Quantcast
Roland sh-101 sound characteristics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland sh-101 sound characteristics
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Roland sh-101 sound characteristics

Sorry to start another 101 thread on here, but what i have read doesnt answer my question.

I have an sh2 and am considering getting a 101 - Some people say there is not much difference, but listening to the demos on line there appears to be enough difference to justify owning both. The difference I hear in the 101 is that it sounds -
1. Bouncier
2. Has a snappier attack on envelope (which is kind of the same as 1)
3. Sounds more plastic, compared to the smoother/richer sound of the SH2
4. Overall a brighter, cheaper sounding machine (but in the best possible way).

Am I imagining this difference? can anyone who has played both confirm or refute my impressions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yes they are different sounding.

sh101 sounds more 80s/90s acidic, cutting.

sh2 is more a fat 70s beast.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
yes they are different sounding.

sh101 sounds more 80s/90s acidic, cutting.

sh2 is more a fat 70s beast.
Thanks Golden Beers. Thats the impression i got. think i will go ahead with my purchase
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I own them both. pretty much agree with what's already said

they do not sound "too similar" by any means
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What about a MiniBrute to go with your SH-2? CV I/O's ,arpeggiator etc. and sound's pretty close from some demo's.Half the price also...JD
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Crystals ➑️
What about a MiniBrute to go with your SH-2? CV I/O's ,arpeggiator etc. and sound's pretty close from some demo's.Half the price also...JD
I am a sucker blinded by nostalgia, but thanks for the suggestion
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapatron ➑️
I am a sucker blinded by nostalgia, but thanks for the suggestion
I am to.I have a SH-2 and a Moog MG-!.Juno 106 also.JD
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I am in the opposite situation -- have a 101 but still plan to buy an SH-2 one day. I say go for it!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spertia ➑️
I am in the opposite situation -- have a 101 but still plan to buy an SH-2 one day. I say go for it!
thanks. i think im going to do that
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
thanks. i think im going to do that
I miss my 101 too!
You might want to check out Dave Smith Mopho..it does a lot of what the 101 can do surprisingly..
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
... But with none of the hands-on instant gratification (surely?)
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbenn ➑️
... But with none of the hands-on instant gratification (surely?)
Mopho Keyboard
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer ➑️
I miss my 101 too!
You might want to check out Dave Smith Mopho..it does a lot of what the 101 can do surprisingly..
yeah, but its yellow and people will think im much cooler if i have a 101.
But i appreciate the suggestion.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yeah, but its yellow and people will think im much cooler if i have a 101.
But i appreciate the suggestion.
Heh..there is no doubt the 101 is much more beautiful!
But with the unavailability, cost and reliability of ageing analogue, it's nice there is a modern alternative that at least offers a similar weighty experience..let alone the advantage of preset storage
Enjoy the 101 tho..it is awesome!
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry to start another 101 thread on here, but what i have read doesnt answer my question.

I have an sh2 and am considering getting a 101 - Some people say there is not much difference, but listening to the demos on line there appears to be enough difference to justify owning both. The difference I hear in the 101 is that it sounds -
1. Bouncier
2. Has a snappier attack on envelope (which is kind of the same as 1)
3. Sounds more plastic, compared to the smoother/richer sound of the SH2
4. Overall a brighter, cheaper sounding machine (but in the best possible way).

Am I imagining this difference? can anyone who has played both confirm or refute my impressions?

Thanks in advance.

SH2 and SH101 together are like this:

no, but seriously, its hard to find two small-ish monophonics that complement and works so damn well together. i made the same move just a few months ago, added a SH101 to my SH2. after having all sort of SH101s from friends passing thru the studio, flashing in front of my eyes... ... i just had to make it stop..

GoldenBeers decribed the differences in their sound pretty much..
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
SH2 and SH101 together are like this:

no, but seriously, its hard to find two small-ish monophonics that complement and works so damn well together. i made the same move just a few months ago, added a SH101 to my SH2. after having all sort of SH101s from friends passing thru the studio, flashing in front of my eyes... ... i just had to make it stop..

