Quantcast
NI Maschine owners... 1.8 upate is now up! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NI Maschine owners... 1.8 upate is now up!
Old 24th September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
NI Maschine owners... 1.8 upate is now up!

Old 24th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
NI on free Massive with update...

"You'll be getting an email about this in the next 48 hours - might also be worth keeping an eye on your spam folder just in case it accidentally ends up there."



Old 24th September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
lysander's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the heads up !
Old 24th September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Cool! Finally!! Very excited about this, especially because now they can start working on 1.9 (or 2.0)

Hopefully, sidechaining will be in the next version, along with workflow improvements.
Old 25th September 2012
  #5
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Old 25th September 2012
  #6
Deleted 60622ed
Guest
Glad its out of the way...out if it all using the transport buttons in a daw was the biggest improvement...not sure I was as excited as some
Old 25th September 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Theres not much Im that bothered about in this update, I'll probabaly use the transient designer form time to time, I already have massive but I think its a massively shrewd (no pun intended) move to make the biggest dubstep synth come for free with this update.

Every teenage brostep/skrillex wannabe is going to be getting on the maschine gravy train.

This is good news IMHO, since even though it will be annoying on the NI boards for a good while it does mean that maschines future is becoming even more secure for us power users.


Personally Im looking forward to multi core support and µTonic/Tremor style built in drum synthesis in maschine.
Old 25th September 2012
  #8
Deleted 60622ed
Guest
Drum synth is a good idea...i havent tried utonic but Kong in reason is pretty good
Old 25th September 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I think they put in massive as a gift to easy the pain for the 2 colour controler owners...

i am always puzzeled that so many people give machine superlative credits.. For me its in big parts a blender product made for preset users like all native products theese days. And the development is remarkable slow.
For a product that is since over 3 years on the market it feels still like a beta somehow..
i wonder how many years the will need to give the 8 encoders some use..

but first things first.. more presets .. lets go massive..

Also nobody talks about the new multicolour version of the controller..

Thats part of the update too..at least for new customers..

will anybody change their old controller or do longtime users fear the eyecancer risk?

i personally see color coding on pattern selection usefull. would be also good when chromatic input mode would be signaled by a color change.. but i would be surprised when such user automated user interface feedback would be part of the game.. the hardware userinterface interaction is natives weak spot..there you see that they are no hardware company. When you see how little they make out of so many knobs and displays.. As a software company they act like such controls wouldnt cost money and the development depth regarding the ergonomics and overview is low..



Has anybody tested the candy bomber version yet? is that fun or rather a getting seasick experience?
Old 25th September 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Heathfinnie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
So you see the use of color coding but make four jokes about it?
Old 25th September 2012
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Surprise, audioconsult doesn't like something. Who would have thought.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathfinnie ➡️
So you see the use of color coding but make four jokes about it?
colour coding might be usefull when beeing engineered wisely.. a thing i dont expect from german companies.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot ➡️
Surprise, audioconsult doesn't like something. Who would have thought.
i like a lot of things.. my studio is filled with really nice stuff..But other stuff is crap and machine is not very convincing too and on a to go positition... collects mainly dust.

My 606 is somehow more powerfull as a drummachine..as is the elektron machine drum and also the direct contender of machine the mpc wins. My electribes are more fun.. but dont sample as good as machine.. but when i need clean samples i use the mpc..

So its just a fact that performance wise NI machine is no competition for any hardware drum machines of any price range.. The 8 encoders are more or less decoration..and i dont like to touch machines that feel stupidly engineered somehow.
Old 25th September 2012
  #14
Deleted 60622ed
Guest
cool...we sleep easier tonight

I use the 8 encoders all the time, in midi mode (megamaschine template) they automatically map in Ableton, specifically to my nebula plugs... which is great


but you dont like Ableton



or Nebula probably heh
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➡️
cool...we sleep easier tonight

I use the 8 encoders all the time, in midi mode (megamaschine template) they automatically map in Ableton, specifically to my nebula plugs... which is great


but you dont like Ableton



or Nebula probably heh
when i tried to use midi mode ableton live was crashing all over the place.. regarding the NI forum i wasnt the only one experiencing this... how have you made this working?

and why do you need to switch to midi mode to use the encoders?

in allmost all realtime playmodes they are out of function or do very redundant things. 2 big displays and 8 encoders to do what others achive with 1 encoder and a little 16 character display..

