Quantcast
TR-909 through a Distressor - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TR-909 through a Distressor
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➡️
Is that opinion or fact?
a fact of cause.. ever seen jeff mills or ritchie hawtin using it during a dj set without any further processing? besides of hundreds of succesfull tech/house records that have featured it naked..

question answered?
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt ➡️
It's an opinion but I whole heatedly agree, there's plenty of tunes made with just 909
how is it just an opinion when reality has proven otherwise?

of cause you can use a 909 without further processing.. its build to do just that.. everything else is an extra and when people have the opinion that the naked sound is not "alive" than this is the opinion.. a rather uneducated one, we deal with a mostly analog drum machine here...
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
To be honest I cannot imagine that having a drum machine and then recording every single source separately through an aux of a mixer with a HW processor is more fun than just putting a nice plugin on single AND the drum bus and tweak them until it is right.
Just goes to show you're operating under a different definition of fun than many people who prefer hardware.
Old 27th September 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
kraku's Avatar
I agree with MrTechno: Distressors sound about 1500e better

I would also like to point out to everyone asking for compressor sound clips, that you won't really hear the compressor's magic just by listening to the clips. You have to use the compressor to tweak the drums/whatever to fit your own track. That's when you'll realise which compressor does great job and which gives mediocre results. It's all dependent on the context you'll be auditioning the processed sound in.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➡️
I would also like to point out to everyone asking for compressor sound clips, that you won't really hear the compressor's magic just by listening to the clips. You have to use the compressor to tweak the drums/whatever to fit your own track. That's when you'll realise which compressor does great job and which gives mediocre results. It's all dependent on the context you'll be auditioning the processed sound in.
I agree with that to an extent. However even listening to others' clips - if you know what to listen to - gives you a good idea what it does. Especially with something so familiar as a 909.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
schmuck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
Just goes to show you're operating under a different definition of fun than many people who prefer hardware.
"operating under a different definition of fun" haha what a choice of words!

I think you missed my point. Or maybe not, and in deed "many people" buy drum machines in order to record/process everything separately, in single passes, and assemble the end result in the computer. Because it is so much more fun rather than just playing the drum machine and adjust the sound/groove/processing as a whole to get the "feeling" of operating hardware
Old 27th September 2012
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizon ➡️
So, I am on a tight budget & I have a Mackie 1640i mixer with a TR-909. I basically sold a good portion of my older gear in order to buy the TR-909. I just love the groove & the tones. Anyway, I am always frustrated at the way the drums sound through the mixer with just EQ. I am thinking about buying a compressor that will give the drums some character. I really admire Levon Vincent's style / sound & I know he uses a Distressor to get his drums sounding the way that they do.

So, the ultimate question is, do I buy a Distressor or get a Prophet 08 rack module? Or, do I get an Octatrack? Octatrack would be nice, but then I'd still be complaining about how the drums don't sound nice. Same with the P08...

My limit is about $1200... & its the only money I'll have to spend on new gear for a few months.

I just love analog fatness & warmth. I have a tough time working in software because it feels fake to me. Has no life to it. I feel lonely working in software.

Since Distressor is only 1 channel in & 1 channel out I would have to put it on a AUX send or a SUB bus, correct? & then just record individually into the software?

The plan would be to have my TR-909 drums running individually to the Mackie 1640i inputs 1-10. Then, I could hookup the Distressor on an AUX send.. or a SUB Buss, I guess that makes more sense. Then, launch Ableton & record the drums from the Sub bus. I know I'd have to record each drum track individually or as smaller groups, but I think the overally achieved sound is WELL worth it with a Distressor...

Am I being misled by my assumptions on this piece of gear? I want to be able to record all my sounds through the distressor into ableton & then maybe compress the master out again through the distressor...

maybe this is too complicated a process... i dont know..

alex
Distressor will cost you a lof of money, more than the 909 itself.

There are various solutions.

1. Record the 909 dry into a multichannel audiointerface. Tweak the sound ITB.

2. Simplest solution which sounds great: OVERDRIVE your mackie mixer, but only to thicken it up. You will not believe the results! Especially when overdriving and tweaking the EQs. At least for the kick and snare. At least for the 1604 vlz this was working.

3. Go with a Overstayer FET comp, it can color the kick in a way I haven't heard before, very cool. It's a kind of mixture of compression and saturation and much cheaper than a Distressor. I tried on samples -> great punch. Probably should work for real 909 as well.

