Quantcast
V-Synth GT, Nord Wave, or Blofeld - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
V-Synth GT, Nord Wave, or Blofeld
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
V-Synth GT, Nord Wave, or Blofeld

Do any of you all know which is better for pads and sampling? I would like to add that I have a Virus TI2 already.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
v synth
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You think it's better for pads too?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
For pads, Blofeld.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
For pads, Blofeld.
The Blofeld is good for pads indeed, as well as other sounds. In fact, its a great all round synth.....

but, it's no V-Synth and the GT would be insane.

to OP, if you wanted something closer in price to the Blofeld then go a V-Synth XT. they come with the VC1 and VC2 cards built in. The GT only comes with the VC2
Old 23rd September 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a general purpose sampler, I don't love any of those options. Are you using soft sampling as well?

I really like my V-Synth (v1 OS 2) for sampled pads. Messing with the time trip pad can yield some interesting sample snippets to loop into an oscillator. It can be a bit glitchy and buggy though. Nothing unmanageable. Probably my favourite tool for sample based pads.

I really don't love the VA engine in the V-Synth. I read that it is based on the JP-80x0. I'm not really a fan of the JP stuff either. It's been a while, though I think I prefer the original JP gear to the V-Synth VA implementation. However, many have been happy with JP synths for pads particularly.

I quite like the synth engine of the Blofeld. It certainly can do interesting pads. I like the Blofeld work from Jexus / WC Olo Garb. Nice and interesting pads. Versatile too. I've never used samples with it though. Presumably it only gets better with that option. Not sure how convenient it is to use with samples though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➑️
I really like my V-Synth (v1 OS 2) for sampled pads. Messing with the time trip pad can yield some interesting sample snippets to loop into an oscillator.
what do you mean by "looping into an oscillator"? using the MOD options and a second VA osc?

Anyway I love my V-Synth as well, especially for messing with samples, but it's not a dedicated sampler. Super powerful machine, always interesting.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➑️
As a general purpose sampler, I don't love any of those options. Are you using soft sampling as well?

I really like my V-Synth (v1 OS 2) for sampled pads. Messing with the time trip pad can yield some interesting sample snippets to loop into an oscillator. It can be a bit glitchy and buggy though. Nothing unmanageable. Probably my favourite tool for sample based pads.

I really don't love the VA engine in the V-Synth. I read that it is based on the JP-80x0. I'm not really a fan of the JP stuff either. It's been a while, though I think I prefer the original JP gear to the V-Synth VA implementation. However, many have been happy with JP synths for pads particularly.

I quite like the synth engine of the Blofeld. It certainly can do interesting pads. I like the Blofeld work from Jexus / WC Olo Garb. Nice and interesting pads. Versatile too. I've never used samples with it though. Presumably it only gets better with that option. Not sure how convenient it is to use with samples though.

I use a MPC2000XL as my sampler/drum machine/sequencer. Keep in mind I do have a Virus TI2. Any overlap(with Virus) with the 3 choices I have?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blofeld and Virus sort of overlap a little bit.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'll scratch that one off the list then.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Roland VSynth GT is a beast! But it is much more expensive then the others. For the price you can get a Blofeld and a Nord..
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why not an original V-Synth and another synth (the Blofeld, for instance?).
It would likely be much cheaper than a V-Synth GT...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veck ➑️
The Roland VSynth GT is a beast! But it is much more expensive then the others. For the price you can get a Blofeld and a Nord..

Im taking the Blofeld off my list. From demos I've listened to, I think between that(Blofeld) and my Virus, it'll be some overlap there. Now I'm down to the Nord Wave and the V-synth GT. Im thinking that the Wave might be covered already with the Virus. Never got a chance to demo the Wave though, and I don't think I will ever get that chance, unless I just buy it. Anything the Wave could give me that the Virus can't?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The same as the Blofeld, samples.
And the interface is nicer, of course...

Actually, the Blofeld is likely the one that overlaps less, as the Wavetable section is much nicer than the Virus one, from what I've seen...
And as said before, you get samples too.

