Quantcast
Octatrack - How does it fit in your setup/workflow? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Octatrack - How does it fit in your setup/workflow?
Old 17th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM ➡️
The headphone DAC is some cheapy iirc. Most digital instruments seem to have a crap headphone DAC no matter how expensive they are
Why would they use a separate DAC for the heaphone output rather than simply feeding from the main analogue outs?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snogglethorpe ➡️
Why would they use a separate DAC for the heaphone output rather than simply feeding from the main analogue outs?
Main outs - line level, balanced
Headphones - not line level, unbalanced.

Teenage Engineering labels the OP-1's line out "headphones" and it sounds like complete ass with most headphones due to impedance mismatching. Hissy/noisy as hell unless your cans have a high impedance and good noise ratio. I run a Fiio E5 headphone amp to kill the hiss when using my 'iPod era' Klipsch S4i (16 or 32ohm, I forget. Something low that an MP3 player amp can drive easily).

In contrast, the Octatrack's headphone out is quiet and nice. It's a damned better DAC than the one in MacBooks

But I digress. As you were, thread. As you were.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM ➡️
Main outs - line level, balanced
Headphones - not line level, unbalanced.
Right, I understand that. But you can feed the headphone outs from the same internal analogue signal as the main outs, through its own analogue amp circuit (or whatever) to yield the correct characteristics, you don't need a separate DAC. I expect that doing that would even be cheaper...

You know, the same way non-digital equipment does headphone outs...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 ➡️
the audio quality isn't that great, I think the mpc3000 is higher quality.
LOL...of course the MPC3000 is higher quality, many consider it the best sounding drum machine sampler to this day! it also cost over 3000 euros, back then these machines were oriented towards the high-end pro market, no cost saving measures were spared. sadly in this day and age, converters & such are the first thing a developer will cut. we all know decent quality AD/DA converters will run you at least 1K so it's quite obvious when you have such as machine as the OT costing 1K total, that the converters aren't going to be black lion/apogee/RME quality..

That being said, I've heard far worst... the OT converters are pretty transparent but they do tend to flatten the sound a bit.. you can use that to your advantage though, after all compressing/limiting kind of does that anyways so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➡️
I continue to be puzzled by this piece of kit. I do not get it, but I am obviously not alone in this. So the bottom line seems to be that the Ocatrack is designed to be a really fun hands on toy/tool rather than a studio worthy production tool. For those of you that own the Octatrack and use it regularly...what does it excel at that sets it apart from a DAW with a good control surface?
the OT is a quirky SOB.. i can tell you i did not get it myself before buying it, and had studied it closely for several months.. certain parts still elude me, it's a really complex machine.. what i can tell you is it's no toy.. elektron gear is slowly becoming unavoidable in many pro artists gear list.. it's also light years apart from DAW workflow.. the step sequencer, p-locks, scenes, the crossfader.. totally unique when you combine them..

i like what zombie nation had to say about it in a recent gear check:

The second track on the album, ‘Level’, started off with the Octatrack. There are all these breaks which push up and up – I did it with the crossfader. It’s a retriggered sound with different start and end points, controlled by the crossfader. I jammed around then cut out the best parts. ‘Pony’ I also did on the Octatrack.
It has a lot of potential. It’s super genius. I don’t know of any software where you can do this kind of stuff. I find it fascinating.
There are things about it I don’t understand yet. I have this thing with Elektron products where I don’t use them for two or three months, then I get afraid to touch them again. When I go back to them it’s like, ‘Why didn’t I use this? It’s magic! It’s insane!’
Old 26th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
...I have this thing with Elektron products where I don’t use them for two or three months, then I get afraid to touch them again. When I go back to them it’s like, ‘Why didn’t I use this? It’s magic! It’s insane!’[/I]
I`ve had this too! Helped moving it so its right under my fingertips tough
Old 3rd February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veck ➡️
The problem with the Octatrack is, that you only have max. 4 note chords in the midi sequencer. But it is a huge tool for live improvisation. I use the octatrack with an mpc 2500..best of both worlds..

I would start with an Octatrack and later add an MPC 1000 and a DSI Mopho 4x and use the Octatrack as heart of your setup.
Since I own all the gear you mention, could you expand on how you use them?

