Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project
Old 5th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
!!! Are you sure? I mean, this is BIG news!
The details are in the original thread on the Electro-music forum. I believe the time frame was 3-4 months. Price looks to be the same. And maybe someone else can confirm, but the same expansion board (chipset) for the XT (V3) was used for the 1st gen yellow Q. At least that's what I understand from the chart on the Electro Music forum.
Old 6th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
I wonder what stops them from making a remake of Waldorf's Q? Is it too expensive nowadays?
They are developing a Q expansion board, but not a remake of the whole Q.
Old 7th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J# Minor ➑️
They are developing a Q expansion board, but not a remake of the whole Q.
oh, ok. I was excited for a while.
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've placed my money down and have not gotten a email or a package yet. Figuring it's probably a one man shop I have no worries, just asking if others have received there units or got shipping notifications etc..

I'll post a update once I get mine or some notification etc.

Cheers!

EDIT: Updated from Tony and he said it would be going out in the next few days.

Last edited by kazper; 8th February 2015 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: Update!
Old 8th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper ➑️
I've placed my money down and have not gotten a email or a package yet. Figuring it's probably a one man shop I have no worries, just asking if others have received there units or got shipping notifications etc..

I'll post a update once I get mine or some notification etc.

Cheers!

EDIT: Updated from Tony and he said it would be going out in the next few days.
If I had been at work yesterday I would have received mine. But the office isn't open on the weekend. I should have mine tomorrow and I can try to post images and give a brief report.

Last edited by Fresh Pants; 8th February 2015 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 8th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I firmly believe the xtk is the best all round synth ever.

But now that nave vst is on the way I think I will just get the fridge magnet instead. . .
Old 9th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper ➑️
I firmly believe the xtk is the best all round synth ever.

But now that nave vst is on the way I think I will just get the fridge magnet instead. . .
Are you sure? Does Nave have the same characteristic sound with XTK?
Old 9th February 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
According to USPS, my expansion just got delivered. I won't know until I get home from work.
Old 10th February 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here's what 20 more voices look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project-img_0016.jpg  
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice! ^^^
I wonder if Waldorf is OK with someone making this expansion clone?

Pretty brilliant idea I may have to fork over for one of those.
Old 10th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➑️
Nice! ^^^

Pretty brilliant idea I may have to fork over for one of those.
Wait to ask until after mine ships....
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No don't worry I wont be asking anyone.. Oh just read that the expansion is for V3 only I have the first one so I guess I'm outa luck
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Crap, my MWXT is not one that can be expanded. <good grief>
Old 10th February 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Altogether, looks like this:

Haven't finished installing the screws to mount the main board to the chassis.

Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Glad it works like a charm.
Old 12th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➑️
Nice! ^^^
It's just two DSP chips and some RAM on a PCB. There's no Waldorf code and IP on there.

You can't buy a new expansion from Waldorf so they're not losing any sales are they?
Old 12th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur ➑️
Crap, my MWXT is not one that can be expanded. <good grief>
While it won't be an easy task. It might be possible to source all of the required signals from pads and chips on the PCB. A job for an experienced hardware hacker.
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Got my shipping notice!
Old 12th February 2015
|-|
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have a Q and XT, how would I check if they're compatible?
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Go to the website and select the expansion your interested in. He has instructions there on how and what... For the XT you need PCB v3.

It's a bummer if you don't have the correct pcb, but good luck to ya!
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well... Mine arrived today... Email sent out for help but, I still have 10 Voices.

Installed it per instructions and the Xt is not saying she has 30 voices only 10 Voices still. I have the same revision of PCB as shown by Fresh Pants and indicates a V3 pcb in menu, OS is V2.33.

Way Bummed out.. hopefully there is a fix or it's just a bad expansion mode ...

Well in less than 5 min, a return email and some hope.. Very impressed with the help from them. Might need to do a quick mod to the main board on my unit.

Last edited by kazper; 15th February 2015 at 12:22 AM..
Old 15th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well... Mine arrived today... Email sent out for help but, I still have 10 Voices.

Installed it per instructions and the Xt is not saying she has 30 voices only 10 Voices still. I have the same revision of PCB as shown by Fresh Pants and indicates a V3 pcb in menu, OS is V2.33.

Way Bummed out.. hopefully there is a fix or it's just a bad expansion mode ...

