Quantcast
emu sampler salvaging - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
emu sampler salvaging
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
emu sampler salvaging

so my emu e5000 ultra died a couple of weeks ago and I've just got an e6400 ultra to replace it (I wanted more outs anyways so good in a roundabout way...kinda)

what I was wondering is, I know these are very upgradeable machines, I was just wondering if there was any memory or anything I could salvage from the e5000 to put into the new e6400? or should I just leave it in and put in on ebay for parts?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmethough ➑️
so my emu e5000 ultra died a couple of weeks ago and I've just got an e6400 ultra to replace it (I wanted more outs anyways so good in a roundabout way...kinda)

what I was wondering is, I know these are very upgradeable machines, I was just wondering if there was any memory or anything I could salvage from the e5000 to put into the new e6400? or should I just leave it in and put in on ebay for parts?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
I would keep it myself for parts. I still have my e5000 with Rfx and adar outs. They are great machines. I bought backup power supplies just o ensure I could use this thing till the bitter end.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think its the power supplies that have gone on mine, the lights come on but the screen is all blacked out LED an cand hear any boot up or anything
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Do you know if it has any ram or rom upgrades?
Yea my power supply sometimes squeals but i got backups.
Love the machine awesome for mangling sounds with the beat munger.

Nebs
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have an e6400 ultra I assumed it was dead or the power supply was done at least as It displayed similar symptoms to those described above. Turns out the fix for me was to reaseat the connection between the power supply and the mother board. Other users have gotten techs to solder the connection. It's worked for me.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot:. ➑️
I have an e6400 ultra I assumed it was dead or the power supply was done at least as It displayed similar symptoms to those described above. Turns out the fix for me was to reaseat the connection between the power supply and the mother board. Other users have gotten techs to solder the connection. It's worked for me.
Really? What do you mean by reaseat?
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Re-seat - e.g. pull it out and plug it in again so that you can be sure it's connected properly.

During transport connectors could be wiggled loose (of course, depending on type).
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That doesn't sound massively complex, could anyone give me a rough guide to which connection to "re seat"
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
On my E6400 ultra, I followed the wires from the power supply and re-seated the red connector (multipin) connected to a white connector which is attached to the motherboard.

emusonacid! • View topic - e6400 Ultra won't turn on

"It might be a problem where the power connectors on the power supply connect to the motherboard. I had such a problem with my E4 Platinum. I took it to a technician here in Ireland and did something to fix it. Got it back and soon after the problem reappeared. Sent it back again - he had a look through some old service documents and found a problem where the voltage across the power rails would drop below specified limits and the unit would go down when trying to boot.

The solution? He soldered the power rails to the motherboard! It worked.
Cost me a lot of cash - 2 repair shop visits. So I hope I can save you money by sharing this. "
Attached Images
File Type: png EMUPIC.png (429.6 KB, 936 views)
Old 19th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot:. ➑️
On my E6400 ultra, I followed the wires from the power supply and re-seated the red connector (multipin) connected to a white connector which is attached to the motherboard.

emusonacid! • View topic - e6400 Ultra won't turn on

"It might be a problem where the power connectors on the power supply connect to the motherboard. I had such a problem with my E4 Platinum. I took it to a technician here in Ireland and did something to fix it. Got it back and soon after the problem reappeared. Sent it back again - he had a look through some old service documents and found a problem where the voltage across the power rails would drop below specified limits and the unit would go down when trying to boot.

The solution? He soldered the power rails to the motherboard! It worked.
Cost me a lot of cash - 2 repair shop visits. So I hope I can save you money by sharing this. "
Sounds like that problem was print thru or something on the other board,, possible a defective connector or cable. but generally, EMU made very high quality stuff at that point. I have heard of the PS problems and that scares me a bit.. The E2 was a service nightmare and more complicated if it had a HD. I only turn mine on occasionally.

For the price that these things are going for right now it makes sense to grab another one as a backup. Keep in mind it's the "media" that is most valuable,, not the machine.. the more time you invest with the machine developing media specific to it, the more valuable the machine ultimately becomes. I have an E6400 ULTRA... Love the thing to death,,I fixed and sold a Platinum E4 to buy it. Tehy are different boards... but the most common problems with these E4's are software related, and it's very difficult to get or make the disks required to fix them. I spent quite few hours on that one....but now I have all the floppies and the process. thanks to a very small limitied resource out there. the software is actually very solid.. Where people went wrong was trying to load operating systems onto machines that weren't com[patible.. So...pre Ultra into a basic E4....then without the original E4 software to fix it.... door stopper. Out on Ebay for $50.00.... these are gorgeous samplers that would have cost thousands of dollars to purchase a few years ago. /very punchy sounding.
πŸ“ Reply