MophoKb or MiniBrute - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MophoKb or MiniBrute
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
MophoKb or MiniBrute

Hey, first post, bit of a lurker.

Had my heart set on purchasing a MB, they look awesome but I've just spotted a Mopho KB new on special for not a great deal more.
I know the MB is just out, but can anyone give me some ideas on what they would decide?

I like weirder/experimental type patches. Fan of Brainfeeder type stuff if that gives an indication.

Cheers
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd go with the mopho as it offers some of the following advantages over the minibrute: it has 2 oscillators (each with a sub-osc), 3 envelopes (so you have an extra one to modulate whatever you want, e.g., oscillator pitch), 4 LFOs, ability to sync (since it has another oscillator), do proper frequency modulation on the filter or oscillators, has a unison mode, and adjustable (panning) stereo output.

the brute has 1 osc + 1 sub-osc, 2 dedicated envelopes (1 for filter, 1 for VCA), 1 LFO, NO sync (since it would need a second osc to do this), no proper FM (though the LFO can start to get into the audible range, but not in a really useful way, for FM synthesis type sounds), no unison mode (only 1 osc), and a mono output.

so, in my estimation, it's a no-brainer for what you're after. if you want something for more experimental sounds, you have more flexibility with the mopho to achieve that.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
where can you get a mophokb for not much more than a minibrute?!
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that being said, i should add that the mopho has digitally controlled oscillators, vs. the brute having voltage controlled osc's. i personally HATE the sound of DCOs, but i sort of assume that the mopho DCOs don't sound terrible the way some 80s DCO synths do, so it's not something i would personally worry too much about, but i haven't played one, so i don't actually know first-hand.
Old 24th September 2012
Deleted User
Mmmm I've seen some USED Mopho Keys for around $650-700...New I know their about $800. If I were gonna go "NEW" I'd go MOPHO X4 over both.

I own a Mopho Keys and I love it, the sound is definitely NOT what I'd call subtle, or subdued. This is a moden sounding baby, does have some nostalgic patches like "PURE PROPHET" and "PRO ONE", these sound like the old analogue babies on steroids. I mean, like modern versions.

I love the 4 LFOs, the filters are awesome, 2/4 pole. The interface is smooth.

Minibrute, I don't love BECAUSE, I make a lot of music where I need to recall patches quickly. So I absolutely couldn't do the minibrute, I thought the sound was interesting, "different" also modern quite like the MOPHO, but I didn't love the sound like I did with the MOHPO.

Mopho goes very nicely with my Moog, the compliment each other well. I mean, you can't go wrong with a Mopho.

Maybe I'm just a Dave Smith brown noser.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh yeah, totally forgot—minibrute has no memory whatsoever.
Old 24th September 2012
Deleted User
What the Minibrute did at $499 price point is very remarkable.

...Still, it ain't never gonna remembers nothin'

Make a Minibrute with digital memory and I'm in, OR make it $399...

In my analog book of there is no competition between the two. Nor does their need to be, they're too far apart in so many aspects.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
There're still some problems with supply of minibrutes, as I understand they cannot satisfy the demand and usually it's available only for pre-order and dates can be changed. I'm not completely sure about the US situation, maybe the American market is first-priority for Arturia, but in Europe it is like I said (which is sad because it's a French company, but can't blame them, anyway production is in China )
Anyway if you haven't spotted Minibrute in some store, which is unlikely, you'd better go with Morpho. I guess in some time Minibrutes will be more available anyway on the secondary market, until then you can save the money for it or trade you morpho if you don't like it.
Old 24th September 2012
Deleted User
No problem with Minibrute supplies in the U.S., at least in Los Angeles. Though I don't work at Banjo Mart I've seen plenty in stock.
Old 24th September 2012
Deleted User
Wait, I just found out a great place for the Minibrute in a setup:

Since there is NO menu diving, and every knob is dedicated fuctionally

Something like an arpeggiated patten through it while real time controlling it would be the ticket.

I can just imagine how fun and inspiring that would be, I love 1-1 knob/function control...Think of it as a modular in a prefabb box, but very straight forward. +1 for Minibrute...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
I'd go with the mopho as it offers some of the following advantages over the minibrute: it has 2 oscillators (each with a sub-osc), 3 envelopes (so you have an extra one to modulate whatever you want, e.g., oscillator pitch), 4 LFOs, ability to sync (since it has another oscillator), do proper frequency modulation on the filter or oscillators, has a unison mode, and adjustable (panning) stereo output.
Most of that are not under dedicated knobs. Menu diving in analog synth is not much different of using plugins with controller

I've been using SH-101 for a long time without presets :D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman ➡️
What the Minibrute did at $499 price point is very remarkable.

...Still, it ain't never gonna remembers nothin'

Make a Minibrute with digital memory and I'm in, OR make it $399...