NI really handles the hardware surface like beeing software,.

or, no hardware company in the world would spend so much on controls and displays that do so little.

this together with the flashy lightning and the immense amount of preset sounds and beats make clear who is the adressed target audience here..
Not very cool IMO..

only good thing is the reaktor integration.. with the aid of an extra fader box to overide the blind encoder flaw you might be able to patch something that can compete with the elektron machinbe drum.. but.. i dindt had the time for that yet and as the reaktor user lib looks.. nobody had sofar..

Its really nice what elektron does with just 8 encoders.. having machine next to the machine drum the NI encoders feel really dumb and blind..

and something simple as the akai note repeat function is a firework on a modern mpc with just 2 or 4 sliders.. but on NI´s machine with its might blind encoders.. brrrrrr.. a primitv stutter that not even uses the swing settings.. boooring
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #16
Deleted 60622ed
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
when i tried to use midi mode ableton live was crashing all over the place.. regarding the NI forum i wasnt the only one experiencing this... how have you made this working?

and why do you need to switch to midi mode to use the encoders?

in allmost all realtime playmodes they are out of function or do very redundant things. 2 big displays and 8 encoders to do what others achive with 1 encoder and a little 16 character display..

NI really handles the hardware surface like beeing software,.

or, no hardware company in the world would spend so much on controls and displays that do so little.

this together with the flashy lightning and the immense amount of preset sounds and beats make clear who is the adressed target audience here..
Not very cool IMO..

only good thing is the reaktor integration.. with the aid of an extra fader box to overide the blind encoder flaw you might be able to patch something that can compete with the elektron machinbe drum.. but.. i dindt had the time for that yet and as the reaktor user lib looks.. nobody had sofar..

Its really nice what elektron does with just 8 encoders.. having machine next to the machine drum the NI encoders feel really dumb and blind..

and something simple as the akai note repeat function is a firework on a modern mpc with just 2 or 4 sliders.. but on NI´s machine with its might blind encoders.. brrrrrr.. a primitv stutter that not even uses the swing settings.. boooring
I think the midi mode problem is with MAC users, my main rig is a PC, and its rock solid...never crashed on midi mode

I switch to midi mode to use the encoders as in maschine mode they only control what is loaded in maschine, I only use it as a plug in...using the hardware for beatmaking and as a midi controller alongside v-control and a launchpad...for me its the perfect set up...maschine and v control also switch seamlessly into controlling Studio One and the touch of a button so when I switch theres no problems either

Im not sure If you have tried the megamaschine template for Live....it covers quit a lot...now in 1.8 the transport controls work with your DAW regardless of what mode the hardware is in

It may be no electron, but Im not sure I want more hardware from drums...I layer an R70 and R8m in with Maschine and it does what I want...makes beats


as for presets, thats your personal opinion...I do this for me, its a hobby, I dont care if I use a preset, a loop, a sample, a one stringed banjo through a wah wah...if it puts a grin on my face Im happy


Its far from perfect, the user forum will prove that, but it does what I bought it for

Not everything fits with everyone...Ill prolly introduce an MPC to my set up at some point...or maybe not
Old 25th September 2012
  #17
Deleted 60622ed
Guest
lol @ my blog
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
hogo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost ➡️
Theres not much Im that bothered about in this update, I'll probabaly use the transient designer form time to time, I already have massive but I think its a massively shrewd (no pun intended) move to make the biggest dubstep synth come for free with this update.

Every teenage brostep/skrillex wannabe is going to be getting on the maschine gravy train.

This is good news IMHO, since even though it will be annoying on the NI boards for a good while it does mean that maschines future is becoming even more secure for us power users.


Personally Im looking forward to multi core support and µTonic/Tremor style built in drum synthesis in maschine.
Well, you can use those drum synths inside maschine. It's quite nice.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Nut
 
tone_rekooda's Avatar
 
11 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
I think they put in massive as a gift to easy the pain for the 2 colour controler owners...

i am always puzzeled that so many people give machine superlative credits.. For me its in big parts a blender product made for preset users like all native products theese days. And the development is remarkable slow.
For a product that is since over 3 years on the market it feels still like a beta somehow..
i wonder how many years the will need to give the 8 encoders some use..

but first things first.. more presets .. lets go massive..

