Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project

Originally taken from this thread on electro-music.com:

I have been looking for voice expansion modules for my Q-Rack, they are hard to find now and the Waldorf distributors are tapped out.

I found a company in the US called Encore Electronics that is willing to produce a lot of 50 or more of these units, but there are 4 caveats:

1- Confirmed 50-100 or more buyers

2- A Q synthesizer and an expansion module to reverse engineer.

3- Development lead time of about 3 months.

4- Module price is estimate around $375.

Please specify if you are interested in temporarily donating an expansion module (I don't have one), I will be temporarily donating my only Q Rack if there is enough demand to take this to the next step.

Also, if you know a Q or XT owner interested in a voice expansion, send them over to this post to throw in their 2 cents.

If anybody knows some other forums for Q users to get the word out on this please let me know where else to post - any suggestions are welcome.

In talking with the Waldorf Tech, the compatability chart is below:

The XT series (including XTk) all use Motorola 56303 voice DSP.
The Q series is more complicated, the first run of Yellow Qs used a Motorola 56303 also.
This means only the oldest Q expansion modules with Motorola 56303 DSP are compatible with all XT series and Early Q (V1) Mainboards.

The Motorola DSP was changed in later Yellow Qs (V2) to 56362. This is why the newer expansion (V2) will not work and will damage the V1 mainboard of a Q or any XT/XTk mainboard.

The V2.x (Motorola 56362) expansion version will work in all 2.x and 3.x Q mainboards (including the micro Q).

Expansion Ver_____V1a_____V1b_____V2.x
XT/XTk (All)________Yes_____No______No
Q (Yellow V1)______Yes_____Yes_____No
Q (Yellow V2)______No______No_____Yes
Q (Blue)__________No______No_____Yes
Q (Halloween)_____No______No_____Yes
Q (Phoenix)_______No______No_____Yes
Micro Q__________No______No_____Yes

An email account has been setup for requesting the expansion module:

[email protected]

If you are interested, please send an email with the following info:

1- Your XT or Q version
2- How many modules you want
3- Your location (country-state)

Ideally we would keep all related posts/questions to the one thread over on electro-music, just to keep it simple. Otherwise just register your interest at the email.

At this point we're already just over half way there, so we only need another 23 or so people on board to make this happen!

V1 Expansion Card (Motorola 56303):

V2.2 Expansion Card (Motorola 56362):

Proposed Expansion Card Front:

Proposed Expansion Card Back:
Old 28th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Since this thread was posted the number of people interested has grown quite a bit we're getting closer to the next phase. If you are definitely interested then it would be a good idea to register at the email address as per the OP or you may miss the boat on the first build.
Old 31st December 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wow! Can't believe I missed this. Been missing the XT 30 I sold years ago. Think I'll pick up a couple of these expansions in advance of an actual XT.
Old 2nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf Xpansion ➑️
Since this thread was posted the number of people interested has grown quite a bit we're getting closer to the next phase. If you are definitely interested then it would be a good idea to register at the email address as per the OP or you may miss the boat on the first build.
ive sent an email and put myself down for im. im def in.
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Latest news via email:
Quote:
So far we have 31 requests for RevA and 9 requests for RevB expansion modules.
This puts our total demand count at 40. This is a confirmed count.
10 more and we can start the next phase.
Just need a few more people...
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I trust you still have me for the xtk board?
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you mean me, I'm just another person on the list. Better to contact the person keeping the list to make sure.

Come to think of it, I don't know his/her name.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this still happening?
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
must have fallen thro
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
here is a photo of my XTK expansion, which has been there from the start. its a 56303 variety.
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project-photo-2.jpg  
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Woah. Hmm!
Old 8th September 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey folks.. I am bumping this thread because I just purchased a v1 Yellow Q, and I definitely want to expand the voices on it from 16 to 32. It seems extremely rare to find an expansion board by itself these days. Does anyone have any progress updates on this?
Old 1st February 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Great news! Got this in my email:

Quote:
We are shipping the XT expansion now - It is tested and working $399 plus shipping, Limited QTY so act fast before we run out!!!

