Quantcast
Sampler / Kaoss advice please..! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sampler / Kaoss advice please..!
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sampler / Kaoss advice please..!

Hi - Im a Hang Drum player and want to enter the big world of recording and sampling in real time - along with manipulating with a Kaoss pad. Im also a complete novice with sampling so please bear this in mind!
Id really appreciate some advice on a good set up - Im currently thinking of an MPC 1000 with the KP 3. Id use the MPC to trigger (and maybe also record) beats on the fly, as well as (more importantly) to record the Hangs while playing and then either chop up the file or run it through the KP. I was thinking of the SP 555 but then found out it only has a recording time of 15 seconds, which isnt really long enough for me.
I guess a few things I need to know are Will the MPC record for a longer time?
Is there a better combined unit that would do the job of the two? I also have access to a Boss loop pedal and wonder if this would be a better route.
Is the MPC 1000 fairly beginner user friendly?
Any tips much appreciated
Thanks!
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthewoodman ➑️
Im currently thinking of an MPC 1000 with the KP 3. Id use the MPC to trigger (and maybe also record) beats on the fly
When the MPC1000 is in recording mode, it can't play back samples.

Quote:
It's very straightforward.

If you want to record for longer stretches, loop pedals are a better idea, but those kind of take out the chopping up afterwards, unless you get something with separate outputs.
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the reply - sounds as though the MPC isnt going to work for me if Im unable to record and playback together. Will the SP 555 do this?
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm actually using an mpc and a kaoss pad with a dj mixer which is how I stumbled on your thread.

The mpc is not really designed for live looping, and the kaoss pad doesn't have a foot controller option so it would be hard with the hang.

Definitely sounds like a boss rc300 or something like that would suit better, where you could record a few phrases to drop in and out and maybe use the expression pedal for effecting your signal pre or post looping.

Did you end up purchasing anything? The hang is great for loops, so percussive and melodic.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattriks ➑️
I'm actually using an mpc and a kaoss pad with a dj mixer which is how I stumbled on your thread.

The mpc is not really designed for live looping, and the kaoss pad doesn't have a foot controller option so it would be hard with the hang.

Definitely sounds like a boss rc300 or something like that would suit better, where you could record a few phrases to drop in and out and maybe use the expression pedal for effecting your signal pre or post looping.

Did you end up purchasing anything? The hang is great for loops, so percussive and melodic.
Fist of all I am one of these weird guys that loves to sample on loopers, that is why I love my RC-300. I also own an SP-555. The only limitation is the inability to sample or loop with one button touch. Also you can save many loops and samples on a CF card, far more than 15 seconds worth, but they are almost impossible to find, buggy with the SP-555, and have to be loaded. I will soon be getting the smaller--less attractive SP-404SX unless Roland brings out something better at NAMM. But yes you are right the sample time of one sample is 15 seconds on the SP-555.
Old 14th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Another question about the KP3 and a DJMixer. I want to assign the KP3`s effects on individuals channels. Is this?possible?
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
FYI You can sample for hours on one sample of the SP555, only the loop record function is 15 seconds.
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthewoodman ➑️
I guess a few things I need to know are Will the MPC record for a longer time?
Is there a better combined unit that would do the job of the two? I also have access to a Boss loop pedal and wonder if this would be a better route.
The MPC1000 with JJOS will do what you want. However, I think you are better served with the BOSS loop pedal because you can operate it with your foot leaving your hands free for the Hang. By the same token, guitar effects pedals would work better than the hand-operated KP3.
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an FCB1010 that I use to completely control my kp3 for hands free live looping. Since there's 2 foot pedals I can control the xy pad with my feet as well. Pretty much every function of kp3 is midi controllable so any midi foot controller could get you there.
πŸ“ Reply