Decent 1st modular under $2500? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decent 1st modular under $2500?
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTARE ➑️
So this modular here, what are its pros and cons? What is its best kind of application? This is one of the "complete" kind of modules I've been looking hard at...
Well this particular setup has a compressor, a frequency shifter, a phaser, an insert mixer along with a single oscillator and dual filter ao. It seems geared towards signal processing.

But of course Cwejman has everything you need to build a standard subtractive synthesizer path and much more. The functionality Cwejman offers is anything but standard though and the price reflects it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This thread is really helpful for me personally.

See, I have been realizing lately that I don't actually need so many synths for what I do. Look, I think I only need 4: a decent 2 osc analog monosynth (ProOne), a couple of analog polys with different qualities (Polysix and a Chroma in my case maybe), and a wildcard with a digital element (ESQ-1 or whatever). I'd add to that a decent modular, maybe even 3.5k worth.

Then some good outboard (H3000, space echo), a decent laptop and audio interface, a sampler with low-bit capability, and two drum machines, one with good kick/snare options (some Jomox maybe) and another with good perc capabilities (MachineDrum).

Then a decent 2-channel compressor, a dirty 2-channel compressor, and a decent 2-channel preamp.

So I am thinking, I could sell some toys (Micromoog, Prophet VS, CS-50, SH1000, Ax-73, ASR-10, Poly61) - that's about $5.5-6.5k worth - buy a decent modular, a pair of distressors, two cheap DBXs, a Jomox, and then later on add the ProOne, upgrade the UA610 to a UA 2-channel tube pre, and I've downsized and upgraded.

The downside is that every toy I have I use - they each have different qualities and tones. Won't be flicking that Polaris off in a hurry though!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I sold my Micromoog and replaced it with this:

Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ok so updating this old thread, I picked up a used ASol Tereshkova and have been very impressed by its inspiration for composition and for sampling into hardware.

It does make me want more old school sonic cream in the OSCs though so I guess I'll be sacrificing features for sound sometime soon.

I'm not knocking the ASol - it's wonderful.
Old 24th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
I sold my Micromoog and replaced it with this:

That sounds f*cking rippin homie. That wholesome analog sound just makes the heart smile.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 for Cwejman S1. Got mine used for $2500 and it's the only semi modular I kept when I went balls deep with eurorack (aside from arp2600 but that has sentimental value.) Cwejman quality is amazing, it is completely semi modular (like cv in/out and trig in/out for everything a system of individual modules would have) and would cost about $7000 if you were to buy its functionality in Cwejman modules. Plus it gives you everything you need to have any other module to be useful. Want something to exercise your trigger generators and logic modules on? Got it. Want something to run 3 independent sequences from your PP into? Got it. Want LFOs with retrig to keep modulating an external filter in sync with your note triggers? Got it. MIDI to CV converter? Got it. Tons of waveforms, each Osc independently CV controlled, with individual outputs.... I could go on and on. Absolutely love mine.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To an extent, I have to agree with Ozy's point.. If you want classic analog sounds in a modular enviroment - simplest is to get a classic modular, or a currently made one, but with accurate sonic soundprint. Mos-lab is one of the rare ones imo.

Euro can do it to an extent, with some NOS modules, but in the end, i think trying for accurate classic east coast sound of yesteryear (moog, arp, roland, korg etc) as a system, is a humongous waste of time wth questionable sonic results. Too many variables. most of the advertised clones still sound different in comparison with the originals if you want that exact vibe. dont be woved by vintage styled front panels .. just use your ears first. (of course, if accuracy is not important, some of these modules sounds phenomenal as they are, so ymmv).

Instead if emulating paat, what appeals much more to me in euro, is classic west coast modules of buchla functionality, fm/waveshaping variety, and NEW , fresh and exciting things like digital modules, complex cv modulation sources, effects, sequencers, marriages of some old (vactrol) and new (dsp) tech etc.

Otoh, euro is great cost effective way for adding utilites like attenuators, cv mixers and cv sources to expand classic modular, like 100m,with much needed functionality. Why restrict yourself to one or another. For example, i combine euro with my old System 100 and SEM. and its transporting these two oldies to new pastures..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny ➑️
That sounds f*cking rippin homie. That wholesome analog sound just makes the heart smile.
That video made me buy Seb's modules. It's exactly the sound I was looking for for ages.

This is all from my modular, almost entirely from the MOS-LAB 921 oscillators and his LP filter, multi-tracked. Strings are played one note at a time, multi-tracked.

http://soundcloud.com/psychlist1972/rail

Seb's modules are the best on the market if you want that old Moog modular sound. Be sure to get a good oscillator mixer. Either get his, or the STG mixer (what I use). The key is the mixer can overdrive the filter.

I'm hoping to pick up a 901-based voice as well. His stuff is just *that* good.