4. Don't use 909, but tremor. You will get fat kicks right out of the box :D Can be very frustrating spending so much money for something you can achieve with software easier. I have a 909, too.

cheers
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
a fact of cause.. ever seen jeff mills or ritchie hawtin using it during a dj set without any further processing? besides of hundreds of succesfull tech/house records that have featured it naked..

question answered?
Actualy richie hawtin ran it through a dp/4.

Its called decks effects and 909.

Also how many of those hundreds of records used the overdrive mackie trick mentioned above or compression on the machine? Lots.

How often did jeff mills have a dbx120 on the live pas he was working on? Lots.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
MORDICUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Don t own a real 909 .But Roland tr 707 ; Novation drumstation ; Jomox 09 and drumkits taken from various machines ( sh 32 ; emu xtremelead ...) are processed with distressors here ... kick with opto mode on the distressor sounds good to me ...And if i don t do it at the tracking stage all elements will be compressed with plugs and parallele compressed with aux busses ...

PEACE


MORDICUS
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
2. Simplest solution which sounds great: OVERDRIVE your mackie mixer, but only to thicken it up. You will not believe the results! Especially when overdriving and tweaking the EQs. At least for the kick and snare. At least for the 1604 vlz this was working.
+1.

Don't have a Mackie, but it works nicely on my Soundcraft mixer.
Kick/Snare overdriven a bit sound great... using max gain on the 909's claps is brilliant too. It's like being slapped in the face by a sound.

Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➡️
Actualy richie hawtin ran it through a dp/4.

Its called decks effects and 909.

Also how many of those hundreds of records used the overdrive mackie trick mentioned above or compression on the machine? Lots.

How often did jeff mills have a dbx120 on the live pas he was working on? Lots.
overdrive mackie trick? man... thats called mixing and has nothing to do with mackie..

you mean the 909 is processed allready when you run it thru a speaker? ooo k..

than you are of cause right that it sounds pretty death without that kind of processing.

i used the 909 often enough without any real processing and its powerfull bouncy and 3 dimrnsional sounding this way.. absolutly no problem to run it pure.. especially over a 20Kw pa...nice... But thats in your world processing again..

however back to topic.. there are cheaper ways to process the 909 than the distressor.. but i am sure the distressor is good for this too... but my preamps are better soundwise and just was 200.- per channel or less, but dont compress..just saturate a little and housify it even more.... old fet compressors from ADR also nice, like gemini or scamp modules. can be more extreme than a distressor..more noisy thou.. in the 500 per channel department.. A friend has a belari valve compressor.. a cheap italien thing.. but what it does with a 909 is quite extreme...

after having heard the 909 with so many different but nice processings it can be relaxing to just run it dry for a while...
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
overdrive mackie trick? man... thats called mixing and has nothing to do with mackie..
You are distorting the signal when you overdrive the input. Not all mixers overdrive like that. Try is on a trident s100 and you will see it crap out in a bad way. Some do some dont.

Quote:
you mean the 909 is processed allready when you run it thru a speaker? ooo k..
I never said that

Quote:
than you are of cause right that it sounds pretty death without that kind of processing.
Thats right, I am.

Quote:
especially over a 20Kw pa...nice... But thats in your world processing again..
No its not but a dbx120 IS processing.


Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=J
No its not but a dbx120 IS processing.


[/QUOTE]

and who told you that jeff uses a 120 all the time? i havent used a 120 in 20 years and havemt missed it... 909 over big pa is fine .. on some tracks you overdrive the bass drum.. on others you dont..

Its just stupid to say that the 909 sounds dead without processing.. such statements are a tripple for me..

in the same department like vst plug ins sound better than original synths or any daw sounds the same, a soundblaster is as good as a highend interface and other deff people mambo jambo.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
and who told you that jeff uses a 120 all the time?

Its just stupid to say that the 909 sounds dead without processing.. such statements are a tripple for me..

in the same department like vst plug ins sound better than original synths or any daw sounds the same, a soundblaster is as good as a highend interface and other deff people mambo jambo.
1. I didn't say he uses it all the time as I dont have info to that.

2. I stated all of this is opinion not fact. You are the one who decided to come hard.

3. You dont have to be a hardass to get your point across. You also don't have to inject straw man logical fallacy into your debates to "win".
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
MrTechno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
I am sure I would like the distressors but the excess has to stop somewhere (for now). Actually, I think today I would buy a pendulum limiter before a pair of distressors...just to push the main bus that went through outboard into the limiter a bit before going back into the DAW...(so back to excess again




I constantly *win* stuff on ebay
Yeah I am sure you would. I was on your soundcloud page and for the stuff you do it would fit right in.
Nice stuff by the way.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➡️
1. I didn't say he uses it all the time as I dont have info to that.