Well in less than 5 min, a return email and some hope.. Very impressed with the help from them. Might need to do a quick mod to the main board on my unit.
I did have to remove a single jumper, which I would assume you did, otherwise the expansion won't seat properly.

Out of curiosity, what kind of quick mod would you need to do/have done?
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm going to error on the side of caution for now and have someone else make the mod. I'm familiar but not tooled up with surface mount tools and don't want to mess up my XT and it's 4 layer PCB trying to use my through hole gear on it.

What has been discussed is that a factory mod was necessary on some PCB's where a small surface mount resistor is removed and the contacts are bridged over near the crystal oscillator. I will give the complete run down once Tony has updated the documentation or I get mine done and it's working correctly. I would rather not give out good info and someone toasts a great synth
Old 17th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I,m one of the lucky ones with a #3 board XTK
Sadly it looks like they're already out of stock

Oh well
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty ➑️
Well I,m one of the lucky ones with a #3 board XTK
Sadly it looks like they're already out of stock

Oh well
There is another batch coming.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just to point out that there is a manual for the DSP install found Here. When I was installing it originally I also had to remove a jumper from the far right on the expansion header, I believe it shorted Pin 31 to pin 32.
These modification notes are based on the fact that on boot up I couldn't get my XT to recognize the DSP expansion. I just performed the modifications that Tony had recommended and after checking with a friend on how best to tackle the work.

They way it was explained was there was a modifications necessary to some XT PCB's that was done at the factory or service center when the DPS's were fitted. It's unclear if only a number of rev 3 pcbs need this and or by my speculation it was fixed in a later PCB silent revision or stuffing a slightly different part. So try to use the DSP without thinking you need this...

Anyways, the modification is remove the top resistor marked 101 just under the crystal oscillator and bridge the pads on the main pcb as shown in the picture from Tony.

My buddie gave me some pointers on removing the component and I'll share them.

1) Remove any coatings if necessary (not on my pcb, but as a general rule)
2) Apply a small amount of liquid flux to the part you want to remove.
3) Using a pair of very fine tip soldering iron's, one on each side of the componet heat and lift up the resistor and remove from the PCB board.
4) Reapply additional flux and then by tinning the tip of the iron place a small amount of solder on the pads to bridge the gap.
5) Don't have your iron inlpace for a long time as it will damage the PCB, I tried to only heat the area for 1-2 seconds max. Give it about 30-45 seconds between heatings to let everything cool down.
6) Clean up the board and remove all traces of the flux using kimwhipe's or cotton swabs and 90%+ rubbing alcohol.

I tested this procedure out on a couple different dead items before going ahead and trying it out. It's fairly simple for anyone with the right tools and good hand eye coordination. Otherwise pay someone to do it for you, I had a quote for $80 from a local electronics service center for 1/2 hour of tech time. I called while I was waiting for my buddie to get back to me and when he told me how to do it with tools I have it was a no brainer to keep that $80 for a bottle of whiskey.

Once your done reassemble and test for the expansion to be recognized.

KaZ.
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project-xt_30_voice-mod.jpg  

Last edited by kazper; 17th February 2015 at 11:46 PM..
Old 20th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
When I was installing it originally I also had to remove a jumper from the far right on the expansion header, I believe it shorted Pin 31 to pin 32.
These modification notes are based on the fact that on boot up I couldn't get my XT to recognize the DSP expansion.
KaZ.
Thanks for posting this information, I also had this issue and resolved it with this modification.

I used desoldering braid on one side of the resistor to free that side, then held the resistor with pliers and heated the other side and lifted the resistor off.

But you could actually just solder a wire either side of the resistor to bypass it. The advantage of that approach is you could then cut the wire at a future date if you needed to (unlikely though).
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just installed this expansion in my XTk, no mods necessary. The only issue was getting the damn keyboard apart, actual voice installation super easy. Now my XTk sounds AMAZING!

Old 23rd February 2015 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge ➑️
There is another batch coming.
I just missed this as well. subscribed heh
Old 8th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge ➑️
Just installed this expansion in my XTk, no mods necessary. The only issue was getting the damn keyboard apart, actual voice installation super easy. Now my XTk sounds AMAZING!

I have my expansion on the way now for my XTk. Any advice or gotchas you could give with taking it apart? What was your issue getting it apart besides too many screws?

Devon
πŸ“ Reply