In my analog book of there is no competition between the two. Nor does their need to be, they're too far apart in so many aspects.
$399 is a stretch. Synths are already made cheaply enough by far. I don't need my gear to fall apart every time I swear at it.
Lives for gear
i like knob-per-function aesthetic of the MB, even if it means giving up patch storage... but that said i like modulation possibilities more, so i bought the MophoKB (4 LFO's).

anyway, you'll have no problem creating sounds like Brainfeeder with DSI gear.... in your case, i'd pick the Tetra if the keyboard wasn't needed (4 voice, 4 lfo, 4 outputs), but the MophoKB is a great piece of gear; i really like it.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Cheers,

I'm thinking the Mopho, based on the extra osc. and the ability to save patches.
I do want to try something of Dave Smith's. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
that being said, i should add that the mopho has digitally controlled oscillators, vs. the brute having voltage controlled osc's. i personally HATE the sound of DCOs, but i sort of assume that the mopho DCOs don't sound terrible the way some 80s DCO synths do, so it's not something i would personally worry too much about, but i haven't played one, so i don't actually know first-hand.
For the most part I agree with you regarding VCO > DCO, BUT the MoPho DCO's sounded surprisingly good to my ears, better than the P08 ones. It's probably the subs. They have this dirty quality to them that sounds different than my VCO synths and is a bit easier to tame in the context of a mix.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito ➡️
Most of that are not under dedicated knobs. Menu diving in analog synth is not much different of using plugins with controller
The Mopho Keyboard´s interface is still very accessible even though most knobs control more than one function. I baught the MOpho Keyboard since I wanted a real instrument (been vst-only before) with lots of knobs to play around in real time and it totally delivers.

Only the step sequencer is not that straight forward. but since most synths don´t even have such a feature, that shouldn´t be a dealbreaker.

And having four LFOs to make your patches move totally rocks
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
sold the Mopho key after 2 month... it's nice synth with lot of options, but the overall sound wasn't what i was looking for...

in the other hand, the Minibrute sounds more like what im after (at list from the demos), will try to grab one when they'll show up again in the shops...

it's all about what you looking for, always you can sale or add the other one in the future... heh
Old 24th September 2012
Deleted User
There really is hardly ANY menu diving on the Mopho

It's like the Evolver in the sense of:

SOURCE>DESTINATION>AMOUNT

all on seperate knobs....Sure if you wanna do some wild stuff you have to do a bit more work

DSI have always made things easy and straight forward. Menu diving to me is something like the ALESIS ION. Where you're staring at the screen to find out what you're actually doing, sure the modulation is much vaster than the MOHPO, but hell I'm hear to make sounds NOT read abbreviated terms on an LCD.

I really do wanna try out the Steiner/Parker filter, whatever it is.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I actually find my shruthi-1 is more fun and better sounding than my mopho Kys

so much so that Im using the MK as a MIDI controller for it /
Old 25th September 2012
Deleted User
Shruthi-1....I wholeheartedly disagree

Not that it's bad, these are just 2 totally different things. Not in the same conversation as either the Mopho or the Minibrute
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I went with the Mopho and received it last night.
Man, it is good, love the sound and sub osc.
Don't think I have to mention I didn't sleep much last night.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude163 ➡️

Oh snap!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey ➡️
I went with the Mopho and received it last night.
Man, it is good, love the sound and sub osc.
Don't think I have to mention I didn't sleep much last night.
Congrats!

The Mopho was the first analog I owned, I remember the first couple of nights frantically replacing softsynths on old tracks, beefed up my tracks immediatly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman ➡️
Shruthi-1....I wholeheartedly disagree

Not that it's bad, these are just 2 totally different things. Not in the same conversation as either the Mopho or the Minibrute
You disagree that I find the Shruthi-1 more fun?
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
You disagree that I find the Shruthi-1 more fun?
From experience with both they sound different, I'd never say the Shruthi-1 was "better" sounding. Apples to Oranges...on interface as well.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I never said it was better sounding either, I just find it more fun to use ,but they are both darn cool!

see ya around
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I never said it was better sounding either, I just find it more fun to use
Quote:
Governor, is that you?
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➡️
Governor, is that you?
lol 47%
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
In a vacuum, Mopho KB wins every time for me; that said, it really depends on the rest of your setup. The MB is going to give you a much different sound based on it's filter and osc options, but you are going to be missing patch memory, many extensive modulation options, and better MIDI capabilities.

I would personally get the Tetra over the Mopho KB for it's powerhouse combination of polyphony, multitimbrality, and good editing capabilities via the editor. It's useless if you need hands on editing though, and even the tweaking options are pretty sparse without a midi controller. Reaaaaally hoping DSI delivers on something more like a Tetra KB version (or better) someday. The x4 Doesn't do it for me at all due to it missing some key features, but that's another thing worth considering.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:

Yep you never said it was better sounding, ok.
📝 Reply