Quantcast
NI Maschine owners... 1.8 upate is now up! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NI Maschine owners... 1.8 upate is now up!
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
For me its in big parts a blender product made for preset users like all native products theese days
How do you get that if it's primarily a sampler
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone_rekooda ➡️
Do you also wonder how long it takes Roland to give those sequencer buttons on the 909 a use?
?? roland is perfect..each button has a necessary and essential function.. all important parameters are direct acessible and the unsymetric layout allows navigation on the darkest stage without second thought and operateable by one hand..

The rolands are a studie in good instrument design .. only drawback is that you cant go to write without stopping..

nobody is perfect. but allways strange when a 21th century product falls behind a late 1970´s design. With electronic instruments we see that quite often.
Sometimes because software developers just havent got the importance of certain design decissions of the old machines.. And so even when trying to do a direct copy failing in reaching the original..

see all the softwar eclones of roland products that usually forget about realtime tap input and just focus on the running light step sequencer..

forgetting that the step editor is ment to edit the real time input...not as the main mode of sequencing.. so the main sequencer is the tap input..polyphonic on all instruments simultaiously..and than you can dive in with the editor to correct.. actually easy to understand when you wrote a 9098 yourself intesivly.. its so much quicker with tap..s quick that youz can do it on stage.. and because the 909 allows to be stoped and started manually while beeing in clock sync you can write it better on stage than some modern hardware and in comparison to plug ins??

ever tried to write a 303 line on stage with an abl or phosicon or xoxbox? impossible.. you cant dial in try and error like 16 steps on stage just to comunicate a quick rhytmical pattern idea..

So my critic on machine is a general critic on actual software instrument development... they add new possibilitys each year but fail to implement the standards in propper ways.

NI is in this regard even better than most other software companys but not there where hardware companys are. The instrumental factor is better developed in the hands of hardware companys...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock ➡️
How do you get that if it's primarily a sampler
5000 presets on board? but ok..thats the demand..and NI have to go with that. But sometimes i seem to remember that it was NI that started the 1000 preset frenzy and more or less created the demand...

my main critic is the controler handling.. the korg electribes show how easy it can be to write realtime modulations into one track.. elektron shines with its parameter locks and global control pages ..with jump back to the previous state..

coming from such machines you feel a bit forced to around the corner operation with machine..

in other areas like the direct sampling..pad assignment.. step input it is even better than many hardware drum machines..

its a bit ambivalent.. some areas are brilliant and intutive in the layout.. but when it comes to sound parameter control it feels pretty unready, at least in regards of stage situations where just dont have the time to fiddle thru menues...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➡️
I found sequencing a song in this a PITA with the "scenes" etc... did that get a change in the new version?
This is something I find REALLY bad in Maschine.
Me too. Alas, no changes in this area. Here's hoping for version 2...
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

11 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
audioconsult : I don`t have the Maschine at home anymore so I can`t try what you`ve said. But I never had any issues during live PAs, did several live gigs with it as the centerpiece of my setup. Drawing modulations during playback is as easy as with the Electribe MX. But I have to say that I just used 3rd party VSTs as effects, no instruments. I used Soundtoys Filterfreak, Crystalizer and that echo-effect and some 3rd party reverbs. Every parameter I had to use was pretty fast reachable.
So all my drums, basses, pads, leads and whatever were cut from preproduced tracks and loaded as oneshot samples into Maschine. Using Maschine as a sampler gave me tons of possibilities and control over so much parameters.

Of course you have to practice a lot to get fast and accurate and know what you are doing on stage. But you have to do this with every other gear too.

edit : The 909 sequencer button sentence was meant to be sarcasm.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anyway, machine can be nice in the studio.. on stage its rather a blinking tool for laptop only acts.. in the absence of other hardware machine shines.
I use my maschine in conjunction with a tempest, ESX1 & some monos and I agree its good to have choices. But maschine is a perfectly capable box on its own, there are plenty of people out there writing great tracks on just maschine.

Also regarding your denigration of "laptop acts", some of the best acts out there currently IMHO are laptop acts. Personally I prefer hardware but I can see the laptop guys are going for setup convenience, this is a matter of choice not quality of results. I personally do however find it easier to make "inspired mistakes" when using hardware. Its the primary reason I love my tempest, when playing live you never get the a track sounding the same twice, which is exactly how I like it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
my main critic is the controler handling.. the korg electribes show how easy it can be to write realtime modulations into one track.. elektron shines with its parameter locks and global control pages ..with jump back to the previous state..

coming from such machines you feel a bit forced to around the corner operation with machine..
I have an esx and er1 and I don't find the maschine any more difficult to use and build tracks on.

I used to have a machinedrum, monomachine and octatrack but Ive sold them all because I don't like them for live jamming, they feel too static and pre designed in terms of how parameter locks work also the MD used to run out of p-lock memory ALL THE DAMN TIME
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost ➡️
I have an esx and er1 and I don't find the maschine any more difficult to use and build tracks on.
difficult is a relative term.. just count the moves you need to make to achive certain results on a electribe and on machine and you ewill find out that the count for machine is way higher.. therfore not as good for stage action..

that you can manage it dont says that the design is ideal.. just says that its not totally crap.. buit i never said that machine is totaly crap otherwise it wouldnt be still here .. but for me its on a to go position.. i will se if the update changes that ..but the changes seem to be rather small..

that the start stop buttons are supposed to work for plug in use now is something that mightr change my mind even when its just a little thing.. but massivly annoying somehow when you write with machine..
📝 Reply