Quantcast
Ultimate Support Keyboard Stand Expert required!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ultimate Support Keyboard Stand Expert required!!
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ultimate Support Keyboard Stand Expert required!!

So I got this keyboard stand in parts ages ago and just made an A frame stand out of it, but was left with some spare pieces. It almost seemed like maybe it was two smaller stands as the way I made it was unlike any picture I had seen. Being as how Ultimate Support no longer exist (afaik) its been difficult to find any info.

As you can see from my pic I have quite a wide base and would prefer to have a square stand as opposed to an A frame but I'm not even sure if Ultimate made those???

Anyway I was hoping someone could shed some light on whether this was originally two stands, or could it be built into a square stand? Also any kind of strategy would be helpful as space is a premium and I'm want to have as much synth per sq ft as possible. TIA & after too!

Here's what I have:

4ft tube x 10
3.5 tube x 3
1.5 tube x 2
1.5 brace x 2
1.2 tube x 1
2.10 tube x 2
swivel clamps x 2 (top of A frame)

1.5 = 1 in 5/12 btw sry
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
and by experts i mean anyone who has ever owned an ultimate support system ...
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's quite the monstrosity you've got there.

Ultimate sold mostly A frames that had either two keyboards or three. I have one of each. But, you could order various pieces to customize your stands, I have a couple of small arms that can attach on the sides for drum machines, midi sequencers or other small devices. I remember seeing many a music store that had just one pipe that was bolted to the floor and ceiling with many keyboards stacked. My guess is you have one frame with many custom pieces.

Also here is there website:'
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well. I have used Ultimate Support stands for decades. What you have there is an evolved A frame. it's evolved because the angle of it allows it to get really close to the wall thus eliminating the waste of space that the earlier models were all about. But the early models were all about live rigs. I had a clear anodized aluminum one for years. Now I have a black anodized one. very lightweight,, easy to build.. brilliant design. What you have there is a lot of great stuff.. It's "modular" in that sense. You have tons of arms and clamps. And never be afraid to drill holes in that stuff and customize it. I also have one of their scissor stands with three tiers. I once used the A frame as a clothing hanger while my house was being built. and I have also used it to prototype large format sound system speaker directivity angles. These structures have many uses beyond synths. That's good stuff that you have there. Kind of reminds me of Buckminster Fuller's "Geodesic Dome"
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
well I don't know how "evolved" I got in my custom design... but thanks for shedding some light. Still think I might cut some pipe and try to customize a square frame out of it. The A frame seemed to take up too much real estate plus the bottom keyboard tray that served as support was too high (and i'm pretty tall) so I'm pretty sure I built it wrong from the get go. Also it seemed a little unstable (I wish there was just 4 tall pipes instead of having to put a joint in the middle.

Thx Again!
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
frankenstand.

synthesizer gooooood!
fire baaaaaad!
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
indeed sir
Old 24th September 2012
m.o
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ultimate Support Keyboard Stand Expert required!!-homerbbq.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Ultimate Support Keyboard Stand Expert required!!-homerbbq.jpg  
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
it was a little like that today . but after cutting an odd piece I think fabbing up a square frame is def the way to go here.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I decided to build a custom stand by using a whole bunch of a-frame type tubing, connectors etc and create a stand that fastens to the wall. Sorry for the crappy pics, but with this concept you can make a huge stand that wraps around the walls of your studio etc ... and build it any way you want. I fasten the top of the stand with connector that they used to sell as a speaker mount, or to the floor.

I took a close up pic to give you an idea of the connector. This stand is solid, takes up less space and looks great.
Attached Thumbnails
Ultimate Support Keyboard Stand Expert required!!-toronto-20120924-00155.jpg   Ultimate Support Keyboard Stand Expert required!!-toronto-20120924-00158.jpg  
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MC Escher couldn't have built a stand any better than that one.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Definitely a great idea/setup there ILS, but I'm renting so going into the wall is not an option for me. However, the square idea is working well, have cut down an odd piece, now have 2 levels. Will have to consider the next piece to saw for the next layer. Though I suppose I could get some more pipe... They sell this pipe at home depot?
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
m.o
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesound ➑️
I decided to build a custom stand by using a whole bunch of a-frame type tubing, connectors etc and create a stand that fastens to the wall. Sorry for the crappy pics, but with this concept you can make a huge stand that wraps around the walls of your studio etc ... and build it any way you want. I fasten the top of the stand with connector that they used to sell as a speaker mount, or to the floor.

I took a close up pic to give you an idea of the connector. This stand is solid, takes up less space and looks great.
Where do you get those tubes and joints from?
What do I search for, A-framing?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey guys,

I bought all the parts from Jaspers - Keyb.-st

I drew out what I wanted it to look like and then ordered the different pieces.

He has lots of different options. Also, there is a company in the U.S. that makes modular stands for factories that uses almost the same pieces as Ultimate Support used to make. I forget the name though sorry.

I'll take another pic in a few to show you what it looks like all together.
Old 24th September 2012
m.o
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Very interesting, I didn't realize they sold tubes and parts, I only saw the complete stands...

I will need a new multi tier stand/rig of some sort soon since I've got slutty stuff incoming... Now I just need to figure out how I want it.
πŸ“ Reply