I have yet to really integrate the octa yet as most of what it can do can be done more easily elsewhere.

But I may be missing something, (or several things)

How does your Octa, mpc1000, DSI x4 workflow operare?
Old 17th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➡️
I'm kinda torn between getting an MPC3000 or an Octatrack as the heart of my new setup (sold all my music gear a few months ago, now planning a new one). Both have their pros and cons, so opinions would be welcome.

I'd be mostly making 90's inspired house and techno.

MPC3000:
+ Authentic sound
+ Pads
+ Great for sequencing external gear
- Old, hard to service
- Never for sale in Finland, and I hate buying 2nd hand from abroad
- SCSI for data storage

Octatrack

+ Modern
+ Great for sequencing itself, with parameter locks and stuff
+ Serviceable, warranty
+ Easy to obtain
+ As a former MnM user, I know how Elektron gear operates
- Probably a lot harder to make it sound like a 90's sampler
- Only 1 midi out
- Sequencing external gear harder, due to some issues (lack of midi note off data for example)
- Not enough outputs

It's a tough decision!
MPC 3000 is way overhyped in my books, check some sound vs sound comparisons or entire tracks done with one before you decide whether there is any "Mojo" to the sound or not.

Make up your own mind about that, because using antiquated gear REALLY needs to be worth it for the modern features and convenience you'll be giving up.

I own and use an Octatrack but the fact remains...

MPC1000 w/ JJOS2XL absolutely DESTROYS the Octatrack in every conceivable way, just like it obliterates those new MPC's they are passing off as finished pieces of hardware fit to be sold to consumers (Yes, they are JUNK, just like the MPC1000 would be without its guardian angel JJ)

How anyone would sentence themselves to running their set-up off an Octatrack is beyond me, that would be like a guitar player deciding to only use one hand. I'll limit myself thank you very much, I don't need Elecktron to handicap hardware then tell me how lucky I am that they did.

Octatrack is a good sound mangler, and good for Octatrack specific music, or "Non-playing" musicians. it does not lend it's self to the competent musician with a vision they are trying to execute.

Remember that...it will serve you well

Octatrack is for programmers

MPC1000/2500 w/ JJOS is for Players

MPC 3000 or 60 is for snobs who probably don't make music anyway

MPC5000 is for masochists

MPC X or whatever they call it is for people who enjoy being ripped off

MPC 500 is for those who like pleasant surprises

MPC4000 is a mystery (But I hear its a good read)
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➡️
Octatrack is a good sound mangler, and good for Octatrack specific music, or "Non-playing" musicians. it does not lend it's self to the competent musician with a vision they are trying to execute.
Can't agree with that at all. A vision is critical to get the most out of the Octatrack!

Sure, happy accidents happen often with an Octatrack but if you want to write a song on the thing then you're best having that vision in place for structuring it.

And of all the instruments I have owned or played, The Octatrack is the one that has demanded the most competency.

I've owned a JJOS 2500 and hated it and tried the OT 3 times now! major love/hate going on with it. Now on to the MPC Live and don't feel "ripped off" at all. At the moment, it's exactly what I'm looking for. No doubt that will change in time though - usually does!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0n35y ➡️
Can't agree with that at all. A vision is critical to get the most out of the Octatrack!

Sure, happy accidents happen often with an Octatrack but if you want to write a song on the thing then you're best having that vision in place for structuring it.

And of all the instruments I have owned or played, The Octatrack is the one that has demanded the most competency.

I've owned a JJOS 2500 and hated it and tried the OT 3 times now! major love/hate going on with it. Now on to the MPC Live and don't feel "ripped off" at all. At the moment, it's exactly what I'm looking for. No doubt that will change in time though - usually does!
Also a very happy MPC Live user, I have had no issues at all, it works perfectly and the OS and hardware does everything I need. 6 hours battery life is making it a 'pick up and play' drum machine in my studio. Given the 'X' is hardly even out in the wild yet, I would think it is a little too early to have such a strong opinion!

I also have a OT, different beast all together but just as creative/capable,. just in a different way (it is the most powerful hardware sample 'step sequencer' I know of, but the fader and schemes make it a step sequencer performance instrument!
📝 Reply