Quantcast
If space constraints were your only reason for selling a synth what would you do? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If space constraints were your only reason for selling a synth what would you do?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If space constraints were your only reason for selling a synth what would you do?

I'm pretty savvy with my synth storage in my studio, but I've run out of room.

I've got synths at friends places and other studios.

Synths in friends garages

Synths at my parents under the bed

Synths under my bed

So, I put it to the brains trust.. If you had loads of gear (That you do use, but not all at once) and you were not in need of money to sell.. What would you do?

It would be cool to rent it out to a studio.. Dunno how that would work tho.

Cheers
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you don't need the money that means you can afford a bigger room.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If those synths are under your parent's bed, do you even miss them? Do you regularly change them around for others?

If not, then you're just lying to yourself with regard to usage. You simply don't use them.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Synths... Synths everywhere

Maybe you could open a "synth for a rent" business?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Last edited by tjporter; 24th September 2012 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Screwed up image
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hang them on the wall, stack them on shelfs, etc. There is always space. Or sell the ones you never use and will not miss. Are you just collecting them or also planning on making music using them?
Old 24th September 2012
Deleted User
I think overtime a synth collection gets large, then it gets smaller.

I mean, I think I owned 7 or 8 different synths at once. Then I great to know which ITB synths were decent for emulating digital. I don't use any VA Hardware except the MS2000 which I love interface wise, because I think digital can do this decently well. (I still think Waldorf sounds very nice as a VA though)

I only have 10 inputs on my interface so I'm limited in that way, but I think 5 synths now is enough for me. Everything I have is different and irreplaceable. I definitely wouldn't trade anything I own for anything else.

Wait I'm rambling...

Do whatever he said and start a synth for rent business haha

If anything I want more module form analogue synths, I'd probably add a wavestation rack in time as well.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
If those synths are under your parent's bed, do you even miss them? Do you regularly change them around for others?

If not, then you're just lying to yourself with regard to usage. You simply don't use them.
I do use them.. Stuff gets rotated around.

A cool solution has just presented itself.. I've got a friend who runs an Audio school. I may set up a bunch of gear in a secured studio. People pay for use of room.
The financials / insurance will need to be sorted, but it seems like a good solution. People use gear, I use gear, I get money.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
Hang them on the wall, stack them on shelfs, etc. There is always space. Or sell the ones you never use and will not miss. Are you just collecting them or also planning on making music using them?
Lol..

If you saw how savvy I am at hanging synths on a wall, you'd understand.

As mentioned, I use them all. Obviously not all at once. No track needs 25 synths at a time.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All synths deteriorate, especially if stored in less than ideal conditions. Bedrooms have dust and moisture, as do garages.

Renting them out to students is heavy wear on them. Prepare for breakages, spills etc.

Ultimately, you end up having a part time job being 'custodian of synths'. Is that what you want? Are you interested in making music, or being a caretaker of bits of gear that really you don't need? Is that something you want to take up your time and headspace?
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➑️
No track needs 25 synths at a time.
says who??

If it were me, I'd look for the solution to have them all set up at once.

also, agree with 7hz. I would be way too nervous to trust strangers with my gear.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm in Oz, bring them over to my place.

Nah I actually have the same problem. Too much gear for my small room.
There's gear in storage, (quite expensive), the garage, the closet, under the bed, and believe it or not, in the boot of my car.
I just bring it in when I need it, which can be quite annoying, but at least it is all getting used.

But synth wise, If a bigger room is out of the question, why not go for rack versions if they exist? You can fit a hell of a lot of synths in one big rack, and it will look pretty sweet too.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
A cool solution has just presented itself.. I've got a friend who runs an Audio school. I may set up a bunch of gear in a secured studio. People pay for use of room.
The financials / insurance will need to be sorted, but it seems like a good solution. People use gear, I use gear, I get money.
Sounds good. Just make sure that "I can pick up my stuff to exchange it for something else at any time" is covered in the contract as well.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➑️
I'm in Oz, bring them over to my place.

But synth wise, If a bigger room is out of the question, why not go for rack versions if they exist? You can fit a hell of a lot of synths in one big rack, and it will look pretty sweet too.
Most of my gear is pre- Midi so no rack equivalents unfortunately.

In two years we plan to move to a larger place & then I'll be able to set up my studio to it's former glory.

(My Daughter got the studio, studio moved to tiny tiny spare room)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Most of my gear is pre- Midi so no rack equivalents unfortunately.

