Quantcast
Software Limiting in mastering chain - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Software Limiting in mastering chain
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Software Limiting in mastering chain

just have a quick question about using 2 limiters in my mastering chain. Im pretty sure i have read an article in computer music a while back where its was advise to use a couple of limiters in the mastering chain, one for the peaks and another to see how far you can really push the track before it distorts. is this common practise?

and could someone advise me on what type of settings i would use on each limiter. im guessing you would be using a faster attack on the peaks and slower on the second?

Im currently using psp master comp 1.6 - 1.8 ratio, around 2db reduc, auto attack and release leading into waves L2 with 2db reduction arc release.

i find that my tracks are distorting over 2db on the limter however the level meter is still fluctuating to much for my liking . im tryign to push my track to its limits.

the genre i produce is dubstep/rock/dnb/house and i have access to ,waves mercury, psp, fabfilter

any advice slutz?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
just found the article in computer music where they use psp xenon on the drum sub master bus whic allow th edrums to be forward int he mix without clipping their sub master bus. They then use the massey l2007 on the master to take of the next layer of transients > fairchild emulation with fast release 2.1 ration 2-db gain reduction > xenon psp again with fast release (2.5ms) to see how far they can push things before it distorts and then back of the threshold a bit
📝 Reply