If you want to hear just how huge his stuff sounds in the raw, listen to the first couple minutes of this. (or listen to first 30 seconds then skip to 2:34. Playing is terrible, but those modules are just fantastic. No effects that I recall.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
To an extent, I have to agree with Ozy's point.. If you want classic analog sounds in a modular enviroment - simplest is to get a classic modular, or a currently made one, but with accurate sonic soundprint. Mos-lab is one of the rare ones imo.

Euro can do it to an extent, with some NOS modules, but in the end, i think trying for accurate classic east coast sound of yesteryear (moog, arp, roland, korg etc) as a system, is a humongous waste of time wth questionable sonic results. Too many variables. most of the advertised clones still sound different in comparison with the originals if you want that exact vibe. dont be woved by vintage styled front panels .. just use your ears first. (of course, if accuracy is not important, some of these modules sounds phenomenal as they are, so ymmv).

Instead if emulating paat, what appeals much more to me in euro, is classic west coast modules of buchla functionality, fm/waveshaping variety, and NEW , fresh and exciting things like digital modules, complex cv modulation sources, effects, sequencers, marriages of some old (vactrol) and new (dsp) tech etc.

Otoh, euro is great cost effective way for adding utilites like attenuators, cv mixers and cv sources to expand classic modular, like 100m,with much needed functionality. Why restrict yourself to one or another. For example, i combine euro with my old System 100 and SEM. and its transporting these two oldies to new pastures..
There are more manufacturers every day making classic Euro clones, wholesale system clones that are considered very good, there's a brand new module maker producing model d clones and a thriving DIY scene filling in a lot of the blanks. Not very good or up to date advice, classic East Coast sounds have a ton of great options in Euro. What's weird is that you say "instead of emulating the past..." and then finish the thought by stating your desire to emulate classic west coast sounds.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Synthesizers.com System 22

System 22
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
That video made me buy Seb's modules. It's exactly the sound I was looking for for ages.

This is all from my modular, almost entirely from the MOS-LAB 921 oscillators and his LP filter, multi-tracked. Strings are played one note at a time, multi-tracked.

http://soundcloud.com/psychlist1972/rail

Seb's modules are the best on the market if you want that old Moog modular sound. Be sure to get a good oscillator mixer. Either get his, or the STG mixer (what I use). The key is the mixer can overdrive the filter.

I'm hoping to pick up a 901-based voice as well. His stuff is just *that* good.

If you want to hear just how huge his stuff sounds in the raw, listen to the first couple minutes of this. (or listen to first 30 seconds then skip to 2:34. Playing is terrible, but those modules are just fantastic. No effects that I recall.

Pete
Holy sh*t. I love synthesizers.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna ➑️
What's weird is that you say "instead of emulating the past..." and then finish the thought by stating your desire to emulate classic west coast sounds.
p

Its not weird if you take into account the context of OP.. and synths he wants to have in modular form.. i can see how i worded it that it might be vague, but with "past" i was reffering to sound that 99% of the synth population first thinks of as vintage, i.e. east coast type subtractive synths that made famous records to the left and to the right in past 40 yrs.

cant think of buchla in same manner, as if his modules and his tech were a household name and present or "done" in pop and electronic culture as much. They werent, not even one promile of it. Aside from small handful of ppl , composers in contemporary circles in 60/70s , most folks didn't have access to it. So, for most it is de facto new, and less charted territory even today. Recent euro explosion with make noise and similar modules took it to wider audience. It offers many posibilites, and is built and expanded upon constantly as concept allows for that easily. I find that fresh yes. Second, the authentic tone there isnt as important, or not to me. thats why i only reffered to "functionality", because it is not as charater defined as east coast oldies.

I am aware if AJH, i posted the first info about it on GS, but i'm not convinced yet. First demos sounded great, yet not like any minimoog i know. we'll see... more demos are promised soon..
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear
FWIW - Keep in mind the type of modular sound you want as you select your modules.

There are two basic schools of modular design - the East Coast and West Coast. The East Coast sound is somewhat traditional. It is the DNA of companies like Moog and Arp and tends to be more musical - think Switched on Bach. The West Coast sound is typical of Buchla and tends to be a lot more experimental, glitchy and sonic as opposed to the East Coast - think Subotnick's Silver Apples of the Moon. The reason this is important is that designers typically will factor this preference into their design and make modules that are more precise and clean if they prefer East Coast, or more distorted and [sometimes] intentionally imprecise if they prefer West Coast. I find manufacturers like Intellijel, Doepfer, Tiptop, Macbeth fall into the East Coast approach while ones like MakeNoise, WMD, The Harvestman and ADDAC make no apologies for their Buchla-inspired heritage. Some, like Malekko, seem to have a foot in both camps.

Given the selection of modules you mentioned, you probably are thinking about the East Coast sound when you look at modules. You might want to add a function generator like a Maths or a wavetable VCO like a Gamma Wave Source, or an effect like Phonogene to add some more flavor to your sound. To me, the most interesting aspect of modular synths is the ability to customize the mix of oscillators, amplifiers, envelope/function generators, mixers, controllers, effects etc. to create your own instrument and/or signal processor.

Have fun and spend wisely!
πŸ“ Reply