Also nobody talks about the new multicolour version of the controller..

Thats part of the update too..at least for new customers..

will anybody change their old controller or do longtime users fear the eyecancer risk?

i personally see color coding on pattern selection usefull. would be also good when chromatic input mode would be signaled by a color change.. but i would be surprised when such user automated user interface feedback would be part of the game.. the hardware userinterface interaction is natives weak spot..there you see that they are no hardware company. When you see how little they make out of so many knobs and displays.. As a software company they act like such controls wouldnt cost money and the development depth regarding the ergonomics and overview is low..



Has anybody tested the candy bomber version yet? is that fun or rather a getting seasick experience?
pretty much nonsense comment.

seems like you never played around with the Maschine, right? I have sold mine due to some reasons (money) but I`ve played some livegigs with it and I can assure you : Yes, the 8 encoders DO have been used A LOT. How can you say they aren`t usefull? Do you also wonder how long it takes Roland to give those sequencer buttons on the 909 a use?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Nut
 
tone_rekooda's Avatar
 
11 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
in allmost all realtime playmodes they are out of function or do very redundant things. 2 big displays and 8 encoders to do what others achive with 1 encoder and a little 16 character display..
next bull****.

8 Encoders. two displays with several pages. that means per display 4 parameters tweakable at the same time. 8 in sum. more than one page per display which means more than 8 parameters in a second tweakable.
and this all just for one sound or group. you push a button and can tweak the next sound. everything in realtime, no need to press stop. you can even record your knob twists, you can record every parameter change in realtime and live and on air and in a heartbeat.

and this is redundant or out of function?

You are a Maschine owner who doesn`t know how to use it and visits forums to flame a product you aren`t able to handle??
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
lysander's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone_rekooda ➡️
next bull****.

8 Encoders. two displays with several pages. that means per display 4 parameters tweakable at the same time. 8 in sum. more than one page per display which means more than 8 parameters in a second tweakable.
and this all just for one sound or group. you push a button and can tweak the next sound. everything in realtime, no need to press stop. you can even record your knob twists, you can record every parameter change in realtime and live and on air and in a heartbeat.

and this is redundant or out of function?

You are a Maschine owner who doesn`t know how to use it and visits forums to flame a product you aren`t able to handle??
+1
Old 26th September 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
So how long will it take NI to make the Timestretch/Pitchshift real-time and eventually become an ( sort off ) Ableton competitor ?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogo ➡️
Well, you can use those drum synths inside maschine. It's quite nice.
Oh yes I know, but Id like something built in and optimised, also easy layering of samples and synthesized drums would be easier or even modding the sample libraries using the drum synth parameters.

I guess I just want more synthesis power directly inside maschine.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone_rekooda ➡️
You are a Maschine owner who doesn`t know how to use it and visits forums to flame a product you aren`t able to handle??
Its pretty sad stuff isn't it.

My suggestion DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️
So how long will it take NI to make the Timestretch/Pitchshift real-time and eventually become an ( sort off ) Ableton competitor ?
Ive decided for myself i dont like the timestretch stuff.Ruins the purity of sound.Gonna get back(i never left)to fitting it all together the way it is...natuaraly.Long live TONE and AUTHENTICITY!!!!!!!

edit-just pitching and fitting together out of time for interest rhythmically.........
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️
So how long will it take NI to make the Timestretch/Pitchshift real-time and eventually become an ( sort off ) Ableton competitor ?
They are apparently working on a DAW like performance recording and editing system for maschines next big update. This along with multi core support (also being worked on apparently) would be a big bonus IMHO. It would be cool to be able to record real time maschine jams.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
lysander's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost ➡️
They are apparently working on a DAW like performance recording and editing system for maschines next big update. This along with multi core support (also being worked on apparently) would be a big bonus IMHO. It would be cool to be able to record real time maschine jams.
These are the two main things that are missing the most currently.
With these additions it would be amazing for composing and recording jams.
However, seeing how long it took them to release the relatively minor update that is 1.8 I won't hold my breath.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone_rekooda ➡️
next bull****.