2. I stated all of this is opinion not fact. You are the one who decided to come hard.

3. You dont have to be a hardass to get your point across. You also don't have to inject straw man logical fallacy into your debates to "win".
i have to when you do such radical claims and call everything else just an opinion..
you can dislike the 909 sound as you want but its by definition not dead sounding.

you can look at the recorded waveforms and will see that the sound output is pretty alive in relation to a sampling drum machine..
When this is not good enough sounding for you than thats your opinion..cant argue about taste...

but its not dead sounding.. stating against that is stating facts ;-P
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
i have to when you do such radical claims and call everything else just an opinion..
you can dislike the 909 sound as you want but its by definition not dead sounding.

you can look at the recorded waveforms and will see that the sound output is pretty alive in relation to a sampling drum machine..
When this is not good enough sounding for you than thats your opinion..cant argue about taste...

but its not dead sounding.. stating against that is stating facts ;-P
You have to? You should go see a doctor about that.

You keep shifting the goal posts. I never once said the machine doesn't have that analog "alive" variable. You process it after that to coax out even more from it. It would be a shame to own that machine and just record 1 bar loops with it.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
you can look at the recorded waveforms and will see that the sound output is pretty alive in relation to a sampling drum machine..
When this is not good enough sounding for you than thats your opinion..cant argue about taste...
oh and I want you to see this.

This is a straw man argument.

"A straw man, known in the UK as an Aunt Sally, is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[1][2]"


We were never talking about sampled drums vs a 909. You brought this fallacy up for your own reasons and it has nothign to do with our little "debate"
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
MrTechno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➡️
I agree with MrTechno: Distressors sound about 1500e better

I would also like to point out to everyone asking for compressor sound clips, that you won't really hear the compressor's magic just by listening to the clips. You have to use the compressor to tweak the drums/whatever to fit your own track. That's when you'll realise which compressor does great job and which gives mediocre results. It's all dependent on the context you'll be auditioning the processed sound in.
Yes I can agree with you here.
I actually prefer not to bother with audio clips as I personally think you only really know the power of something like the distressor when you have owned it for 6 months or so.

Audio clips are fine though if you want a SNAPSHOT.

I have never based my decision on purchasing any of my gear from an audio clip.
I prefer reading about it from past users, visiting the manufacturer website , reading the manual and calling some other studio buddies for advice.

Then maybe when I am satisfied a drive to the dealer to play with those knobs in real life
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➡️
oh and I want you to see this.

This is a straw man argument.
BS.. you manifested your position with many additional arguments.. not so much to miss there.

have you ever worked with a 909?
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
BS.. you manifested your position with many additional arguments.. not so much to miss there.

have you ever worked with a 909?
Of course I have. how would I of formed my opinion?

So lets assumed I "manifested my position with many additional arguments" does that make it ok for you to use logical fallacy in your debate?

And please show me those additional arguments because Im pretty sure I only ever presented information about the 909 and effects and i certainly never wandered into digital or sampling vs a analog drum machine.

Actually dont. Im bowing out of this. Sorry all. Run em dry.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
schmuck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno ➡️
Yeah I am sure you would. I was on your soundcloud page and for the stuff you do it would fit right in.
Nice stuff by the way.
Thank you! Yes distressors get so many mentions related to electronic music...its almost inevitable to not try them one day.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
FakeOnMercy's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
You have to see one in person. The high end Elysia stuff blows away anything I've seen when it comes to industrial design in gear! It may not look like WW II gear, which is what's hot for a lot of gear at the moment, but if you're into forward thinking sleek looks, their high end stuff is hard to beat.

The faceplate is this gritty, textured matte colored steel. It's 1/4 inch thick, which is fat as hell for the faceplate of a rack unit. I have a MuseQ which has the same textured faceplate and when I first took it out of the box, I didn't think my rack screws were going to be long enough to hold it in!

The knobs on the Mpressor are metal, which just adds to the whole sleek look. Weighs a ton, probably because of all the steel.

If all you've seen is the xpressor or the nvelope, don't go by that. Their high end stuff totally looks like and feels like what you've paid for it.

That being said, I do like the little Vargas girl VU meters on the Rockreupel. They add a nice kitsch factor that's missing from gear these days.

