Convolution reverb question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Convolution reverb question
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Convolution reverb question

Hi guys!

Recently I have tried something new for me: Using a convolution reverb.
Somewhere on this forum I read the tip to use Bricasti M7 impulses. So I've done that together with a freeware convolution reverb plugin and I am really blown away how cool this is.
But now please tell me: It only emulates (or simulates?) the characteristics of the impulse file I am using, so why does this sound so good to me? I mean, all the presets sound like bringing air into the mix, I've never achieved that "by hand". Would I been using the actual hardware unit I would say it's the pure quality given by the unit, but this can't be true here.

Another thought is, that there must be something special about these presets. Otherwise why would someone sample the IRs of a reverb unit? Actually I always thought convolution is only used if you want your record to sound like it was recorded in the sydney opera house...or in the Grand Canyon.

Please enlighten me!
Old 25th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
yes, it's the IR of this particular piece of hardware.
actually, these IRs (Impulse Responses) are nice, the hardware is EVEN BETTER
it gives an unbelievable good "feeling" of space, essential if you have a small studio room or use it on electronic instruments.

making IRs yourself is not difficult and a lot of fun. you can go "realistic space", bounce the settings on a hardware unit, or go experimental.

welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Personally i only use now itb impulses and one or 2 vst reverbs , to my ears in most situations impulses ( good ones ) just blow away software in terms of character and colouring.

impulse freaks may like these

Kineticsoundprism esoteric impulses and synth patches
Old 26th September 2012
msl
Lives for gear

And for even more fun, try some rhythmic impulses, Logic comes with a bunch but you can find more on the internet, try them on drums, perc, hats and stuff. Hours of fun!

Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by worky ➡️
Actually I always thought convolution is only used if you want your record to sound like it was recorded in the sydney opera house...or in the Grand Canyon.
or like beeing proud owner of a bricasti or emt plate... for some thats more interesting rooms in production than the grand canyon..

see an IR reverb like a sampler for rooms.
Old 26th September 2012
Deleted 0dfcc1b
in my humble and rather ignorant opinion that Nebula is pretty much the top of any kind of IR styled verbs.

Chunky yes, impossible to use in real-time, again another yes, but sometimes its really worth it.

when and if i finally write anything decent that would warrant the time and expense (CPU, workflow etc) i would use it exclusively.

CDsoundmasters Producer pack (not sure which one) has some of the best.

The EMT plate stuff, etc, all good stuff.

Also, speaking of Bricasti, I believe that is being sampled for Nebula as well. Though it will not be a commercial release, I'm positive it will stand above everything else except buying the unit.

take my advice with a grain man, my music and sonics are not anything to write home about.

📝 Reply