I only have the Roland V-Synth (original one) and Waldorf Blofeld (keyboard) and can say I'm pretty happy with both...
And from all I've seen most people seem to think the original V-Synth to be a better deal than the GT...
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ups...
I meant Blofeld is the one that overlaps less when comparing with the Nord Wave...
The Roland V-Synth or V-Synth GT is completely different...
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got a Wave, don't know about the others. Yes, it's got samples as oscs, excellent VA, tweakable FM, cool interface. But personally I bought it over a Virus, don't think I'd get it in addition but then again 1 or 2 bits of HW is all I want.
Old 23rd September 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone ➑️
what do you mean by "looping into an oscillator"?
I probably didn't express that well. Using the time trip pad, you can scan to a section of a sample, which will then play in a loop, like a complex oscillator. Some of my favourite pads have been done this way, from some unlikely source material.

Hope that makes more sense.

You can achieve the same thing in other ways, using a different platform, but the V-Synth makes it fast and intuitive, and also allows you to scan to other points in a sample, with a gesture. Fun.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The NordWave is a dream for pads and sound design in general. Great VA engine, excellent interface, FM, modulations ahoy... The sounds can come out clinically cold, with a weird sheen around them, or raw and dirty courtesy of the filters (Nord synths excell there...)

It cannot sample though, on the fly... You can add samples to use as waveforms (via a software whch is pretty easy to use) but cannot re-sample on the go for instance... I posted some sounds in another thread of pads and such created with the nordwave... check it out...

https://gearspace.com/board/electron...e-absynth.html
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd take the Wave without hesitation.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Wave has no arp or step mod. I just wonder how could it be better than the V-synth Gt? Variphrase is crazy! If I could get somewhere else in a synth then I could kind of consider the Wave.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think it just sounds better. That counts for something.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd ➑️
....to OP, if you wanted something closer in price to the Blofeld then go a V-Synth XT. they come with the VC1 and VC2 cards built in. The GT only comes with the VC2
it might be worth pointing out that this isn't quite right. with the original V-Synth and the XT, you either had a V-Synth or it functioned as one of the expansion cards and turned into a D-50 or the Vocal Designer, but you couldn't access any of the V-Synth capabilities.
On the GT you lose the ability to use the expansion cards, but the Vocal Designer is worked throughout the V-Synth engine and on top of this you also have the newer Articulate Phrase Synthesis, which seems very cool. Both of these added to the V-Synth offer much more potential than was available to the original model.

as for the question.. a V-Synth.

were I only able to have three synths it would be my Evolver with a V-Synth GT and XT. if only one, my V-Synth keyboard w/ the VC1 card. In the history of synths I personally don't feel that there is anything better.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm seeing how cool this thing(vsynth gt) is now.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is it possible for me to sync the Wave with the Virus, and use the arp on the Virus to arpeggiate the Wave?
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I see this thread is a bit old but maybe my comparsion of Nord Wave and Blofeld could be interesting for anyone finding this topic.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
Is it possible ... use the arp on the Virus to arpeggiate the Wave?
Virus has Arp outs, so yeah.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
V-Synth ORIGINAL V2 (NOT GT!!!!) for everything. It is what you make it and then some. It can do full/warm/expansive pads without breaking a sweat if you know what you are doing.

V-Synth also puts out it's ARP over midi (works nice with my JX-3P doing that) and is great as the centre of everything linked to your DAW with MIDI timing sync - makes everything you hook to it also have that.

Why not GT? Sorry but it has some bloody annoying 'revisions' to it that would piss me off working with it, namely tones sharing system, reduced editing controls (more a live performance instrument the GT), stuff like the patch pallete NOT previewing (was that fixed in the GT's v2 update?) and a number of other niggles that may seem trivial but kinda ruin the beauty of the original and how fun it is to work with, oh no midi layering which can be abused to good effect on the original. Yes it has upsides for sure but overall considering the price difference too, the Original V-Synth is in my opinion a classic and the last great synth from Roland, but the GT is just not as cohesive an instrument regardless of it's extras, I also think the V-Original looks much nicer and feels better in general to use.
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
XT ftw.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
well if you don't care about VC2 or D-50 and a colour screen? The keyboard is a lot more fun to use imo. I think it just sits right. Xt is great though - basically the same thing - prefer it to GT for sure.

Thos ADSR sliders on the Keyboard I find are great to use within ALL envelopes on the synth, and this synth has a lot of ENVS, the 20 knobs the structure quick selects and lighted buttons for those and a great keybed + bender/mod combo (not to mention the extra toys of D-beam and Trip Pad). Honestly I'd never give all that up for a built in D-50 (which I can get anyway on a card) or the VC2 (which while nice isn't essential to me). Would be great if they were built into the V-2 though.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've owned all three and the Wave sounds hands down the best.
πŸ“ Reply