Quantcast
Anyone own a Nektar Panorama? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone own a Nektar Panorama?
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone own a Nektar Panorama?

I’ve been looking for a good MIDI keyboard for a while, but I haven’t found one I’m completely satisfied with. I love the Fatar keybed on Novation’s SL 49; it’s light years beyond everything else I’ve tried and makes all the other keybeds feel like playing a sponge. But the knobs are too small and close together, the faders are on the other side and flat, and the color scheme sucks. The MPK looks a lot cooler, the layout is better and the knobs and faders are a dream to tweak, but there aren’t as many controls as the SL and I can’t bring myself to like the keys. Besides that nothing else has come close.

Then I saw the Panorama, wow. I haven’t had a chance to play it in person, but it looks like sex incarnate and its knob/fader/LCD layout is exactly what I’m looking for. But for some reason it’s being sold as a Reason controller, and it’s new enough that Google didn’t turn up any instances of people using it on other DAWs. I don’t use Reason, so I’m curious: how does it work with other DAWs?

It seems obvious that the pads, buttons and knobs could be MIDI mapped to send CCs, but what happens to the scene/bank change buttons and the LCD screen if you’re using a different DAW? I need at least the ability to make separate mapping banks like on the MPK or SL, and it would be a shame to lose the LCD functionality.

When I look at the Panorama I see knobs, faders, and buttons; nothing Reason-specific. It seems like the only reason this is a Reason controller is because of the firmware; all it would take is a programmer utility to make it an all-purpose controller.

(Rant: This reminds me of the Launchpad, which is a brilliant piece of hardware - what can’t you do with 64 buttons? A lot of things, because when you deviate from the Ableton template you lose the ability to custom program pages, faders, clip sequencers, and colors, turning the pads into nothing more than MIDI notes. In the LaunchPad’s case it took a 3rd-party program (MIDI Katapult) to restore the functionality that was already present but locked away from people who needed custom setups.)

Semi-related anecdote: A friend of mine was talking about his music, and a girl we knew asked him what he used to make it. He says, "I make my music with Reason and Logic." Since you can't see capital letters in conversation, she thought he was weird and that his music must have been really boring.
Old 5th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Revive Bump because I want to know too.

Also, does anyone know I the knobs are infinitely rotating (I'm sure there's a proper word for this...) ones?
Old 5th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomcf ➡️
Revive Bump because I want to know too.

Also, does anyone know I the knobs are infinitely rotating (I'm sure there's a proper word for this...) ones?
Encoder is the term you are thinking of.
Old 5th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Seems they officially support and supply the firmware for Live.

Using Panorama with Ableton Live
Old 5th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➡️
Encoder is the term you are thinking of.
So an encoder rotates forever while a knob rotates only 300 (or is it 330?) degrees?

Does anyone have experience on using this with logic?
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Any of you guys know how the surface feedback works when using with Live? Example: I have a knob set to midi cc 25 on channel 6 on the nektar, I map that to a knob in Live. I load preset on the nektar, is there visual feedback/sync that tells me what position my knob is at? How about knob label? Do these kinds of feedback update as soon as a preset is loaded?
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

when talking about the electromechanical gubbins underneath the knobs...

potentiometers are analog, variable resistors and they typically have a 270-degree range of rotation.

"endless rotary" is the term for the type of things that can rotate, um, endlessly. typically endless rotary controls are "encoders" (which are basically digital input devices) as opposed to potentiometers, but the terms aren't interchangeable.

carry on...
Old 5th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How well does this controller work in Pro Tools? Is it possible to use the motorized fader and fly thru tracks without the 8 bank limitations of say the faderport?
Old 7th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I contacted Nektar with that question, their answer:

Quote:
It will only work with ProTools as a generice MIDI controller. There is advanced integration for Pro Tools at this point. The tight integration we have developed is for Reason and Cubase
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Recently bought a P4, and whilst the build quality is great, the Ableton integration is considerably sparser than I had anticipated.

If you are technically minded it may be no problem, but it's too much of a pain for me to set up, especially for similar money I can get a Novation which has deeper integration.
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How are the keys on this compared to Novation, etc.?
Old 2nd September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I had an old Evolution MK-461C up until this past Spring when the sustain pedal mechanism died on me. After much back and forth M Audio confirmed that it wasn't a software issue and was likely hardware related and they were not providing any options so far as fixing it.

So I decided to take my time, do the research and hopefully step up to something better than what I had.

I think I achieved this with the Nektar P6!

First off, the keys... I've been playing on them over the past few days and personally like them. The black keys do feel different from the white and for some this will be an issue. For me it's not. I get the impression that Nektar wanted the keyboard to be a happy medium between weighted and synth style. I think they achieved that and for someone like myself who came from a classical background but understands and appreciates the benefits of synth action, this seems to give me the best of both worlds.

The build (fit and finish) is great considering the cost.

There is also a good variety of velocity curves to choose from and they're so easy to get to and change that depending on the content your working on, you can just switch a heavy curve out for a softer one if the music calls for it!

I like how the pitch/mod wheels are to the left of the keyboard as that's what I'm used to. Roland puts out a nice 61 key controller but I don't like the pitch/mod wheel design.

Like others have mentioned though, it's the deep integration (Reason/Cubase) which is blowing me away. Flipping from one channel to another and having the motorized fader snap to position where you can fine tune your level, solo and mute is huge. For me banking 8 manual faders at a time and then having to reposition everything is a workflow killer.