Then definitely bring it over here.
I'll make some room in the back of my Hyundai.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
question seems a bit redundant seeing as how im sure 99% of us don't have synth's coming out of our asses.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsy ➑️
question seems a bit redundant seeing as how im sure 99% of us don't have synth's coming out of our asses.
I guess the questions aimed at that 1% then..
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Several of us may have space constraints, though. It's really easy to stuff the studio with cheap stuff that still takes up room.

I had the closet-full-of-synths thing once. It's not nice. Sell the stuff, go for fewer high-quality things instead.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm pretty savvy with my synth storage in my studio, but I've run out of room.

I've got synths at friends places and other studios.

Synths in friends garages

Synths at my parents under the bed

Synths under my bed

So, I put it to the brains trust.. If you had loads of gear (That you do use, but not all at once) and you were not in need of money to sell.. What would you do?

It would be cool to rent it out to a studio.. Dunno how that would work tho.

Cheers
This is a tough one because I know deep inside you love them all, and this is why you have had to resort to storing them under your moms bed. I know I have been where you are.

You have 3 options.
You sell up
You keep doing as you are and stop buying gear until the situation improves
or you get more room.

Each has its own pro and con I guess.
Either way it sucks, but you need to find a way
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Several of us may have space constraints, though. It's really easy to stuff the studio with cheap stuff that still takes up room.

I had the closet-full-of-synths thing once. It's not nice. Sell the stuff, go for fewer high-quality things instead.
I'd say that the stuff that remains is all pretty high end vintage and hard to come by..

It's not like my house is a mess and I can't open the door to my studio.. Its all rather tidy around here..
Space is efficiently utilized in the studio.

I've just recently hit that threshold where I need more storage / gear has to go / I need more friends.
Old 24th September 2012
Deleted User
Unfortunate yes! Before I had large space and many synths (25), outboards and mixing console. Today my space is very limited, the closets are full of not just clothes but also instruments. I had to sell much of the instruments I loved and I have to go very much software, except some analog synths that can fit on the limited space.

I am a city guy, living in a small apartment in the midst of downtown in a large city and can't imagine to live outside downtown (and larger apartments are not to think about because of the unrealistic high price tags), or in a smaller city or at the country side - even if that should give opportunity to large space. The price for that is to sell many of my babies, especial to give space for new...

Before I kept all stuff because the value of second hans hardware is, except some few exceptions, almost nothing compared to what one had to pay for it in the store. Therefore I also kept it before. But now I can't :(
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Find another space and set up another basic studio/programming room.

That's what I'm doing right now.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another solution would be to get cases for each synth, then you can safely stack them vertically. You could get a lot of synths then running down a wall. Also saves them from scratches, dust and everything else.

There are also ways to make nice large custom stands that can hold a ton of synths on etc ...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesound ➑️
Another solution would be to get cases for each synth, then you can safely stack them vertically. You could get a lot of synths then running down a wall. Also saves them from scratches, dust and everything else.

There are also ways to make nice large custom stands that can hold a ton of synths on etc ...
I agree with getting cases for them and stacking and storing them that way. It is always a good idea to have the cases for synths you aren't using anyway.

You say you have vintage pre-midi synths mostly yet you want to lend them to a student population? I think that is a bad idea. Students are not known for being careful and that stuff is very expensive and inconvenient to fix. Plus, when the inevitable breakage or maintenance issue come up you are going to be in conflict with your friend no matter what agreement you have.

You say in 2 years you will have some space again. Just case them up and store them. Label the cases and you can pull them out as needed. When space is available then set them back up. They will still be in good condition. If you ever decide you want to sell some of them the cases are your shipping container.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yea, about 95% of my Synths have cases or are cased up.

Regarding the school..

I think some people may have an image of 30 people in a room all wailing on a poor Korg poly6..
The actual setup will be a small room and students have to pay to use this room.. Sort of like a dry hire.
Everything would be signed off before and after.

The gear will be insured.

My other job is a synth tech.

My friend founded an Audio college that's doing pretty good, so the issue of money for maintenance is not that an issue.

But, in saying the above.. I will only hire out robust synths & drum machines.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You'd be surprised. This morning shortly after consuming a bran muffin and a really strong coffee I had to make a bee line to the latrine. The pressure was so dense I was expecting a moog modular but alas when the deed was done I took a glance into the toilet and only a microkorg was floating there. :(
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
even if you do not need the money it's pointless to keep them if you do not use them.

give them away to someone who will cherish them, or sell to fund one awesome piece like some crazy expensive Prism converters or something.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Read about japanese vertical minimalist interior design
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
even if you do not need the money it's pointless to keep them if you do not use them.

give them away to someone who will cherish them, or sell to fund one awesome piece like some crazy expensive Prism converters or something.
....I use them....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1. Sell what you do not regularly use and invest in nice out board.
Quote:

πŸ“ Reply