GoldenBeers decribed the differences in their sound pretty much..
Thank you clusterchord - that picture completely sold me - it appears the differences are enough to justify the purchase.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer ➑️
Heh..there is no doubt the 101 is much more beautiful!
But with the unavailability, cost and reliability of ageing analogue, it's nice there is a modern alternative that at least offers a similar weighty experience..let alone the advantage of preset storage
Enjoy the 101 tho..it is awesome!
i agree - it is good to know there are new reliable synths being made, but for now my heart is in the 70's and 80's, even though my head tells me i am a fool
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
personally i would get something totally different , 101s are over priced and there's lots of other more featured modern analog monos for the money(ish)

example

SE1x
FRXS
MFB stuff
slim/little phatty
dsi mopho keys
dark energy

all can be had new or 2nd hand for around the price of a top end 101 , some half that . all offer more than the 101 in some way be it synth architecture , memories , midi , modular connections etc

most importantly all have a totally different character than the roland sh tone to broaden the scope of your studio
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky ➑️
personally i would get something totally different , 101s are over priced and there's lots of other more featured modern analog monos for the money(ish)

example

SE1x
FRXS
MFB stuff
slim/little phatty
dsi mopho keys
dark energy

all can be had new or 2nd hand for around the price of a top end 101 , some half that . all offer more than the 101 in some way be it synth architecture , memories , midi , modular connections etc

most importantly all have a totally different character than the roland sh tone to broaden the scope of your studio

Features mean very little to me- it i want features i will go and program something in supercollider - It is about tone and interface -
Dont like the tone on new Dave Smith stuff or the new moog stuff - too clean and stable - although the SH2 is pretty stable - I have plenty of other tones in my studio, but want that 'plasticy' sound (not the best description) that I feel I hear in the 101 and cant quite get anywhere else. And I like theinterface.
It also doesn't make sense to me to say it is overpriced. It's worth what it is worth to you. Money is an abstraction anyway.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if features mean nothing and you just want buzzy plastic tone get a monotron/tribe/duotron whatever the latest one is
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
buzzy plastic tone

??
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the op said he wanted the plastic tone

i personally think the 101 is has a buzzy tone

as do lots of roland synths and other sh series

hence why I think their kinda similar and maybe get something else different
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK. Though for me, a plastic sounding synth would be something like a cheap 90s rompler like the Kawai K series synths. Minus the K3 of course =o] I don't find the Monotribe plastic sounding. Sounds quite nice actually.

Though i also think the Mopho is probably a better choice now a days. It sounds great and i could always get a very similar tone between that and my 101.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
rubber
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
if features mean nothing and you just want buzzy plastic tone get a monotron/tribe/duotron whatever the latest one is
I really appreciate the suggestions, but my only real interest is wether the sound of the SH2 and 101 are significantly different to justify owning both.
My description of the sound is not that important.
A few people on the thread, who own (or have played) both have suggested that they are different enough. This was my feeling from listening to demos, but it is not always so easy to tell from youtube videos.

There is also the compatibility between these synths (both CV/Gate) - being able to control the SH2 with the Sh101 features (limited as they are) for example - as clusterchord pointed out, they compliment each other well.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahrman ➑️
rubber
rubber. yes. rubber
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd say go for it.
I had a SH-2 and still have a SH-101 and they have really nothing in common. Fat tone vs acidic/plastic tone.
When it comes to features, I would take a SH-101 over any synth mentioned in this thread any day.
The 101 sequencer is brillant. Use it to sequence the SH-02 and you'll be in analog heaven.
Safe buy imho.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just get one. They rock.

I have a bunch of gear and have sold Junos, all kinds of JXs, polysixes, and system 100s...
The 101 remains.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWAX ➑️
I'd say go for it.
I had a SH-2 and still have a SH-101 and they have really nothing in common. Fat tone vs acidic/plastic tone.
When it comes to features, I would take a SH-101 over any synth mentioned in this thread any day.
The 101 sequencer is brillant. Use it to sequence the SH-02 and you'll be in analog heaven.
Safe buy imho.
Already gone for it, but good to have the differences confirmed further.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I sold the SH-2 (nice but dirty and a little wooly, no great as a punchy liquid bass synth, it's not subtle at all), SE-1x(pretty good tone but crappy envelopes and overall a little restricted sounding), Phatty (boring, plugin-ish), microcon II (nice tone, nice filter, OK envelopes but no punch).

Now I've got a little modular for the Moog sound and a 101 for the ultra-fast envelopes, the rubbery tone, the way it elegantly fits into an arrangement. None of the affordable modern stuff can compete with that IMO.
πŸ“ Reply