How to sound like Boddika. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to sound like Boddika.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Boddika

Hi!

I would like to know tips And tricks in how to make beats or treat the bass similar to the way Boddika and other guys like Jon Convex do.
I dont have any idea in how they make that clean but powerfull beats, they are so fat.
If you know any tricks or links with info please share

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYeGtAcWE-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_3dN29n3I
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years

Organic | Feature - Boddika!

+ lots of Drexciya. Not much help sorry.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlywhites ➑️

Organic | Feature - Boddika!

+ lots of Drexciya. Not much help sorry.
Thank you, really nice interview!!! Well, it heps to know that he uses outboard equipment and made me more curios to know how he does it.

Theres so many ways to achieve a tipe of sound.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
says the man with Dance Mania as his influences

tho did prefer it when they were sampling Vangelis
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownlife ➑️
Dance Mania may be many things, but boring certainly isn't one of them.
All depends on personal preference or point of view...

This is not a discussion about personal taste...lol

I just really would love to know how to make beats like them, elastic, jumping, clean but with that warm feeling.
And I'm referring to Compression or some tricks like that.
Usually my beats are more techno or house (detroid, chicago...) with that raw feeling, thats the aesthetic that kicks me, but recently I listen to Boddika sound in a good P.A. and that beat is amazing and really well produced.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I like this sound. Not boring at all to those of use with more refined tastes.

Seems that there is not a lot of processing after the sounds come out of the synths/samplers; maybe a reverb, delay, sometimes phaser/flanger. The music is more focused on the groove rather than an overproduced mix.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Refined taste. LOL.

Most Boddika tracks sound like unfinished sketches of grooves at best. What's funny is that Carl Craig put out a record of unfinished sketches recently, and despite sounding like it the tracks are about a million times more interesting than Boddika. The fact that this guy is popular is pretty much a complete joke. Joy Orbison, etc also. UK dance music hype machine at its very best.
Can't compare one thing with another...2 totally Different things and I love both.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Refined taste. LOL.

Most Boddika tracks sound like unfinished sketches of grooves at best. What's funny is that Carl Craig put out a record of unfinished sketches recently, and despite sounding like it the tracks are about a million times more interesting than Boddika. The fact that this guy is popular is pretty much a complete joke. Joy Orbison, etc also. UK dance music hype machine at its very best.
wtf. Im curios to hear your tracks. Im shure they can compete with this one. Joy Orbison - Ellipsis - YouTube
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Actually we can call boring 99% of electronic music.
What i see is that guy try to push things out of limits. I love how "bass" scene changing right now, and Boddika/Instra:mental are big part of it.
As for Boddika sound - i thought he's ITB guy. His tracks sound so clean and post 2010's, even after reading some interviews i think he's doing a lot of work (at least at mixing stage) ITB. Cant believe he use guitar pedals and 80's outboard stuff
I guess good compression skills are big part of his sound
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by top dog ➑️
Actually we can call boring 99% of electronic music.
What i see is that guy try to push things out of limits. I love how "bass" scene changing right now, and Boddika/Instra:mental are big part of it.
As for Boddika sound - i thought he's ITB guy. His tracks sound so clean and post 2010's, even after reading some interviews i think he's doing a lot of work (at least at mixing stage) ITB. Cant believe he use guitar pedals and 80's outboard stuff
I guess good compression skills are big part of his sound
I agree with you 100%...and I have a problem there (compression), lol.
It's not my intention to make sound like he does...but I ear his sound and I see that I have limitations (loads) with compression and thats why its difficult for me to understant what he does, it sounds so simple but so difficult for me to get it. Thats why I made this question.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Dance Mania may be many things, but boring certainly isn't one of them.
I agree. Some of the most fun music ever.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Still no satisfactory answer
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
studio montiors

Any idea what those monitors in the picture are?
thanks
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe the troll can fill you in - he seems to have an opinion on everything else...
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Cool, thanks.
Hellooo? Troll? Can you help me please?
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Take a look at his Instagram, he has quite a few pics of his studio an gear he uses/has used
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Cheers buddy!
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have a few Boddika and Joy-O records that sound pretty incredible. I heard they use mostly hardware but even if they didn't, they make it sound like they do. Big, punchy drums and deep deep basses that just kill on a big system.

Also the pressings are super nice, at least the Sunklo ones. I passed on the recent Nonplus 12"s. They just didn't sound as exciting to me but were pretty good still.
Old 27th October 2015
0e0
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deremetalica ➑️
Hi!

I would like to know tips And tricks in how to make beats or treat the bass similar to the way Boddika and other guys like Jon Convex do.
I dont have any idea in how they make that clean but powerfull beats, they are so fat.
If you know any tricks or links with info please share

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYeGtAcWE-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_3dN29n3I

Neve Style compression and loads of tape saturation is a key component to the Boddika sound..but he has super amazing ears and a desire to make things sound big like no other.

Convex is a big fan of the Nord tones and in his early tracks used loads of Vermona drum synths.

I took one of the photos in that interview.

j

0=0
Old 27th October 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
First rule of GS - never get into an argument about music on here. At best they like Carl Craig and at worse its mainstream EDM. Use this place for gear info only.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…