Here is the link -
Encore Electronics

Phase 4 of XT expansion complete moving on to Phase 3 of the Q expansion coming soon (3-4mo) Timeframe.
Just ordered my XT expansion.
Old 1st February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J# Minor ➑️
Great news! Got this in my email:

Just ordered my XT expansion.
Holy Moly
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear
Thanks for the heads up! Money sent...
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Too bad the expansions only work for Revision 3 boards -- that cuts down the potential audience by a considerable amount, including myself unfortunately.

I suspect when someone sent a Revision 1 or 2 XT in for upgrade they swapped the internals to make it a Revision 3.

I wonder now if this will cause Revision 3 (mostly non-Nextel paint) units to jump in price?
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I checked mine out after someone pointing it out via the Febuary 2015 new gear purchase, luckly I have a 3rd version pcb. I placed my money down shortly afterwords.

I did a little reading as well and noticed that they changed the DSP types throughout the original versions and it could be a simple incompatibility issue or unable to source the correct parts.. Just a thought.
Old 2nd February 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How do we find what version of our MLB we have?
I own an XT that appears to be a v1 or v2. I have v. 2.33 of the OS so I image that means nothing.

Do we need to crack open the unit to verify? Thanks

Found it... sorry. didn't check website

Last edited by ecologie; 2nd February 2015 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Didn't look at website
Old 3rd February 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Interesting, someone on eBay is selling the same expansion for $400 more than from Encore? I think the same seller has sold old expansions for an equally crazy amount of money.
Old 3rd February 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have a Rev 2 board, so I'm out of luck.

Grrr...
Old 4th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pants ➑️
Interesting, someone on eBay is selling the same expansion for $400 more than from Encore? I think the same seller has sold old expansions for an equally crazy amount of money.
Don't you know? Those DSP chips age like fine wine. In ten years they will be a sound investment (no pun intended) .

It's probably someone trying to cash in before the price of these expansions crash. ISTR them being pretty pricey back in the day, and you had to send your XT to Waldorf or to a Waldorf-approved service centre.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by natallica ➑️
I have a Rev 2 board, so I'm out of luck.

Grrr...
I wouldn't be too worried. Unless you are really pushing the XT's capabilities you really aren't going to be hitting the 10 voice ceiling. There's been precious few patches that really dig that deep.

As a 10 voice synth the XT is still stellar. The $400 you saved might be better spent on a Blofeld. Best of both worlds.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➑️
I wouldn't be too worried. Unless you are really pushing the XT's capabilities you really aren't going to be hitting the 10 voice ceiling. There's been precious few patches that really dig that deep.

As a 10 voice synth the XT is still stellar. The $400 you saved might be better spent on a Blofeld. Best of both worlds.
You are correct. I think a Blofeld is in my future.
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So cool to see one of these long term projects actually get completed. I no longer use my XTk's multi-timbral mode as much as I used to but it is really easy to run past 10 voices when using it that way, especially when creating custom drum kits. Coolness.

Last edited by bkbirge; 4th February 2015 at 03:37 AM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➑️
Don't you know? Those DSP chips age like fine wine. In ten years they will be a sound investment (no pun intended) .

It's probably someone trying to cash in before the price of these expansions crash. ISTR them being pretty pricey back in the day, and you had to send your XT to Waldorf or to a Waldorf-approved service centre.
True, vintage DSP chips fetch more.

But he's taken the one image that's from Encore's site and used it for the auction, and I'm pretty sure it isn't Tony from Encore.
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
My display didn't show any board rev #. Encore told me to update OS first and sure enough after update...

Drum roll please...

Board Rev #2 . Dang!
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Holy crap. Just got a shipping notification! Excited...
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder what stops them from making a remake of Waldorf's Q? Is it too expensive nowadays?
Old 5th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
I wonder what stops them from making a remake of Waldorf's Q? Is it too expensive nowadays?
It's in R&D at the moment. From what I understand, the Microwave XT expansion was first, then the Q.
Old 5th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pants ➑️
It's in R&D at the moment. From what I understand, the Microwave XT expansion was first, then the Q.
!!! Are you sure? I mean, this is BIG news!
πŸ“ Reply