Active Monitors selection & Sound Card - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Active Monitors selection & Sound Card
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Active Monitors selection & Sound Card

Hi guys.......

I'm psytrance/ambient trance music producer. I'm tired to record my mix in headphones, so i decide to expand my ideas with better equipment. First of all, i know that i need soundproofing to listen with more accuracy my mix, but, my room is tiny and i also know that big speakers is not the best thing with a small space. So i did some research what i can buy in the price of 400 euros and i came up with three choises:

1) Mackie MR5
2) Adam a3x (according a review i read from the famous psytrance producer Cosmosis What's best, Dynaudio or Adam's? by Cosmosis on Myspace)
3) Yamaha MSP5 (a little bit higher price)

I also have take a look at KRK RoKit 5 and Yamaha HS50 witch i was able to listen to them and i wasn't pleased. KRK gave me the impression of a hi-fi speaker and not an active monitor. They emphasize to mutch the low end frequencies and i didn't like the mids also. Yamaha HS50 was sounding better at the beginning but after a while i realized the lack of low end, too much mids if i'm right and sharp high frequencies.

From the other hand, Mackie MR5's was very interesting. Very balanced sound! About Adam a3x and Yamaha MSP5 i have no idea how they are sounding. I hope one of you may give me an opinion about them. I have heard the best about MSP5's. A3x are very good according Cosmosis.

About sound cards i came up with those 2:

1) Akai EIE Pro
2) Focusrite Saffire 6 usb or Focusrite Scarlett 18I6 (I heard they have great drivers)
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I have both the Adam A3x and the Focusrite Saffire 6. Regarding the Adams they are really awesome, especially for electronic music and although I also have a pari of Event ASP8, I always finish my tracks on the Adams. Regarding the Focusrite, it's a really nice interface, albeit limited due to USB 1.1 (it can only go to 4ms, which will result in about 10 ms overall). If you want more inputs and outputs, I would go for the new Avid/M-audio C600 (8 out, 6 in) which also have great drivers and can go as low as 5.2 ms latency (I recently upgraded the Focusrite to this).
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
So, i am in a good way....
๐Ÿ“ Reply