Quantcast
Software used in Moog or DSI synths? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Software used in Moog or DSI synths?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Software used in Moog or DSI synths?

Im curious about what goes into the software end of things inside modern analog synthesizers. Does anyone have any resources for things like this? Where does one start when building when building a a patch memory and things like that...
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I doubt there is a standard for this. So different manufacturers likely handle it in different ways.
The smaller/DIY companies are great to learn from though, like Mutable Instruments, who's synths are open source. So all the info you could want about how they work is there for anyone that is interested to see (of course you learn plenty building the things too). And the developer/creator/brainiac is arguably a lot more approachable than most too.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good advice here, the DIY community has some outstanding resources.

There's no real standard way of doing it. It depends on the hardware and the processor you're using.

Take it one step at a time. Maybe start with a MIDI controller (since in the end that's what you're doing to the synth side) then branch out from there. If you already know how to design a voltage controlled analog synth, then it would be a small jump from the MIDI controller to controlling the CVs. The hard part will be learning the embedded architecture and code techniques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor ➡️
I doubt there is a standard for this. So different manufacturers likely handle it in different ways.
The smaller/DIY companies are great to learn from though, like Mutable Instruments, who's synths are open source. So all the info you could want about how they work is there for anyone that is interested to see (of course you learn plenty building the things too). And the developer/creator/brainiac is arguably a lot more approachable than most too.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys! that is the direction i was looking for. i'll check out Mutable Instruments...Awesome!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…