question about song - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
question about song
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
question about song

i have liked this song and listened to it a few times already. but i like it more and more

my question is. what is the instrument in the beginning of the song?

it sounds like a guitar *harmonics?, layered with some synth. and a pad in the background... alright.. im just curious but how can i recreate this sound? can you help me?!

Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So within those first few seconds I hear:

1. A layered base that has a tubish-tone to it with a sub bass attached centered.
2. A guitar where the more pronounced strumming part is a higher octave and slightly panned left with the 2nd part of the guitar strumming a lower octave center.
3. A single pad that starts at the begin and slowly creeps in louder and louder.
4. A raindrop arpeggio of some sort that falls in panned left (roughly 30%).

In addition to these elements, they have also applied silent side-chain compression to the guitar and bass. This is the pumping effect you hear where the sound seems to rise and fall.

So you need:

1. Layered bass utilizing a sub + conservative tube bass perhaps at a slightly higher (than it sounding like a wet fart) octave to give it the little harmonic it has.
2. A 2 part guitar where you have a higher the higher octave strumming leading the track panned slightly left and the lower octave strumming which simply just follows the base line on a typical 4 note decline left in center on top to accompany.
3. A simple harmonic pad.
4. An arpeggio that is panned left. As for that specific arpeggio or sound, i can't comment.

It's all these sounds coming together that create the sound you seek young padawan. Hope that helps!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…