Quantcast
Roland sh-101 sound characteristics - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland sh-101 sound characteristics
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
All this talk about the two Roland's just got me wondering the, what you thoughts are about the SH101 and the SH09? Since they're single Osc synths.

Qf
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qfactor ➑️
All this talk about the two Roland's just got me wondering the, what you thoughts are about the SH101 and the SH09? Since they're single Osc synths.

Qf
The 09 ist just a single-oscillator SH-2.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Qf
https://gearspace.com/board/electron...1-vs-sh09.html

ps at the moment it's exactly 50 50 split on which people prefer
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
https://gearspace.com/board/electron...1-vs-sh09.html

ps at the moment it's exactly 50 50 split on which people prefer
Not any more

By the way, my reason for the 101 over 09 was solely to attract girls

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd ➑️
Not any more

looking at your avatar, i have to ask:

girls of what age?!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
I sold the SH-2 (nice but dirty and a little wooly, no great as a punchy liquid bass synth, it's not subtle at all), SE-1x(pretty good tone but crappy envelopes and overall a little restricted sounding), Phatty (boring, plugin-ish), microcon II (nice tone, nice filter, OK envelopes but no punch).

Now I've got a little modular for the Moog sound and a 101 for the ultra-fast envelopes, the rubbery tone, the way it elegantly fits into an arrangement. None of the affordable modern stuff can compete with that IMO.
Wooly is quite a good description of SH2 and that works quite well for certain things, but as you say not that punchy. And I think modular would be the only other alternative - I feel that is where the interesting tones are coming from these days. I listened to a couple of new 'Make Noise ' Oscillators at NAMM last year that were far more interesting sounding than the New Moog or DSI stuff. Im just scared of going modular because I know i will get addicted.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

girls of what age?!
It's not Pedobear, it's Obiebear, his synthesist older brother. Look at his arms and legs.

Pedobear likes 12-year-old girls, Obiebear likes 12dB/oct filters.

Back on topic: If I had to describe the SH-101 sound in as few words as possible, I would call it a rubber knife.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's not Pedobear, it's Obiebear, his synthesist older brother. Look at his arms and legs.

Pedobear likes 12-year-old girls, Obiebear likes 12dB/oct filters.

Back on topic: If I had to describe the SH-101 sound in as few words as possible, I would call it a rubber knife.
a rubber knife sounds perfect for my needs
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The rubbery attack makes me wonder how is the sub bass of the 101. Can you make those powerful smooth subs with it? Or is it more low mid-heavy as some say?
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➑️
The rubbery attack makes me wonder how is the sub bass of the 101. Can you make those powerful smooth subs with it? Or is it more low mid-heavy as some say?
its def a bit mid heavy, but it's not a wimp on bass, either. A cem oscillator through a roland filter, there's probably not really many other monosynths with that combination.

It won't sound like an sh-2 though. and it's not two osc, you're not going to get those pro-one/p5 bass arpeggio kinda sounds out of it or either. However, when you realize what it's good for, you'll probably start to recognize it's sound a lot more all over the place....it's got some acid in it!
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
definitely can do on SH101. tho for really deep thick sub-bass, i prefer SH2 (or SH9). just a single osc.

btw, whats great about running SH synths via midi-cv is it can extend the range lower than its covered with synths own keyboard. which means you don't neceserilly have to use the dedicated sub-osc to get that low. you can get regular oscillator (or oscillators w SH2) down there as well -> now other waveforms (beside the square) are avail to you - this broadens the range of subs you can create.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
AvS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have had an sh101 for about 10 years and bought an SH2 a few years ago but sold it again. The sh2 sounds nice but also sort of generic. The sh101 has a way more unique sound due to the osc mixer, buzzy sound of the osc and the more agressive and characteristic sounding filter. The filter was the most frustrating ting about the sh2. Nice sound but you lose a lot volume when you turn up the rez wich i found really annoying to work with because you constantly have to compensate for the volume loss. Not so with the SH101 filter.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not any more

But what if your 101 is Grey?!!

Qf
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

girls of what age?!
That's an Ober-Panda, mind you!!

Qf
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For sub bass I found the SH-2 to be far too muddy. I think an 808 sample fired from an S1000 or similar does the trick better than a synth anyway.
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Attachment 311302

Little MC202 isn't pleased you didn't consider her! With a 2 track sequencer it would be ideal to sync to an SH1 and it has a similar sound to the SH101, though some additions and subtractions of features.

Sent from my SK17i 2
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS ➑️
I have had an sh101 for about 10 years and bought an SH2 a few years ago but sold it again. The sh2 sounds nice but also sort of generic. The sh101 has a way more unique sound due to the osc mixer, buzzy sound of the osc and the more agressive and characteristic sounding filter. The filter was the most frustrating ting about the sh2. Nice sound but you lose a lot volume when you turn up the rez wich i found really annoying to work with because you constantly have to compensate for the volume loss. Not so with the SH101 filter.
This is an interesting comment - that feature on the sh2 is annoying - although that seems to happen to a certain degree on any synth I have tried - yet another good reason to get a 101
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themachine ➑️
Attachment 311302

Little MC202 isn't pleased you didn't consider her! With a 2 track sequencer it would be ideal to sync to an SH1 and it has a similar sound to the SH101, though some additions and subtractions of features.

