you wanted I believe. DAW integration works smoothly and creating patterns and exporting them is as easy as drag and drop, that's all you have to do.

Polyrythmic stuff I have not tried doing. I'll have to check this out to see. But I wouldn't be surprised (if it doesn't have that) if you requested they then implemented it, as they are attentively listening to user requests. In fact stuff I requested is coming in version 1.7.
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I recently bought 1, and I love it....iots sooo much fun and very intuitive. i have maschine, and even though they are very different in what they can do, I'm having way much more fun with Spark...and it feels more like an instrument than maschine
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkahler ➑️
I bought the v collection when the price dropped - Spark plus a bunch of synths. Control it with. Korg Kontrol pad. Nice pads, not too complicated and I think better hardware than the Spark gizmo.
I think this is aesthetics. I do like the pads on the Korg Padkontrol that I had at one point, but I like the Spark pads a lot. I like the feel of them and also like the 8 pads in a row layout more than a square 4x4 layout. I find it easier to hammer out drums.
Gear Guru

Quote:
The pads arent quite Maschines quality...but theyre better than padkontrols or the mpds ive played...i think there was possibly a quality control problem with the first batch but no probs now

Dragging patterns in Live is a piece of cake...and its sequencer imports midi, something maschine still doesnt...you can also use the xoxox as a keyboard if you wanted to play a bass line in etc

I dont find the velocity layers quite as responsive as Id like...i think i can change the pads sensitivity, i just havent mucked around with it...but the round robin is excellent, it can really breath life into otherwise one dimensional samples...ive just started getting into this

But its a drum machine, nothing more...it doesnt have half of maschines features..but i think that works in its benefit...and arturia could learn a lesson in customer services, everything feels like a beta test in early versions...never had that from NI
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Guru

Should say i see on the forums that setting up in Logic isnt as simple as Live, so if thats your Daw check first
πŸ“ Reply