8 Encoders. two displays with several pages. that means per display 4 parameters tweakable at the same time. 8 in sum. more than one page per display which means more than 8 parameters in a second tweakable.
and this all just for one sound or group. you push a button and can tweak the next sound. everything in realtime, no need to press stop. you can even record your knob twists, you can record every parameter change in realtime and live and on air and in a heartbeat.

and this is redundant or out of function?

You are a Maschine owner who doesn`t know how to use it and visits forums to flame a product you aren`t able to handle??
the encoders only have a function in the sound edit pages..and are mainly related to the single pad..no global parameters..except the macr page that is not as global acting as one would wish it to do.

during performance while you change patterns, mute tracks, do note repeats the 8 encoders are completly out of function or in the case of note repeat adressed in total redundant ways.. 8 encoders and 2 displays to select the repeat interval? look at the mpc that gives that control with a single page and allows parameter ,odulation while doing a repeat.. what makes them actually worthwhile...

and within the edit modes navigation to plug in parameters is not assignabel like in ableton for example that is very good there with its fx rack structure.. so when using a plug that dont has its relevant parameters on the first page you need to navigate and look to find for example the filter parameter.. unusable on stage this way.. except with reaktor where you can do such assignments manually.. so it works with reaktor.. and that is the key for me to bring machine to some use but thats a pretty time consuming act ..but has potential..

than you have the macros..that are in the end not so global as one would which them to be..again compare with ableton live.. however..the macros would be the key ..enhance theire functionality and make them accesible while the playmodes like mute/pattern select..note repeat are active..
and we would have a whole different machine on stage that could be operated without an external fader box..

I actually bought machine to get rid of another fadrebox..and i dont have enough usb ports on stage to have another fader box just for machine...

using the midi input on machine might be a solution but that dont works with my nano controls.. beside the support of the hardware midiports is a bit strange.. but there i admit that i ve given up on using machine before trying that further...the initial hickups looked to much like a deadend road..

So..when i would have nothing else than machine i would and could use it to make complete tracks.. its quite nice for writing..but on stage i am way better of with my nord modular...

one thing that would be great would be to allow machine a mixed midi mode..

wher the sequencer controls just control machines while just the encoders give midi out to control other devices like the nord modular... again reaktor the possible solution which acts for machine like max for live

so in short you are totally right..i cant operate achine properly because it doesnt allow me to integrate it in my livesetup without giving up on other main players or major reaktor patch aktion..which i will have to do in time..the reaktor machine combination is promissing.. i like reaktor..something for the winter....
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost ➡️
Its pretty sad stuff isn't it.

My suggestion DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.
when critizing is trolling its pretty well explained why the forums just give a hurray about machine while once you got lured in by that fanboy propaganda the reality is ok.. but not overwhelming..a lot of blinking but except making live less sad for plug in workers not so impressive seeing how many years the product is on the market now.. and developing into a daw? interesting..but i ve 3 daws already on my computer and plan to add bitwig once they are out..

so i rather would like a development in the stage use department.
The control over your sounds while performing is a big aspect of this.

The 808 has more direct control over the soundoutput of the drummachine while performing than machine..

same can be said about almost any of the big hardware drum machines.. possible direkt sound alterations while changing the patterns..

For me thats the key element for an electronic music live performance.. to have it all prearranged and just alter the filter on one sound is not really live.. A dj is more live than because he usually dont knows which track will be on in 45 minutes.. the prearranged liveset has this happening even when leaving the stage to have a dump...

Anyway, machine can be nice in the studio.. on stage its rather a blinking tool for laptop only acts.. in the absence of other hardware machine shines.
Old 26th September 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Polarelch's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I found sequencing a song in this a PITA with the "scenes" etc... did that get a change in the new version?
This is something I find REALLY bad in Maschine.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2 views: 1459
Avatar for mitgong
mitgong 28th October 2002
replies: 638 views: 96048
Avatar for Deleted 2c0affd80e87ff6
Deleted 2c0affd80e87ff6 21st May 2021
replies: 50 views: 6168
Avatar for Lazer Toms
Lazer Toms 8th December 2016
replies: 3728 views: 182620
Avatar for dwc
dwc 4 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump