Quantcast
i need feedback on my track!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
i need feedback on my track!!
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
i need feedback on my track!!

i posted this in the "post music here" section seeking feedback but only got 1 reply so i will post it here.. this is my first track. ive been playing synths for 6 to 8 months and resisted putting togather a track until i knew my way around my hardware and software well enough to be able to put something like this track togather in a few hours rather than days.
the drums, sweeping 'bawong' sound, and intro 'neuro frequency modulation' voice clip are the only samples. every thing else is from scratch including arpeggios.

Neuro Frequency Modulation (2nd version) by Neurofrequencymodulation on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

i know it aint the best.. and i dont know if i should add more to it. but before judging please remember that ive been doing this less than a year and its my first track!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hi Skarekrow,
I will start by saying i really like the arpeggiated sound.That along with the voice sample make it sound like it will develop into something aggressive.The are 3 reasons as to why that doesn't happen IMHO...
1)First & foremost, as soon as the drums kick in the limiter/maximizer you're using sucks the life out of everything!Don't use it, lose it!It doesn't matter if the track loses volume as a whole.You need to take care of your dynamics.I love compressed sounds but this is way too much.It took me more than 7 years to handle dynamic processors & now, 12 years after I started working with them, I'm still learning.
2)You need to add variation to your drum parts.Since the synth line is on the minimal, the track will benefit from sparkles of interest here & there.An extra loop coming & going, a snare with gated reverb, extra percussion added on bar "x", the same with a 16th hi-hat pattern(which also re-inforce your arpeggio nicely), all these can add to your rhythm.Your existing snare may be great but with so much limiting I can't tell...
3)Tune your "whooao" sample to match your synth line.Sometimes you can get away with untuned samples.Sometimes it's actually better to leave 'em untuned.Not here though.Use your ears while adjusting the pitch on your sampler/sequencer & you'll see that once it aligns with the rest it will flow better.

Hint:Try putting some distortion to the sample as this can help identify the tuning of the sample easier while you playback both sounds(arpeggio/sample).That way the alignment will be more profound.Just don't overdo it.Distortion can easily turn everything into mush!
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
thank you kevin what you said makes alot of sense. im good at developing drum sounds or altering samples to taste but i SUCK at making a decent sequence. i can make good synth sequences for some reason tho.. i dont want to use drum loop samples cuz then i wouldnt feel like the track is truely mine. and i will take your advice n drop the compression.. im not going to lose it entirely cuz without it you cannot hear the kick at all.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
agree with kevin, back of the dynamics processing a bit and add some sparkle to the mix. get a good copy of this tune and use it as a referance, sub focus has some pretty nifty mixing skills for this kinda style

Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
You can always bypass the limiter & leave it there for future reference (albeit with milder settings).If you can't hear the kick them the problem lies elsewhere.Put a Lowpass/highpass plugin on every channel.Lose the bottom end on anything that doesn't need it.Adjust.It will usually settle around 70-150 Hz, depending on the material.Use parallel compression(you will find countless tutorials if you google).I'd bet your arp is what is interfering with the kick.Parallel compress that for starters & adjust.

Loops don't necessarily need to be someone else's work.You can develop some of your own.It was just a vague term to make a point.

P_Marrison posted a great track for reference.The build-up, reverb & sparkle are all top-notch & you cam copy that philosophy.
By the way, this Sub Focus track has a nice "timing-error" thing going on!Like a 12/8 thing across a straight 4/4 happening...Love it!
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…