Sent from my SK17i 2
I have considered the MC202 - I guess its the interface of the 101 that is so appealing - The immediacy - I recently got a 606 and the interface is so good and immediate that it is an absolute joy to create with - (i got this mod done on it too - Roland TR-606 Exfade MKII mod - YouTube - amazing - probably not for the purist, but worth looking into if you have a 606 -opens up a lot of possibilities)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But what if your 101 is Grey?!!

Qf
...Mine is. But I got the grip, strap, and gig bag.

Better than a red one without a grip.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
doesnt teh SH-101 use the Roland IR3109 chip inside? gives it that warm filtered sound thats so organic
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just received my SH-101 and been noodling for an hour. It's fantastic! I wasn't sure how much it would add to my arsenal as there's already a Moog Source and a JP8. I can definitely say it adds a lot and something I was truly lacking.

The envelopes are just perfect. Even though the JP8's discrete osc's are a little fatter and more "analogue" sounding, the JP8 doesn't make these rubbery snappy bass sounds (even if it has the same env chip) - nothing else does I suppose. Deep sub bass is also better than JP8 but needs some analogue EQ for weight. The 101 is cleaner (especially the squarewave) and more plasticky, in a good way, and it has the slightly more punch (as opposed to one JP8 osc; JP's unison is probably punchier) and cuts better through the mix.

It's not much of a lead machine - the Source easily kills it in this respect. The Source also has fatter and perhaps richer sounding bass and more versatility. But even the Source doesn't match the punch of the 101. The 101 is just so effortless.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➑️
I just received my SH-101 and been noodling for an hour. It's fantastic! I wasn't sure how much it would add to my arsenal as there's already a Moog Source and a JP8. I can definitely say it adds a lot and something I was truly lacking.

The envelopes are just perfect. Even though the JP8's discrete osc's are a little fatter and more "analogue" sounding, it doesn't make these rubbery snappy bass sounds (even if it has the same env chip) - nothing else does I suppose. Deep sub bass is also better than JP8 but needs some analogue EQ for weight. The 101 is cleaner (especially the squarewave) and more plasticky, in a good way, and it has the slightly more punch (as opposed to one JP8 osc; JP's unison is probably punchier) and cuts better through the mix.

It's not much of a lead machine - the Source easily kills it in this respect. The Source also has fatter and perhaps richer sounding bass and more versatility. But even the Source doesn't match the punch of the 101. The 101 is just so effortless.
Indeed.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
Indeed.
+1

Set up a 909/707 to send the rim trigger to the 101.
Put it in "Hold" mode, press one of the arp buttons.. smash lots of keys until it sounds good. Endless fun.

Then you realise you've been doing it for 4 hours and it's 2am.
VST
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➑️
+1

Set up a 909/707 to send the rim trigger to the 101.
Put it in "Hold" mode, press one of the arp buttons.. smash lots of keys until it sounds good. Endless fun.

Then you realise you've been doing it for 4 hours and it's 2am.
Now only if it had filter CV..

I agree with all that's been said here for the most part. The 101 has that great laser like resonance. It's so smooth, goes from zaps to 808 sine bass in a second. Mine, sadly has a broken scanning chip so the keys don't work (CV trigger is fine, thank god) That's the risk with old gear though.
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I can't believe no one has bundled a bill of materials with all the parts needed to build yourself an SH-101, like the x0xb0x for the TB-303...
Old 14th October 2012 | Show parent
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa Travellers ➑️
I can't believe no one has bundled a bill of materials with all the parts needed to build yourself an SH-101, like the x0xb0x for the TB-303...
101 has many out-of-production IC chips, such as CEM3340 oscillator and Roland IR3109 filter. 303 has discrete parts for filter and oscillator and that is why x0xb0x can be built with parts that are highly available. 101 clone is possible, but not as practical. There are modular solutions that probably can come pretty close to the 101 sound. Some module companies make modules based on those OOP chips, but you will have a modular and not a 101.
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Some module companies make modules based on those OOP chips
I see...So this means it's actually feasable. This reminds me that electronician who builds the cloned chips for the Juno-106 voice replacements.
Old 14th October 2012 | Show parent
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa Travellers ➑️
I see...So this means it's actually feasable. This reminds me that electronician who builds the cloned chips for the Juno-106 voice replacements.
It may be feasible. I think some modular company, maybe Doepfer, has made a CEM3340 oscillator module. Maybe someone has made a IR3109 filter module. I am talking about modules that actually have the original chip installed. As for cloning an integrated circuit, that would be very difficult. You need special equipment to manufacture an integrated circuit chip. The equipment to make a microchip is not something that can easily be built or purchased cheap. After that, you also need the schematics to the chip itself, which may be floating around on the Internet.
πŸ“ Reply