Being able to do this while at the same time scrolling thru patches on an instrument and then being able to fine tune the sound simply is a wonderful feature to have at your fingertips.

And then there are the F keys which you can program to fit your personal needs. Nice...

While there is no manual that I'm aware of and the Quick Start Guide is pretty sparse, there is a wealth of tutorials on YouTube now which pretty much gives you all the learning you need to get up and running pretty quickly. Also the keyboard is just downright intuitive. The big screen helps but there was some real thinking (for once) that went into the workflow here.

Lastly, while I have had no need so far for any customer service, it appears they are serious about being responsive. I can't stress enough how big a deal that is.

Hope this helps! I'm a happy camper.... : )
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am quite happy with my Nektar P6... Customer service has been quick and helpful. A solid keyboard controller. I like the action.
Old 10th October 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCompany ➡️
Recently bought a P4, and whilst the build quality is great, the Ableton integration is considerably sparser than I had anticipated.

If you are technically minded it may be no problem, but it's too much of a pain for me to set up, especially for similar money I can get a Novation which has deeper integration.
Can you please specify the integration limitations? Like, does the motorized fader work? Does the LCD display the current settings of the pan controls and pad banks? Thanks!

I think this is such a shame, why not build tighter integration with all major daws? This controller is perfect in every way except its integration with Logic/Pro Tools/Ableton!!
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_pimp ➡️
Can you please specify the integration limitations? Like, does the motorized fader work? Does the LCD display the current settings of the pan controls and pad banks? Thanks!

I think this is such a shame, why not build tighter integration with all major daws? This controller is perfect in every way except its integration with Logic/Pro Tools/Ableton!!
It's hard to remember exactly as it was quite a while ago and I only tried it for one night .

As far as I remember you can only control the mixer and panning and I an sure the motorised fader worked ok .

It was quite a shame as the controller was great , but if Nektar can't find the time to integrate the controller properly then there is no chance if me doing it .
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Nektar is pretty good, I like it
Old 11th October 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
As I understand it Nektar is planning to eventually expand to other DAWs. Which ones and how long are unknown.

The reason it takes so long is these guys are about deep integration. For Reason and Cubase it's deep enough where you really don't find yourself using the mouse anymore.

Since it's not just top line generic control it takes a lot of man hours to program all that stuff (including plugins) in a meaningful way.
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i bought a panorama p4 recently to use it with cubase, and there is a almost unusable latency of about 500ms when switching channels in cubase...anyone noticed this kind of behaviour with other remote control devices? is this a fixable error as i really like some of the features and the cubase integration per se but it is definately not fast enough for my workflow
Old 1st November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by housegezeichnet ➡️
i bought a panorama p4 recently to use it with cubase, and there is a almost unusable latency of about 500ms when switching channels in cubase...anyone noticed this kind of behaviour with other remote control devices? is this a fixable error as i really like some of the features and the cubase integration per se but it is definately not fast enough for my workflow
Interesting, where are you seeing the latency? I own the P1, not the P4, but I have not noticed any latency with cubase when switching tracks.
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well everywhere...there is a lag until the motor fader has recognized its new position and when i'm changing any parameters even with the mouse it is applied to the previously selected track...

Another bug is that the controller randomly pans tracks to L02 instead of center
Old 2nd November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Impact LX

this is available from this month! sadly not compatible with 10.6, i refuse to upgrade.
Old 2nd November 2013
Gear Maniac
I think that might be why I haven't noticed the lag, there is no motorized fader on the P1. It has been a pretty solid controller.

As for the Impact LX, it's cheap and doesn't seem to have the deep integration on the level of the Panorama controllers.
Old 2nd November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well everywhere...there is a lag until the motor fader has recognized its new position and when i'm changing any parameters even with the mouse it is applied to the previously selected track...

Another bug is that the controller randomly pans tracks to L02 instead of center
Have you contacted support, as that is not usual behaviour?
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I want the P6 so bad.

However, I just cant get past the pad configuration and location of the pads. Right now my MPK61 matches up so well with Motu BPM.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there good integration with Logic Pro X as well? Or is this mainly targeted at Reason/Cubase users....?
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
the only "full integration" released by the company is Cubase and Reason so far. You can of course make your own templates.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been looking for new controller for a while and while Nektars look good they only fully support Reason/Steinberg.

Now they have added support for Bitwig:

If they would add similar support for Live/Logic i would get one without thinking. Now i will first test Bitwig.

Edit: Logic X support is coming:
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Hi this is Tim from Nektar.

We recently found and fixed the issue in our Cubase integration that caused latency with track selection on some users systems. If you are still experiencing this issue, please log-in to your account at nektar and download the latest Cubase installer (Uploaded 2013/12/25 - version 1.0.5b). If the problem persists, please contact support.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I read some info about nektar interfacing with bitwig. A nektar engineer says the script used is javascript and it allows to modify keystrokes in a great way. While using bitwig, he changes the focused bitwig section (arrangement, mixer, fxs) in a click; as I understand both bitwig and nektar are close to Live and Push, but nektar can be used with many DAWs and the scripting options seem deep.
Old 29th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TChandler ➡️
Hi this is Tim from Nektar.

We recently found and fixed the issue in our Cubase integration that caused latency with track selection on some users systems. If you are still experiencing this issue, please log-in to your account at nektar and download the latest Cubase installer (Uploaded 2013/12/25 - version 1.0.5b). If the problem persists, please contact support.
Already installed it some time ago and while it worked in cubase 7 (which i was testing weeks ago) the issue remains in cubase 6.5...
📝 Reply