The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chromatics - Kill For Love info?
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Chromatics - Kill For Love info?

Hi,

I tried asking over at the "So much gear, so little time" but got no reply. Maybe this is the right place to ask, so here goes again:

Does any of you guys know anything about the production and/or gear used on this fantastic album? I'm particularly fond of the drum machine. What could that be? Ahhh hell, I like everything about the album! Tell me something, please.

CHROMATICS / KILL FOR LOVE (Complete Album) by JOHNNY JEWEL on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check out the live videos on youtube, looks like some easily recognizable synths?
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's one that appears in lots of their live clips that strongly resembles a korg 700s
Old 1st December 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think that you are right about the Korg 700. It also sounds like that synth on alot of the tracks. You can also spot some gear in this video:

CHROMATICS "LOOKING FOR LOVE" - YouTube
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
super producer johnny jewel has made quite a reputation for himself in the last few years through a plethora of projects on his label italians do it better including chromatics, glass candy, desire & the drive soundtrack... there are numerous interviews on the web.. he basically has a ton of analog synths & drum machines.. in this early interview he does mention his passion for 70's synths although you can clearly see a moog source and other 80's stuff..

In The Studio: Johnny Jewel | XLR8R

THE SELF-TITLED INTERVIEW: Johnny Jewel of Chromatics & Glass Candy :: self-titled magazine
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Spot the synth is a fun game.
Theres a Pro-One in the new cherry video.
Otherwise it looks like hes stocked up on old Univox gear, so looks like several early Korg minikorg/700s, a Micropreset and some bigger Univox stringsynth thing?
+Korg Vocoder, Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth.
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ thanks hadn't heard it yet

that reverb
Old 5th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax;

that reverb
What type of reverb is that!?
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure if this new Glass Candy video is a real "making of" kind of thing, or just a faux "making of," but there are plenty of gear shots throughout to give us an idea of Johnny Jewel's setup. And it's a rad song.

Old 29th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
GREAT STUFF! I'm such fanboy when it comes his stuff, that it is almost (well actually it is) embarrassing. Somebody is just doing it with style. They´ve got the gear, sound, image and the music just right according to me. Not too common these days I think.

Plus this guy seems really down to earth and hardworking. I saw Chromatics here in Copenhagen last summer and NONE of the band members made any facial expression during the show, kinda looked down and/or angry or arrogant. But just after the show, there was Johnny Jewel on stage packing his gear up, talking and laughing with people in the crowd. I think that says a lot about a musician and the appearance.

Also, if the plan is to make you feel envious it is working on me just a little bit I must say. Surrounded by vintage gear and beautiful girls, while touring the world and playing concerts in fancy places, doing music for cool movies like Winding Refns (danish director) Drive, photo shoots in stylish clothes and loccations, having your own record label and so on yeah, Im envious!

Anyways, thanks for the link man, lots of gear in the video!
Old 1st June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Is anybody able to identify the LDC microphone that features throughout the Beautiful Object video above? It appears in quite a few press shots also. The closest you can get to seeing the logo is at 1:04 and then there is a decent body shot at 1:18. It looks similar to Mojave and SE mics but it's not either of those.
Old 2nd June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterandpaste ➡️
Is anybody able to identify the LDC microphone that features throughout the Beautiful Object video above? It appears in quite a few press shots also. The closest you can get to seeing the logo is at 1:04 and then there is a decent body shot at 1:18. It looks similar to Mojave and SE mics but it's not either of those.
looks like it could be a Sterling Audio logo there
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen ➡️
Also, if the plan is to make you feel envious it is working on me just a little bit I must say. Surrounded by vintage gear and beautiful girls, while touring the world and playing concerts in fancy places, doing music for cool movies like Winding Refns (danish director) Drive, photo shoots in stylish clothes and loccations, having your own record label and so on yeah, Im envious!

Anyways, thanks for the link man, lots of gear in the video!
haha yeah its not bad. I loved that Chromatics album kill for love. melancholy in a very cool way. Nice production...
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Id love to know how he got the guitar sound in the background of "Kill for love"...has such an ethereal harmonic edge to it...

Old 2nd June 2013

🎧 10 years
They use an EHX Micro Synth pedal for guitar
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallu ➡️
They use an EHX Micro Synth pedal for guitar
cool do you have any other gear info?
Old 2nd June 2013

🎧 10 years
Their video for Looking for Love has some gear shots
Old 3rd June 2013

🎧 10 years
Also, in that video posted above, the Beautiful Object one ... It shows them using one of those old Korg PE-2000 synths for the piano, but the piano sounds in the song seem like a Korg M1 and not at all like an old analog-preset machine. Is anyone else thinking its a late 80s romper piano?
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Did you guys know he was commissioned to do the soundtrack to the movie DRIVE? - but they producers of the film rejected it? It was completed however, but then changed into a weird ass album:

Johnny is SSssssooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo so soooo dope. I read an interview one time where he said he only uses real analog, period.

One of my favorite productions of his. Shit is just insanely good:

p.s. Ruth from Chromatics is ridiculously hot and bone-worthy.
Old 6th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsound ➡️
looks like it could be a Sterling Audio logo there
Thanks! I think you are right.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
in another video I saw a Moog Source, a 909
Old 6th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ you can see the source in the post i made earlier up in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➡️
Did you guys know he was commissioned to do the soundtrack to the movie DRIVE? - but they producers of the film rejected it? It was completed however, but then changed into a weird ass album:
there's actually 2 johnny jewel tracks in the drive OST but yea symmetry is cool..

..anyways gonna go see chromatics & glass candy tomorrow evening, pretty psyched
📝 Reply