Quantcast
Moog, big announcements, Voyager is 10! - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog, big announcements, Voyager is 10!
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The price drop thing is a bit bs. Moog says they are dropping the price from 3659$ - but there were already great deals and bundles on the market for the last few years.
Just as an example, novamusik has a select series voyager bundle with a voyager, an ata case, 3 moogerfoogers, dust cover etc etc - all for 3599$. So i don't understand what's the big deal, and how will this affect street prices.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the big deal is that you can now order direct from Moog and pay essentially the same as what retailers are selling for (Sweetwater, for example). AFAIK Nova is out of business...
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1. Why should i (or anybody else for that matter) care if i buy a voyager from sweetwater or directly from moog? Is there any difference?

2. As far as i know/understand, nova isn't out of buisness. They were bought and under new management.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➑️
hmm, a 5-6 voice poly Moog with basic features, around 1900, would hurt both, the Mophox4 and the Prophet.
The sad thing about this is, it is technically not an impossibility. However I feel this is not going to happen with Moog. At least not at a $2K level. If Moog is going to release something like a low cost 6 voice poly synth, the price will be around $3600. (6x Minitaur at $600/each). However at that higher price point, I still would be very interested in buying one. Anything higher, no way.
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DSI stuff is all made in the US, in San Francisco now no less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox ➑️
I'm under the impression Arturia outsourced their development, and DSI manufacturers their products in China. Moog on the other hand has in-house development, and manufacturers their products in USA. Obviously you're paying for the Moog brand-name to some extent, but their approach to development and manufacturing are significant factors as well.

Having said that, what Moog really needs is a product that's unlike anything on the market... and I've got just the idea, so drop me a line Moog
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➑️
DSI stuff is all made in the US, in San Francisco now no less
As it should remain!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 ➑️
As it should remain!
yeah really. That makes me actually want to buy their products. Im so sick of manufacturers off shoring everything at the expense of the people they are trying to sell to.

You guys should carry that loud and clear "Made in the USA"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer ➑️
The sad thing about this is, it is technically not an impossibility. However I feel this is not going to happen with Moog. At least not at a $2K level. If Moog is going to release something like a low cost 6 voice poly synth, the price will be around $3600. (6x Minitaur at $600/each). However at that higher price point, I still would be very interested in buying one. Anything higher, no way.
You should calculate these possibilities differently. For example a six voice poly based on the minitaur wouldn't be 6 x 600$, because you wouldn't need 6 psu's, 6 times the knobs, 6 midi interfaces and so on. Same goes for a possibility of a phatty based poly.
The only poly synths i know that literaly have four of everything are the vermona perfourmer and the ob four voice. Notice how even the upcoming oberheim SOFV was priced (and probably will be) less than the simple sum of four individual sems.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid ➑️
I think the Voyager XL was a really stupid synth to make. You really don't need a five octave keyboard on a mono-synth, 37-49 keys are enough and as all moog products too expensive.

DSI and now Arturia can make affordable analog synth even poly synth for a decent price... why can't Moog?
Yeah, but the patch points! heh Dump the keys, and xy (make it an app) fill that space with fooger hardware and more patch points, delay, flux, ring mod, phaser, etc.

Modular market has too many options, too many clones, and too much confusion, but a more affordable moog semi modular with patch saving and the name Moog on it still has some pull, I think.

As far as the a name, Moog muge.

Screw poly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
You should calculate these possibilities differently.
It is not a calculation, it is a quick and dirty estimate. You may save money on some parts, but you also need more complex components, software, memory, multiplexers etc. And it should have a keyboard, and wheels as well. Your suggested savings will be eaten up by more complex design rather quickly.

Also the Minitaur has a limited frequency range. In order for those VCO to be working in a poly synth, you have to build them to a higher standard. The Minitaur is a low cost unit at $600. You cant compare that to a SEM that costs more to begin with.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater ➑️
Yeah, but the patch points! heh Dump the keys, and xy (make it an app) fill that space with fooger hardware and more patch points, delay, flux, ring mod, phaser, etc.

Modular market has too many options, too many clones, and too much confusion, but a more affordable moog semi modular with patch saving and the name Moog on it still has some pull, I think.

As far as the a name, Moog muge.

Screw poly.
Also (and correct me if I'm wrong), I can never see +/- octave buttons on the pictures. And it has the ribbon controller.

If I had the cash to throw at it, I'd go for the XL without a moment's hesitation.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a bit confused here. Maybe a missed something.
I understood the voyager RME is also discontinued. But looking at the moog website, i see the price drop only on the select series (2999$) while the RME is still priced at 2795$. Isn't there supposed to be a price drop for the RME as well? And if so - how much?
It seems very un-reasonable for someone to buy an RME for 2795$ when he could buy a full on voyager with a keyboard for 200$ more (unless it's a matter of desk "real estate").
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where do you see that the RME is discontinued? The web site says only the Select Series is discontinued.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I could be wrong. Someone here suggested this possibility on the first page of this thread.
Anyway, if it's not discontinued - yet still priced at 2795$ - it seems stupid not to add 200$ while you're at it, and get a voyager select series. In other words, it seems logical to me that the select series price drop should have an effect on the rest of the voyager models pricing and on sales.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
probably moog are going for all SMD parts and cut costs. The voyager main board is "beautifull".
All the new modern moogs i think are SMD , phatty and minitaur.
And for me that's not a good step in the right direction.
But this is not a fact, i hope i'm wrong
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I could be wrong. Someone here suggested this possibility on the first page of this thread.
Anyway, if it's not discontinued - yet still priced at 2795$ - it seems stupid not to add 200$ while you're at it, and get a voyager select series. In other words, it seems logical to me that the select series price drop should have an effect on the rest of the voyager models pricing and on sales.
Why? Moog are trying to clear the warehouse of select series so why discount everything else? It would mean the select series takes longer to sell out, which is the whole point of the discount.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think the RME is discontinued...
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
They are not discontinuing the voyager (at least not yet), they are just going to stop making them to order (based on what case and what colors you want). So... There will only be the stock voyager left for sale. This I would assume would free up the resources and some man power for moog to put towards something new which they haven't announced yet... That's what I took from all this.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep. But we kinda know what it is already. The pic shows a voyager OS panel with backlighting. So it's likely a new special edition OS keyboard with perhaps some access to presets but with a keyboard like the phatty ie 3 octaves as opposed to the voyagers longer keyboard. I don't think it's a rack as the dials on the pic look to be the same size as the OS whose panel wouldn't fit in a rack. So my money is on a new OS keyboard.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds ➑️
Why? Moog are trying to clear the warehouse of select series so why discount everything else? It would mean the select series takes longer to sell out, which is the whole point of the discount.
Could be. But in light of this news from moog, and if you had the money and was given a choice - would you buy a voyager RME for that price when you could add 200$ and get a voyager keyboard?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Could be. But in light of this news from moog, and if you had the money and was given a choice - would you buy a voyager RME for that price when you could add 200$ and get a voyager keyboard?
Maybe a Voyager RME/Desktop Old School? One knob per function with 3 oscs, no patch memory and about $1500. That would be my ideal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J ➑️
Maybe a Voyager RME/Desktop Old School? One knob per function with 3 oscs, no patch memory and about $1500. That would be my ideal.
That would be super nice - provided there's midi, unlike the OS keyboard.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That would be super nice - provided there's midi, unlike the OS keyboard.
CV/Gate would be fine with me. In fact, I'd love it to have patchable points ala Dark Energy, Oberheim SEM and other semi-modulars.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Any more news on this? It's been a few days.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some slight differences in the pic posted in regards to the RME...

1) The "1" label for osc 1 is higher up, next to the logo instead of being lower down next to the octave knob.
2) The "on" label for the mixer switches is at the bottom instead of top of the switch.
3) The labels for the Env. Gate are both on the bottom row.

That said, dunno if there are different revisions of the RME.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer ➑️
Any more news on this? It's been a few days.
I think the news is purely that the Voyager is 10 and the RME is being discontinued.

Curious how a company can make big news and marketing out of a discontinuation..
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
well the real news is the price drop
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➑️
I think the news is purely that the Voyager is 10 and the RME is being discontinued.
You probably meant that the Voyager is 10 and the SELECT SERIES is being discontinued.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
on the speculation front i really do hope moog is preparing some new big stuff like a successor to the voyager. not necessarily a poly synth, price would be outrageous and DSI are doing just fine in this department, however i wouldn't like history to reproduce itself and see moog lose the battle. i doubt that will happen, there is room for both discrete mono vco's and poly chip dco synths, but DSI do pack a mean punch feature/sound wise. I'd love to see a step sequencer or at the very least an arpeggiator in the voyager, basically any kind of real innovation going beyond color/light schemes...
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You probably meant that the Voyager is 10 and the SELECT SERIES is being discontinued.
Thanx. I sit corrected.
πŸ“ Reply