Quantcast
TR-909 through a Distressor - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TR-909 through a Distressor
Old 2nd October 2012
  #61
|-|
Lives for gear
 
|-|'s Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➡️
Actualy richie hawtin ran it through a dp/4.

Its called decks effects and 909.
The 909 was ran 100% dry into a Vestax PMC-50. There was no DP/4, it was a DP/2 running to the PMC-50's AUX send and returning to a fader channel.

The 909 was very rarely ran through the DP/2.

DP/2 was used for 90% of the time tempo delays and the other 10% reverb and feedback loops
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| ➡️
The 909 was ran 100% dry into a Vestax PMC-50. There was no DP/4, it was a DP/2 running to the PMC-50's AUX send and returning to a fader channel.

The 909 was very rarely ran through the DP/2.

DP/2 was used for 90% of the time tempo delays and the other 10% reverb and feedback loops
I stand corrected on the processor used. Good to know and makes sense to only have the dp/2 for 1 stereo send.

It still doesnt change my opinion that the 909 needs good compression/effects to come alive. It has a very narrow sound set and anything to diverge it from that is a good thing imho.

The tr-909 had its time as a raw beast now I want to hear it with some spice.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
  #63
Deleted User
Guest
Hawtin's other favourite processor was a Wavestation A/D as well as the DP/4. I read Hawtin fed most of Sheet One thru his A/D.

Hawtin stated "The Wavestation A/D is my most favourite bit of kit", it can be seen in photos of his UTK studio in the early 90's and on his Plastikman live tour setup.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➡️
I have to disagree with this one. I would say Distressors are well liked for a reason, but you definitely can't squeeze nice sounds out of them if you don't know what you're doing and what works with the song you're making. Weirdly this applies to almost all audio gear out there and Distressors aren't any different in this regard.
they are well liked for a reason.. they are good and versatile.. but more in the department of equipment that makes it easy to make it sound.. But that dont changes the fact that 3000.- for a stereo compressor gives you some choices..thats a lot.. i know a guy that got a stereo pair rhode&schwarz U23 for just 1000 more... a unit that is allmost better than a fairchild...



Quote:
Investing in audio gear in hopes of making money is a bad choice of investment. Also it means that the person is not that interested in what the unit can actually do.
bull****.. only real cult units make profit and the trick is to know them before the rest of the world starts hunting them.. And that is only because of the sound quality a unit produces..so by searching the best sounding stuff that is out of fashion you have the units that build up value.
I had Tab v76 in my studio many years before the became fashionable again.. bought them for 150.- had to sell them at one point for factor 10..but still regret that i have´nt kept them longer because the price is way higher now. Going for old highend gear for bargain prices is never a bad choice...
Opposite to computer products a good sounding analog unit has allways a value in production.. so old highend analog audio gear is never useless junk like an old 10000.- macintosh for example.
And there are also old digital units like the eventide H3000 that are going way higher now than some years ago where you could get them for a few hundred bucks.. or publisons invernal machine.. was down to 500.- aswell and is now easily in the 2000.- department again.


Quote:
If you want Distressors price to go up, you have to wait for several decades before they start braking down and there are only few working units left. That's when the price starts climbing. That's what happened to all the hyped vintage gear people are collecting these days and paying huge sums of money for. Their price didn't start climbing the first day they hit the market and similarly neither does Distressors.
1 to 2 decades is usually the time that it takes.
But allmost no gear climbs over the original selling price.. , So the distressors will go lower at one point when the next standard en vogue units emerge. like for example valley people compressors that was at theire time quite the same fashionable and propper "everybody needs one" unit. And a valey 610 was in the 3000.- department aswell,when i recall it right..now you get them for 300.- Or all the aphex stuff, jomeek whatever.... not bad units really..just not good enough to have kept their value... Different picture for ADR compressors.. they are quite stable but also less as they was new... maybe the disterssor has it what it needs to be so well asked in 20 years that its still cult... but for now i rather see it as a fashion product.. like the manleys for example..everybody has one and the mechanical effort actually justifies the price somehow but in comparison to an 1950´s original not so impressive.

what i want to say with that is that to compress a 909 a distressor is not mandatory.. try a second hand joe meek or emt for less than half the price a stereo distressor set costs and you might find it satisfying enough...
Old 3rd October 2012
  #65
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
When I had a Distressor and a 909 it was an excellent combination. Basically a Distressor WILL give your drums that character your looking for. No other compressor I ever tried was able to match the Distressors imprint on the 909 whether it was hardware or plugin based. All other high end compressors I have used had a very neutral clean sound. That is really the last thing you want for your 909 and I would even say its the last thing any of us electronic musicians need, although many may differ in that view. You will not regret that purchase. Forget the Octo thing for now.

Edit:
Reading through the thread a number of people are suggesting more noise making boxes, plugins, or UAD and suggesting other compressors which are dubious in regards what your looking for. Trust me,. thats not the way to go. Those folks couldn't have used a Distressor and 909 in combination. Those two together are very inspiring. Absolutely no plugin compressor will give you that sound. I guarantee it 100%. And if your inspiration uses a distressor and you like that sound thats all you really need to know. Since I started buying hardware again a distressor will definitely be the first hardware compressor I buy.

Last edited by spaceacademy; 3rd October 2012 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 3rd October 2012
  #66
Lives for gear
 
kraku's Avatar
@audioconsult:

You're missing my point. And we're way off topic. If you still want to continue the discussion, PM me.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
MORDICUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➡️
I'd hazard a guess that if you try one, you'll end up buying a second one also for stereo compression purposes That has happened to numerous people on this forum...
Ok that says it all ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 3rd October 2012
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Sam an huel's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Keep your money and try a Focusrite Compounder and its bass expander on 909 kick. Classic.

Booooooooooooom!
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➡️
A EL8 does not put nails on coffins. It puts spikes through Skulls, like your avatar.
This was my favorite post in the other thread... I still haven't got fully over the Distressor. Maybe I'll just have to buy it s/h and resell it, if it doesn't satisfy.
Old 5th October 2012
  #70
Gear Head
 
martin909's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
After 20 years I still kinda like my early 90s setup for the 909 kick.
Mackie 1202 pushed into yellow and flat EQ inserted through Alesis 3630 with slow soft knee compression and noise gate.

Cheers
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 166 views: 78326
Avatar for Dirk Churlish
Dirk Churlish 4th January 2021
replies: 1609 views: 331470
Avatar for mikoo69
mikoo69 2 days ago
replies: 184 views: 31639
Avatar for chaosium
chaosium 18th June 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump