Quantcast
Understanding CV / Gate. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Understanding CV / Gate.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Understanding CV / Gate.

I have zero knowledge of modulars or interest (at this point) in building a full a Modular set up but some of my intended future purchases (Phatty, Perfourmer MKII & A4) include CV / Gate. I'd simply like to know how CV / Gate can be used to manipulate those synths beyond their standalone capabilities.

Cheers!
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Just think of CV/GATE has a monophonic alternative to MIDI. It lets one device communicate with another but it does so using voltage instead of a digital signal. The advantage is that there's almost no latency, so timing is significantly tighter with CV vs. MIDI. The disadvantages are calibration issues; V-scale issues; monophonic only; and you'll need an analog sequencer to really take advantage of the power.

Some keyboards (Leipzig, Minibrute, and I think LP) have CV outs so you can drive other gear from them.
Old 20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Cheers guys!
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Think of it this way. CV is a variable voltage, that directly affects the pitch of a note. The higher the voltage, the higher the pitch. You can also use CV to modulate something, like a filter. By simply step timing notes into your DAW, and then spitting them out through a midi to cv converter, you can get the filter to jump around all over the place in time with your music. Thats 2 fairly basic concepts for CV.

Think of gate as a square wave. Its either on or its off. When you hit a key, it sends an on command. Take your finger off a key, and the square wave reverts back to 0. Like a kill switch.

Sorry, thats the best I can do at 9 am with no coffee! Hope it helps.

alexP
๐Ÿ“ Reply