Quantcast
High End Problems - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High End Problems
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
High End Problems

I'm trying to get a better grip on controlling the high end to produce a dark electronic sound...what parts are normally allowed the most reach? hats im assuming? where do you roll them off at? then what..vocals,pads,mid range bass? ive been trying to get a better grip on this ala burial/kryptic minds and am struggling to prevent things from becoming muddy..

Additionally, I've been having to do a pretty gentle roll off on my highs around 12khz in order to prevent ear fatigue from piercing highs. Could there be other frequencies causing this tiring effect? Could it be the room I produce in? I use rocket krk 6's with the HF turned all the way down, but am still experiencing this phenomena. Could it be reflections off my wood table? Off the hardwood floor? The way the sound accumulates in the corner I sit in?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can only answer generally....
1) select / design sounds with plenty of detail in the high end. Listen carefully at this stage to their effect. Try to do this by designing sounds in the first place, rather than coming back later and EQ'ing.
2) High instruments aren't the only highs in the mix. As per above, often pick or create sounds with high end details. E.g. the high hat isn't the only part of the high end.
3) Develop the high end by mixing those instruments (above); do this as much as possible as a preference to broadly EQ'ing the whole mix. This will work wonders with the ear fatigue thing - the high end of the mix should be invigorating and tantalising, not fatiguing.

My 2 cents :-)
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…