Quantcast
Best way to keep synth/turntables/vinyl safe on their way to Hawaii? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best way to keep synth/turntables/vinyl safe on their way to Hawaii?
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Best way to keep synth/turntables/vinyl safe on their way to Hawaii?

Good evening!

My husband recently got orders to Hawaii, and they are packing/shipping our belongings via boat to the islands. This takes about 1.5-2 months to reach us at our new destination we hear.

We decided he's going to bring his Les Paul Custom on the plane with us, but our collection of records, two Tech 12s, Orange amps and Moog synths are going to have to go separately.

Specifically:
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange Rockerverb 50
Technics 1200 MKII
Technics 1210 M5G
Moog Slim Phatty
Moog Little Phatty
Moog Minitaur
Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer

and about four milk crates worth of vinyl.

Can anyone recommend packing methods or humidifiers (since I assume they wont be in a climate controlled room) or give any type of advice/insight? Our contacts over there just tell us that they'll be covered by insurance if they break, but they're not really. It's just a very small amount they could reimburse, not even close to what they're worth.

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th September 2012

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
when I ship something through the post I use the "box inside a box" method.
the sensitive equipment is safe from sharp objects deep inside, it can't move since it's fixed with packing material, and there's a "buffer zone" to absorb shocks. a plastic bag around the machine helps against moisture. you could put in a few bags of silica gel. make sure the knobs on the front have some protection and the gear can't bump inside the box.

you could crate the whole stuff, that's the way to send big mixers or tape machines. they build a crate out of wood, and fill this with packing material and the machines. Again, the machines should not be allowed to move. You then can send the crate with a pallet. (this will save you cost, two pallets is usually less $$ than one big thing. I think it's a good idea to have some expert/handy person help you with this.

Insuring the stuff yourself is a good idea. Usually that's not too expensive, if you do it with the shipping company, or maybe you know someone else. Make photo's and keep a list of serial numbers, of the gear before packing, and what's in what box exactly. (you'll need that for the shipping manifest anyway) To avoid BS later of insurance companies paying the day-value instead of replacement-value, you can have your gear valued for insurance.

Recordplayers are another thing. heavy yet fragile. Try find the original Technics boxes. If not possible, invest in a bunch of standard flightcases for these. I'm sure you can find plenty secondhand. (craigslist, ebay) if that's not possible, take the arm off and pack pieces seperately.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Best is original packing. Most of the items are either produced anywhere, and/or are shipped oversea all over the world. In both cases, goods may end up on a boat.

I did relocate across continents/oceans a couple of times. The most damage was caused by the people of my moving company, packing the stuff that I was not able to do myself.

I did ship some my guitars in their guitar case, others in a huge road case, that I made for cables. The cables I packed into regular shipping boxes. For the more expensive synths like the Wave, I made a custom road case. I did wrap the synth in saran wrap to keep the salty moisture out.

If you have these little bags that prevent moisture in a box, keep them and reuse them. If you use saran on some items, put the bags inside the wrap. Wrapping also keeps existing moisture inside, which is a bit counter productive.

As for smaller synths, bubble wrap them. Use bubble wrap with as big bubbles as possible. The 1/4" bubbles are no good. At least 1" diameter or bigger. Pack each synth into a suitable packing box. Make sure that the synth does not move in the box, and stays in the center. The "popcorn" flakes will not do that.

I did double box my smaller items. Depending on their size, I put several of the bubble wrapped and boxed synths, into on bigger shipping box.

And yes, do a carry-on the most important guitar.

Good luck!

Edit: One more thing. I would be worry more about the boat rocking back and forward on the ocean, that about moisture. You pack, that package is in another box, which ends up in a container. At the end you have so many layers around your item, the moisture is of a lesser concern.
๐Ÿ“ Reply