Regards,
Frank
Hi Frank, I didn't meant to be disrespectful to Elysia or whatsoever. I own an Mpressor myself and I'm a very big fan of their products from day one plus also really like the industrial design a lot. Last month I had a Museq on demo, also because you and couple of other gs members are very positive about, so I wanted to hear it myself and yes it's great so will buy one in a couple of months. Thanks for sharing your Museq love here

All I wanted to say is that I love the visual design of the Comp One which to me looks like a WWII submarine with the new round meters.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeOnMercy ➡️
Hi Frank, I didn't meant to be disrespectful to Elysia or whatsoever. I own an Mpressor myself and I'm a very big fan of their products from day one plus also really like the industrial design a lot. Last month I had a Museq on demo, also because you and couple of other gs members are very positive about, so I wanted to hear it myself and yes it's great so will buy one in a couple of months. Thanks for sharing your Museq love here

All I wanted to say is that I love the visual design of the Comp One which to me looks like a WWII submarine with the new round meters.
Hi!

Oh, I didn't mean to come off like I was preaching! I'm sorry! I just wasn't sure, based on what you said, if you were familiar with the higher end Elysia offerings!

I love the WWII submarine looks as well (especially the meters on the Rockreupel!) It's just a different design aesthetic altogether. I love it all - the futuristic industrial design, the retro WWII looking gear and everything in-between!

I even demoed a dual Vandergraph once and although the sound wasn't for me so I didn't buy it, I still tell myself that if I have a spare $1800 one day, I'll buy one just to have it in my rack because I love the look so much! Hahah...

I do wish, though, that they had used the steel knobs on the Museq, like on the Mpressor rather than the plastic ones from the Xpressor. I do have an Xpressor and Museq so I guess they match better. But the steel knobs of the Mpressor look great.

Great to hear that you demoed the Museq! I love that thing more and more everyday. It's one of the very few pieces of gear that really took my mixing to another level.

Thanks again and sorry if I sounded preachy! That wasn't my intent!

Regards,
Frank
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
kraku's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
Thank you! Yes distressors get so many mentions related to electronic music...its almost inevitable to not try them one day.
I'd hazard a guess that if you try one, you'll end up buying a second one also for stereo compression purposes That has happened to numerous people on this forum...
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
MrTechno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
Thank you! Yes distressors get so many mentions related to electronic music...its almost inevitable to not try them one day.
Yes I am sure the time will come.

However given you have the Mpressor, and knowing how good this sounds you are well looked after I would say.

Prior to my Elysia Mpressor purchase I was convinced the Distressor was the best sounding comp on drums however now I am now so sure......
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➡️
I'd hazard a guess that if you try one, you'll end up buying a second one also for stereo compression purposes That has happened to numerous people on this forum...
distressors are overrated. they are easy to use that made them popular with all the people that dont have the time or knowledge to squeeze the sound with other means but in the end of the day i prefer a rack of vintage goodies over a distressor any time.. especially because the vintage goodies will win me money over time while the distressor will go down in value as all overpriced fashion audio products have done before.. when its down to 700 per unit its maybe a good choice.- and it still can be manufactored with profit at this price tag..the most expensive part are the nice big knobs...
Old 2nd October 2012
  #58
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
kraku's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
distressors are overrated. they are easy to use that made them popular with all the people that dont have the time or knowledge to squeeze the sound with other means
I have to disagree with this one. I would say Distressors are well liked for a reason, but you definitely can't squeeze nice sounds out of them if you don't know what you're doing and what works with the song you're making. Weirdly this applies to almost all audio gear out there and Distressors aren't any different in this regard.

Quote:
but in the end of the day i prefer a rack of vintage goodies over a distressor any time..
Fair enough.

Quote:
especially because the vintage goodies will win me money over time while the distressor will go down in value as all overpriced fashion audio products have done before..
Investing in audio gear in hopes of making money is a bad choice of investment. Also it means that the person is not that interested in what the unit can actually do. If you want Distressors price to go up, you have to wait for several decades before they start braking down and there are only few working units left. That's when the price starts climbing. That's what happened to all the hyped vintage gear people are collecting these days and paying huge sums of money for. Their price didn't start climbing the first day they hit the market and similarly neither does Distressors.

Quote:
when its down to 700 per unit its maybe a good choice.- and it still can be manufactored with profit at this price tag..the most expensive part are the nice big knobs...
The same applies to most high end audio gear as well as consumer products. Usually business people say that if you can't sell the product with atleast 5x the amount of money you put in to create it, it's bad business.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
the distressor will go down in value as all overpriced fashion audio products have done before..
the fashion last since more than 15 years ! there might be a reason for this.

for electronic drums api pre/eq and distressors are great if you want good punch
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 166 views: 78275
Avatar for Dirk Churlish
Dirk Churlish 4th January 2021
replies: 1602 views: 330100
Avatar for Digiplex
Digiplex 4 weeks ago
replies: 184 views: 31557
Avatar for chaosium
chaosium 18th June 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump