Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project
Old 8th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonB ➑️
I have my expansion on the way now for my XTk. Any advice or gotchas you could give with taking it apart? What was your issue getting it apart besides too many screws?

Devon
No real issue other than my lack of knowledge on how to take it apart. I was initially following the assembly instructions for the XT and it confused me. There are a lot of screws though. Make sure you have a nice big flat table to work on, not a soft couch like I foolishly used.
Old 1st April 2015 | Show parent
ddv
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Worked like a charm!

Well this is just awesome and amazing. Big thanks to Tony at Encore for putting this together. My installation (Board #3 Rev B) was super easy. Took about 15 minutes.

The only caveat is that the DIP header where the VEX board connects had a single jumper (like you would see to select a drive ID or on a motherboard) on the last two pins on my XT CPU board. I simply removed that little jumper before I installed the expansion board and everything came up first time!

Now I gotta make some XT-only music to take advantage of all those voices!
Old 24th May 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The Q voice expansion is available now. Yarr! It's amazing that Tony pulled it off. First the XT, then the Q.
Old 24th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojjelito ➑️
The Q voice expansion is available now. Yarr! It's amazing that Tony pulled it off. First the XT, then the Q.
Awesome, since that Q expansion also works for the Micro-Q (or at least certain versions of it). I have a Micro-Q keyboard version that could use a little 'Omega' treatment.

edit: looks to be more involved than the Q upgrade. Replaces a few resistors (and one inductor with a resistor), swaps out a crystal which looks to be a lower profile one of the same type, and moves a capacitor so that the expansion board can vertically fit on top of the original main board.

Last edited by Rob Ocelot; 24th May 2015 at 11:42 PM..
Old 25th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Agree with that, pretty nifty stuff.

I've got a Rev3 XT, but fence sitting on the expansion...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➑️
Awesome, since that Q expansion also works for the Micro-Q (or at least certain versions of it). I have a Micro-Q keyboard version that could use a little 'Omega' treatment.

edit: looks to be more involved than the Q upgrade. Replaces a few resistors (and one inductor with a resistor), swaps out a crystal which looks to be a lower profile one of the same type, and moves a capacitor so that the expansion board can vertically fit on top of the original main board.
Got any more details about the Micro-Q specifics? I couldn't find that much on the Encore web page, but I have a Q rack so I'm good to go in any case.

Figured that since I already took care of the XT and it was really easy, went without a hitch I'd pull the trigger on the Q as well. It gets used a bit, so it would be a shame not to expand it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Got any more details about the Micro-Q specifics? I couldn't find that much on the Encore web page, but I have a Q rack so I'm good to go in any case.

Figured that since I already took care of the XT and it was really easy, went without a hitch I'd pull the trigger on the Q as well. It gets used a bit, so it would be a shame not to expand it.
These are from the original expansion thread on electro-music.com (pictures are linked back there)

Worth noting that the instructions specify a surface mount soldering station. Doesn't look like an easy or fun job.

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
These are from the original expansion thread on electro-music.com (pictures are linked back there)

Worth noting that the instructions specify a surface mount soldering station. Doesn't look like an easy or fun job.
Thanks for that! Guess it makes sense to go back and revisit the old E-M thread too. In case anyone wonders: I opened my Waldorf Q rack beforehand and found out that the motherboard said QMB ReV.3.3, plus the DSPs are 56362 in mine.

It's a bit unfortunate that the Microwave XT OS actually can tell you what your hardware is, but the Q doesn't. So, anybody who's getting one of these for the Waldorf Q should open his/hers unit in order to find out if it can be expanded, and if so using which card.

Quoting a key post in the E-M thread at http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-53247.html

Quote:
In talking with the Waldorf Tech, the compatability chart is below:

The XT series (including XTk) all use Motorola 56303 voice DSP (But some of the earliest XTs are NOT expandable).
The Q series is more complicated, the first run of Yellow Qs used a Motorola 56303 also.
This means only the oldest Q expansion modules with Motorola 56303 DSP are compatible with newer (expandable) XT series and Early Q (V1) Mainboards.

The Motorola DSP was changed in later Yellow Qs (V2) to 56362. This is why the newer expansion (V2) will not work and will damage the V1 mainboard of a Q or any XT/XTk mainboard.

The V2.x (Motorola 56362) expansion version will work in all 2.x and 3.x Q mainboards (including the micro Q).

Expansion Ver_____V1a_____V1b_____V2.x
XT/XTk (V3)______Yes______No______No
Q (Yellow V1)_____Yes______Yes______No
Q (Yellow V2)_____No_______No______Yes
Q (Blue)__________No______No______Yes
Q (Halloween)_____No______No______Yes
Q (Phoenix)_______No______No______Yes
Micro Q__________No______No______Yes

Last edited by Jojjelito; 25th May 2015 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Added hardware compatibility info
Old 26th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_OHara ➑️
Agree with that, pretty nifty stuff.

I've got a Rev3 XT, but fence sitting on the expansion...
Where are you located? If you decide not to upgrade would you consider swapping my your Rev3 for my Rev1 (+some cash from my end)? If you're close to me it might be a nice road trip.

Mind you, the expansion certainly isn't an XT must-have unlike some other expansions (eg SCSI or digital outputs for samplers). I've used a 10 voice XT for years and never really run into a (useful to me) patch that gobbled up the available voices.

I think the real gain is for Micro-Q owners -- you had 'up to' 25 voices but things ran out fast once you started to add modulations. The expanded Omega Micro-Q had a potential for 75 voices -- probably with very simple patches and realistically maybe 40-50 for patches that were a little more interesting.
Old 8th September 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Got ripped off by [email protected]!!

Hi all!

Just a warning for all of you potential buyers of the expansion boards produced and sold by Encore Electronics.

Short version:
My story is, that i ordered and recieved a Waldorf Q voice expansion board, that unfortunately was not supported by my synth (early DSP).

I contacted Tony Karavidas at Encore Electronics about a potential refund, since it was incompatible and would damage my synth if installed.

Tony promptly replied with the phrase "Sure you can get a refund", and then provided his home address, to where I should send the parcel.

My shipment was fully trackable, and I contacted Tony shortly after being notified that the board had been delivered to the recipient, about not having recieved a refund to my PayPal account.

I have since sent numerous emails to both the [email protected] and [email protected] mailaddresses, without getting any reply at all. Of course no refund in sight :/

So he must have kept it and resold it to one of you without refunding me. This is not cool at all, and is bad for his rep for his business.

If anyone here knows him personally, please give him a sharp poke so he might reconsider his actions.

Ripping off musicians is bad karma, Tony. Just you wait...

Edit:
Case is now closed since Tony have refunded me through the PayPal Dispute service.
Thank you Tony for your service, although the board never came to use in any of my Waldorf Q's (I've got one yellow and one Halloween Q keyboards).
I have to make better use of the voices I have...

Last edited by synthswede; 9th September 2015 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 9th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthswede ➑️
Hi all!

Just a warning for all of you potential buyers of the expansion boards produced and sold by Encore Electronics.
Nice of you to join us on Gearslutz. I hope you'll stick around and participate in the community, but if you're here just to slag Tony, you're in the wrong place. I have dealt with Tony multiple times with my MWXT and he has been extremely supportive and helpful beyond all reasonable expectations in getting my mod installed. He's been a valuable and respected resource for our community for many, many years and he's definitely no thief, as you seem to imply.

If it takes some time, it could be because he is on vacation or busy with something else, or doesn't know how to issue a refund on his cellphone, or he needs to test the board. Just chill out on the hysteria and you'll be taken care of fairly. He's a very good guy. His expansion boards rock! I have both.

Edit: From your handle, you may not know that this was a long weekend in the U.S. The last major holiday of the summer.

Last edited by Helmey; 9th September 2015 at 05:47 AM..
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmey ➑️
Nice of you to join us on Gearslutz. I hope you'll stick around and participate in the community, but if you're here just to slag Tony, you're in the wrong place. I have dealt with Tony multiple times with my MWXT and he has been extremely supportive and helpful beyond all reasonable expectations in getting my mod installed. He's been a valuable and respected resource for our community for many, many years and he's definitely no thief, as you seem to imply.

If it takes some time, it could be because he is on vacation or busy with something else, or doesn't know how to issue a refund on his cellphone, or he needs to test the board. Just chill out on the hysteria and you'll be taken care of fairly. He's a very good guy. His expansion boards rock! I have both.

Edit: From your handle, you may not know that this was a long weekend in the U.S. The last major holiday of the summer.
Hi Helmey,

I will be sticking around, as I've been a long time lurker, finding out a lot of valuable stuff from this goldmine of a forum

I would have joined anyway, but since I never got a reply from either of the Encore email adresses available for over a week, I didn't feel too happy.

The case is closed now, since I have now recieved a refund through the Paypal Dispute service. In favor of Tony, I do agree that he was initially swift in replying and shipping the board over here, and the prodicts look pretty rock solid in construction.

Sorry if I got carried away, will edit my original post now...
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthswede ➑️
Hi Helmey,

I will be sticking around, as I've been a long time lurker, finding out a lot of valuable stuff from this goldmine of a forum

I would have joined anyway, but since I never got a reply from either of the Encore email adresses available for over a week, I didn't feel too happy.

The case is closed now, since I have now recieved a refund through the Paypal Dispute service. In favor of Tony, I do agree that he was initially swift in replying and shipping the board over here, and the prodicts look pretty rock solid in construction.

Sorry if I got carried away, will edit my original post now...
No problem mate, I know how frustrating it can be. I have horror stories....but not about Tony or any of the smaller manufacturers. Apart from the big 3, it isn't an industry of billionaires, or even millionaires; just people who love what they do and want to share it with their equally passionate customers. With a lot of newer gear, you can actually contact/talk to the designer/owner and they will gladly help. [FWIW, Dieter Doepfer is one of the nicest and most approachable guys I've ever met.]

It's kind of crazy, actually, and a heck of a lot better than dealing with Roland Inc.

Welcome, and I hope you keep posting and have more enjoyable issues to discuss with everyone in the future! I'm glad you got your money back.
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's a bit of a bump. Any word on the next batch of Microwave XT expansion cards?
Old 30th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Encore has the XT cards available again, apparently:

Encore Electronics
Old 27th July 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Expansion board clone upgrade experience

I just wanted to share my experience on receiving and installing the Encore Electronics clone board for my Microwave XT.

As far as the purchasing aspect of it, everything went smooth and fast. I emailed Tony on 7/23 (Saturday) to inquire if he still had boards in stock and he replied affirmatively within hours. I sent the money via Paypal on 7/24 (Sunday) and he informed me on 7/25 (Monday) that it was sent out 2 day USPS Priority with tracking of which I received on-time today, 7/27 (Wednesday).

In regards to the expansion board itself, the installation was simple, easy and worked instantly. I must say though, I was a bit concerned at first because my Revision board #3 has the 101 resistor that has been recommended to be removed because, as reported by some, it can cause the OS to not recognize the expansion board. Thankfully, this was not the case for me and I'm wondering if it was because I have the current 2.33 OS installed which might have corrected the need to remove that specific resistor. If not, I would be curious why some have needed to remove theirs while I did not have to. Regardless, I would definitely recommend upgrading to the latest 2.33 OS first before considering doing the hardware modification prior to installing the board as it might be completely unnecessary as was the case for me.

All in all, it was a great transaction and I'm very pleased with having done the upgrade.
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I have a 16-voice yellow Q which I have not used for a while, and I was thinking that getting/installing this expansion board would motivate me to put it in good use again.

However (from the Encore site):
"This only works with DSP56362 based Waldorf Q instruments. If you have a version 1 yellow Q with 56303 DSPs, it will not work and will damage the instrument. Please make sure you have the correct DSPs in your Q before ordering."

I confess my ignorance:
How do I know if my Q is version 1? All yellow Qs are version 1? Is there a serial number table somewhere to help me? Or do I need to open my Q to find out?

I searched around a bit but found nothing on the matter....
Any advice/suggestion appreciated.
Old 28th July 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino ➑️
I confess my ignorance:
How do I know if my Q is version 1? All yellow Qs are version 1? Is there a serial number table somewhere to help me? Or do I need to open my Q to find out?

I searched around a bit but found nothing on the matter....
Any advice/suggestion appreciated.
You have to actually open it up and look at the board where the expansion slot is. The larger DSP chips on that same board will be labeled with something like "56362".
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project-q_bord_56362.jpg  
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_barcode ➑️
You have to actually open it up and look at the board where the expansion slot is. The larger DSP chips on that same board will be labeled with something like "56362".
Thanks a lot.
Screwdriver time....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino ➑️
Thanks a lot.
Screwdriver time....
Both my Q Keyboard and full Q rack are the Sahara Yellow, and shudder at thought of opening them up and letting all those wonderful bats out of there.
Old 17th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is Encore the only place you can get the XT expansion boards?

I'm in the UK so would like a UK or EU vendor if possible.

I just got an XT and i'm loving it! Upgrading to 30 voices is something i'm now very interested in.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell ➑️
Is Encore the only place you can get the XT expansion boards?

I'm in the UK so would like a UK or EU vendor if possible.

I just got an XT and i'm loving it! Upgrading to 30 voices is something i'm now very interested in.
He reverse engineered the boards and is providing them in a aftermarket format... There is no other place to get them unless you are extremely lucky.

I had no issues on my XT and had to remove the resistor. Tony was extremely helpful via email.

Cheers!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper ➑️
He reverse engineered the boards and is providing them in a aftermarket format... There is no other place to get them unless you are extremely lucky.

I had no issues on my XT and had to remove the resistor. Tony was extremely helpful via email.

Cheers!
I see. OK, cool, thanks.
Old 7th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BUMP.

Anyone know if/when a new batch of Microwave XT boards might be available?
Old 7th December 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
BUMP.

Anyone know if/when a new batch of Microwave XT boards might be available?
I'm definitely interested too. I've emailed a few times with no response (might be getting caught in his spam filter?). My XTk needs this.
Old 27th December 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

A new run of the Microwave XT expansion boards would be really nice. I have a bad feeling that Encore Electronics is no more, however.
Old 17th February 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I received a message from Encore Electronics about the XT expansion boards. They indicated that they would do another batch if enough people spoke up about it.

It's time to send some friendly emails their way!
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Great! Then I just need a Microwave XT to put it into
Old 17th February 2019
|-|
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Alright, what do we have to do to get another run done for the XT boards?

I missed out last time and would love to get my XT up to 30 voices!
Old 17th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| ➑️
Alright, what do we have to do to get another run done for the XT boards?

I missed out last time and would love to get my XT up to 30 voices!
Start a new thread with a poll (or get the OP to add a poll to this discussion) and send the results to Tony maybe?

The mods could merge the two threads later preserving the poll results. Periodically (say, once a year) run the poll again to gauge interest. Far too many people find these threads via google searches after the fact and chime in to say they missed the availability window. I was able to exchange my V1 MWXT for a V3 MWXTK recently so there may be more people in the same boat as me.

It might also be helpful to ask Tony what would be his minimum threshold for a board run... we would then go out and find people versus waiting for people to find the poll/thread.
πŸ“ Reply