The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Spark...help me justify buying it during this current price drop?
Old 11th May 2013 | Show parent
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander ➑️
Damn you guy made me look into the Spark LE and now I kind of want one ! :/

Yeah same here, the original always interested me but he LE is more affordable...

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msl ➑️
Yeah same here, the original always interested me but he LE is more affordable...

I think the LE has an improved interface to be honest...I love the sequence triggers being right on top of the pads.
also they have dedicated buttons for kits, instruments and tune mode play.
and the size of it and built quality make it so desirable.
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Korg Pad Kontrol, BCR2000 and Live's Drum Racks are an almost impossible to beat combination for an ITB setup.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebastian21 ➑️
I think the LE has an improved interface to be honest...I love the sequence triggers being right on top of the pads.
doesnt bother me too much but it is a bit of a design flaw on the full size Spark

I do prefer the extra knobs dedicated to each pad though...I generally just leave them on decay, attack, and pitch, but they can be assigned to other things
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog ➑️
Korg Pad Kontrol, BCR2000 and Live's Drum Racks are an almost impossible to beat combination for an ITB setup.
I like drum racks even though I dont use it too much...I did have it set up with my mpd 24 at one point...thats what got me wanting a hardware/software set up

but for the price of your gear mentioned, not including Live, you can buy Spark, SparkLE or a Maschine MK1...plus no xoxox sequencer in your set up
Old 19th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➑️
I think they sound fantastic. I know some people even pick Spark over hardware drum machines like Jomox and others saying it sounded better or at least as good as hardware.
I have had Jomox drums in my studio for over a decade; I'm a bit of an analogue drum fascist.. Last weekend I sold my beloved xBase 999 mainly because Spark does sound every bit as analogue as the 999. I love fact that when u tweak sounds, u get happy accidents in that analogue fashion.

Saying this, I can imagine selling Spark if my only gripe is not resolved: the thing that sets Spark apart from its competition is the synth engines BUT these are hidden behind menus! So, you can happily use dedicated knobs for panning and 2 Aux sends but the glorious synth engine need mouse control. why would anyone design it like this!?

So, I have to use Spark rigged up to a Novation controller-all those knobs and u still have to use a external controller.

Hopefully this will be addressed as its a big hinderance.
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nope. Didn't like it. Pad layout is odd. You could get a proper drum synth for not much more.
Old 20th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can't you just reassign the 3 instrument knobs for each track to the other synth parameters you want? If it's not doing what you want, you should make a suggestion in the Arturia forums. They seem pretty receptive on making updates and user requested changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebastian21 ➑️
This is exactly why I bought Spark LE. The X0X buttons are important to me since I use them a lot, even more than the 8 pads. I think the layout is actually perfect on Spark LE with the X0X buttons right above the 8 pads. I do think the LE could be improved though. It needs a dedicated Accent button (they are going to add a shift command in the next OS update so that it is accessible from the hardware). I also think they should have a shuffle knob and 3 more instruments knobs (for a total of 6 instrument knobs). If they did, it would be perfect, which I hope they make a version 2 like this. But all in all, I like it more than Maschine as is.
Old 3rd January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just got arturia spark, I don't have the hardware unit yet, just using it on my computer. I'm trying to lay down some beats on an existing song and I find it frustrating that there's no easy song mode feature that can sync up to a session, I just want to drop in on certain spots in the session and overdub hear and there. From what I can gather from the online manual is you have to build patterns first than drop them into their song mode which I've tried and gave up because it's a unusually slow process. Plus you have to start from the beginning each time to make sure the song lines up properly, if skip to the middle of the song it's off. there-must be an easier way. I'm used to the mpc 2000 where you just program the length of bars you need and just play where you want and if you need to ad over dubs in later spots you just go there and the song is synced to the right spot. In spark it seems you can only work in smaller 4 to 8 bar chunks and then line them up beside each other, really slow process. But most frustrating it doesn't slave to my session, you can't sync to a session. Anyone know how to slave to an existing session. I'm losing my mind. Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Just bought one brand new for $199 US. I love it + it feels very solidly built. Needed an X0X controller and this fits the bill. Matter of fact, it was nearly $100 less than its little brother. Very happy.
Old 4th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy ➑️
I just got arturia spark, I don't have the hardware unit yet, just using it on my computer. I'm trying to lay down some beats on an existing song and I find it frustrating that there's no easy song mode feature that can sync up to a session, I just want to drop in on certain spots in the session and overdub hear and there. From what I can gather from the online manual is you have to build patterns first than drop them into their song mode which I've tried and gave up because it's a unusually slow process. Plus you have to start from the beginning each time to make sure the song lines up properly, if skip to the middle of the song it's off. there-must be an easier way. I'm used to the mpc 2000 where you just program the length of bars you need and just play where you want and if you need to ad over dubs in later spots you just go there and the song is synced to the right spot. In spark it seems you can only work in smaller 4 to 8 bar chunks and then line them up beside each other, really slow process. But most frustrating it doesn't slave to my session, you can't sync to a session. Anyone know how to slave to an existing session. I'm losing my mind. Thanks
watch tutorials and more rtfm you'll get it
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have Spark LE and I love it, but I have the option to get the full size Spark really cheap. Do I need (or should I bother with) Spark if I already own Spark LE and really enjoy it?
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Too many knobs are always better than not enough. Only thing wrong with the full size one is the placement of 16-step X0X row, it's a little awkward physically compared to the LE model.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, I've heard that complaint before. One thing I am wondering is if I've built a track using Spark LE, can I then get to the studio and plug the full Spark in and continue working or would they run as seperate instruments? But the extra knobs are very attractive (as always).
Old 1st February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb ➑️
Yes, I've heard that complaint before. One thing I am wondering is if I've built a track using Spark LE, can I then get to the studio and plug the full Spark in and continue working or would they run as seperate instruments? But the extra knobs are very attractive (as always).
You should be able to. The only differences are in the software interface. I mean, you can choose the regular Spark as you graphical interface if you want while the SparkLE is connected, in the preferences/config page.

