Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer ➑️
A repackaged Voyager in a new color? I don't hold my breath...g
+100
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade ➑️
Says they are discontinuing the Select series with a $600 price drop...
At last...!!! Select series was the most dump idea for Moog ever! It raised the expenses of the company only to fulfill the trendy taste of wealthy musicians...beautiful machines, but...yeah, I would prefer a standard model and some new innovations more often.

What's next? DSI now has a powerful and affordable polyphonic synth which is cheaper than Little Phatty. How is Moog going to beat the competition?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
MonoMoog featuring the legendary moog filter and 1 VCO
"So, let me tell you about the features: It's part of the Moog 'legacy', it has midi and a legendary Moog filter! ..and now the best surprise feature: you can actually control the cutoff frequency"
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Perhaps a new version that brings back the high/top end vintage sizzle that Amos 'accepted our challenge' on a while back... here's hoping
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well it's not like they are discontinuing the Voyager - just the select series. So I'm not sure I'd expect any replacement model.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
Well it's not like they are discontinuing the Voyager - just the select series. So I'm not sure I'd expect any replacement model.
That still saves them a lot of money.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Poly or GTFO.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I miss my LP...it could be nice to have a new LP with improved VCOs/filter and a noise source.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A new Poly-Moog would be Poly-Awesome

8-voice polyphonic similar to the DSI-Prophet 8 but with VCO's instead of DCO's
Full ANALOG ! Now that would be a big treat after 10 years of waiting for a poly-moog to show up.

Hopefully, it's not another 10th anniversary special addition stylish, new color scheme monophonic-Voyager.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A return to modular...er.....modules?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hmm, a 5-6 voice poly Moog with basic features, around 1900, would hurt both, the Mophox4 and the Prophet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➑️
Dumb- sorry! We're talking about the Voyager, aren't we?

Website says the select series is discontinued now, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️
8-voice polyphonic similar to the DSI-Prophet 8
Similar flexibility? No way...that would cost over 6k-7k in "Moog money". I'm guessing more something like a 4 voice with the features of a Little Phatty and maybe an improved VCO/filter for the price of a select series voyager...(around 3600 euros)
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nah. Seems to me like the "big announcement" is just about the discontinued products, and the (relatively significant) price drop as a result.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

Moog could get into the inexpensive poly analog market (think mopho x4) by cramming 3 slim phatties into a little phatty and giving it 49 keys for example (little poly?). If they somehow keep it under 2k$ that would be nice.

You can do this with polychaining but it gets messy with wires not to mention rackspace usage. It's also expensive.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They're teaming up with Korg and Roland to make the 'Moogatron Supernatural'
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
"So, let me tell you about the features: It's part of the Moog 'legacy', it has midi and a legendary Moog filter! ..and now the best surprise feature: you can actually control the cutoff frequency"
Maybe making a two VCO synth with a noice generator this time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Nah. Seems to me like the "big announcement" is just about the discontinued products, and the (relatively significant) price drop as a result.
Exactly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Yeah, I was kind of hoping for something more. Seems a bit strange for such fanfare to announce you are discontinuing something. I would think such hype would be reserved for new products. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➑️
Now THAT would be cool. Maybe release some authentic Moog 5U modules or (gasp) Eurorack modules.

One can dream...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
Maybe making a two VCO synth with a noice generator this time.
I wish this was true but they keep the "really expensive" features for their top products, so, an authentic Moog noise generator is not going to be affordable. This is too much for the < $3000 Moog market...
Old 21st September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Now THAT would be cool. Maybe release some authentic Moog 5U modules or (gasp) Eurorack modules.

One can dream...
There are already lots of manufacturers with Moog style sound and interface, even regarded as more vintage Moog than current Moog :
Moslab, Macbeth etc.... (just the 2 obvious)

No market for them here. Far too late.
Old 21st September 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I won't be surprised if they are going to bring down the cost of the Minimoog Voyager series in order to produce more of them and get them out to a wider range of consumers. It could have the same internals, but the externals could be greatly reduced in cost.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LIGHTS OUT ON THE MINIMOOG VOYAGER SELECT SERIES

END OF AN ERA GIVES RISE TO AN INSTANT COLLECTOR'S ITEM

CUSTOMIZE YOURS NOW!

Today Moog Music announced its plans to discontinue production of the Minimoog Voyager Select Series, one of the best selling analog synthesizers of all time. Over the last 6 years the Select Series has been used in studios and on stages around the globe. Whether it’s Madonna, Dr. Dre, Alicia Keys, CeeLo Green, Lady Gaga or Sugarland, the custom combinations of color and finish reflects the unique aesthetic and personality of its owner. Moog will continue building the Select Series through the end of the year, with the final Select Series leaving the factory on Jan 1, 2013, if supplies last that long.

This is the last chance ever for prospective buyers to purchase a Select Series Voyager, but it will also be their best chance. During the remaining months of production, Moog has reduced the selling price on all Select Series Voyagers from $3,659 to $2,999.

β€œWe felt it was important to give musicians who had always dreamt of customizing a handcrafted Voyager a final chance to build one at an unprecedented price," said Mike Adams, CEO Moog Music Inc. β€œWe are a small company that still builds by hand, so sometimes we have to make hard decisions about ending the life of even our most favorite products. However, history has shown that discontinued Minimoogs, like the Model D and the Old School, have a tendency to become highly sought after collector's items. I'm sure we'll see them on stages and in studios for years to come.” said Adams.

The discontinuation of the Select Series comes just as Moog begins celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Minimoog Voyager. The first Minimoog Voyager introduced the world to the next generation of analog synthesizers in 2002. To honor this milestone, Moog has created an interactive ten-year retrospective containing the untold history of the Voyager, artist profiles and performances, free gifts, and other announcements that are yet to come.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the Voyager XL was a really stupid synth to make. You really don't need a five octave keyboard on a mono-synth, 37-49 keys are enough and as all moog products too expensive.

DSI and now Arturia can make affordable analog synth even poly synth for a decent price... why can't Moog?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid ➑️
I think the Voyager XL was a really stupid synth to make. You really don't need a five octave keyboard on a mono-synth, 37-49 keys are enough and as all moog products too expensive.

DSI and now Arturia can make affordable analog synth even poly synth for a decent price... why can't Moog?
It doesn't mean -I think- the whole Voyager line is being killed just the Select Series (fwiu). Initially I also thought the whole Voyager range was killed. Maybe an email with the subject title: "Lights Out On Minimoog" is not such a good idea.

But it's under the 'Minimoog' product range on their website.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I too received the Moog e-mail this morning. The change is being made to lower production costs. Having to offer several variations must have become too expensive for their business goals. Surely Moog sells more of the Select Series than the XL, but maybe the profit margin is greater on the XL so they decided to discontinue the Select line. Whatever their reason is for the discontinuation, this is your last chance for a customized model.

Don't expect a factory price reduction on the Performer and Electric Blue editions. When the Voyager was released 10 years ago the street price was $2,695. The price gradually rose with the standard inflation of all synths. However, you can negotiate a lower price than $3,295 USD for these models.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM NRG ➑️
I too received the Moog e-mail this morning. The change is being made to lower production costs. Having to offer several variations must have become too expensive for their business goals. Surely Moog sells more of the Select Series than the XL, but maybe the profit margin is greater on the XL so they decided to discontinue the Select line. Whatever their reason is for the discontinuation, this is your last chance for a customized model.

Don't expect a factory price reduction on the Performer and Electric Blue editions. When the Voyager was released 10 years ago the street price was $2,695. The price gradually rose with the standard inflation of all synths. However, you can negotiate a lower price than $3,295 USD for these models.
...or get a much more powerful Macbeth Micromac and save more than 1200 euros until Moog has something really interesting and affordable to offer.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
...or get a much more powerful Macbeth Minimac and save more than 1200 euros until Moog has something really interesting and affordable to offer.
Yes, I fully agree with you. However, Moog's products have a large fanbase. I have owned a few Voyagers and MiniMoogs. These days the excitement for me is not in re-creating the past, but moving forward with more powerful software and various controllers. I loved using the touch surface on the Voyager, yet that control is limited when compared to what I can do with a Novation Launchpad. I am not at all trying to discourage anyone from buying a Voyager, so do not misuderstand my intention. The price reduction announcement is very significant and appealing.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid ➑️
I'm under the impression Arturia outsourced their development, and DSI manufacturers their products in China. Moog on the other hand has in-house development, and manufacturers their products in USA. Obviously you're paying for the Moog brand-name to some extent, but their approach to development and manufacturing are significant factors as well.

Having said that, what Moog really needs is a product that's unlike anything on the market... and I've got just the idea, so drop me a line Moog
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think whatever moog release next I am going to want. They really do have some very talented and creative people working there: Cyril Lance and of course Amos. I think they really understand the modern musician and modern working methods. It may be expensive but moog gear screams of quality and craftsmanship.
πŸ“ Reply