Keep in mind though that the Spark is quite a bit bigger at the expense of more knobby control.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like it for just being a simple to use drum machine. The pads feel better than most drum machines imo.
Old 1st February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Spark LE is much smaller and much lighter than Spark. That's the reason to buy Spark LE along with the fact the x0x buttons are placed in a convenient location. Basically if you want a mobile compact drum machine to use on your lap, get the LE, as the bigger version imho is more for studio use. If none of that matters than the only thing to consider is you get more knobs on the full Spark along with a dedicated 'shuffle' knob (though the latest Spark software might offer this for Spark LE hardware via the 'select' button) and the location of the x0x buttons between the two Sparks are different. Software is the same for both hardware units and I they are releasing version 2.0 really soon I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb ➑️
I'm 100% positive you can do this.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have both. Yes, you can start something on one and continue it on the other. I use SparkLE when I'm on the go or sitting on the couch and the big brother stays set up in my studio. Having both is great.
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Guru

I think with the upcoming update there are going to be even more paremeters added to the knobs and the xoxox placement has never bothered me, though its obviously in the wrong place...

Id stick with the SparkLE unless its a steal for the full size

Cant wait for the modular synth drums coming in a month
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does anyone know what the story is with the Spark original hardware? Not available from Arturias website or thomann anymore. Has it been discontinued? If so, will it continue to be supported?
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting, I don't see the full Spark available at other places either. Spark 2.0 software is being released soon. I'm suspecting they might be doing a new Spark V2 hardware unit. No mention of it yet though. This would be awesome. I would like to see it for both Spark and Spark LE.

This is the great thing about Arturia, they really listen to their customers, especially in the Arturia forums.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yep, that's my suspicion (hope). I'm gonna pass on this Spark v1 hardware and just continue with my Spark LE until the picture becomes clearer.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you already have Spark LE, I think that will be a smart move. I haven't desired having a bigger Spark, but I'm looking forward to another Spark.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Arturia, probably the worst company I ever dealt with, Tech support take weeks before they reply (even with their standard answer email), customer service is non-existant. they rarely answer customers on Arturia's own forums.
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Guru

The only arturia product i own that ive found great support for is Spark...Kevin, Ben, Adrien (??), answer things pretty quickly and respond well to requests...ive done a little beta testing for them as a user and they were brilliantly responsive compared to companies like NI.

Spark v1 is completetly supported in the next update, that I do know...the main features of the software are fundamentally the same, just redesigned.
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Have a look in the minilab Technical issues section, Arturia havent posted a reply since November last year, and the minilab is a relatively new product...
πŸ“ Reply