Quantcast
alesis 3630 compressor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
alesis 3630 compressor
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
alesis 3630 compressor

i just found an alesis 3630 compressor for $99 bucks and im in the market for a compressor for sidechaining. can anyone that owns one (or two) give me the pros and cons?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i think this has been discussed to death in other threads to be honest. either way, for $99 you can probably get something much better as that isn't particularly cheap for a 3630. i don't go overboard with compression but i can recommend a dbx 166 (original one). might set you back about $150 if you're lucky/patient. they work very well on bass imo and have sidechaining inputs. depends what you want it for i suppose.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarekroh ➑️
i just found an alesis 3630 compressor for $99 bucks and im in the market for a compressor for sidechaining. can anyone that owns one (or two) give me the pros and cons?
You could get one new for that price.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➑️
You could get one new for that price.
it is new :p
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➑️
i think this has been discussed to death in other threads to be honest. either way, for $99 you can probably get something much better as that isn't particularly cheap for a 3630. i don't go overboard with compression but i can recommend a dbx 166 (original one). might set you back about $150 if you're lucky/patient. they work very well on bass imo and have sidechaining inputs. depends what you want it for i suppose.
i was actually looking at a dbx quad compressor limiter. i forgot the model but its about $425 looked real nice
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the 3630 is very nice for sidechain pumping , which it does quite smoothly and almost musically

everything else it sucks at though
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It really does mash up the sound but sometimes that's a good thing isn't it.
Not for anything pristine but certainly has some use.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't pay more than 30 quid
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky ➑️
the 3630 is very nice for sidechain pumping , which it does quite smoothly and almost musically
Who still does side chain pumping?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
^ you're so cool! :P

Op: Nothing wrong with a little side-chaining of course. I have a 3630 I use only for this purpose and it does it quite nicely and musical, IMO. I think I paid $60 for a used one in great condition. For normal compression I would get something else.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➑️
Who still does side chain pumping?
i dO, alL thE tiMe
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
well i want to do sidechain pumping as well as compression.. what about a dbx 166xs dual channel compressor?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
well i want to do sidechain pumping as well as compression.. what about a dbx 166xs dual channel compressor?
Wouldn't pay more than 40 quid
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
you wouldnt pay more than 40 squids for what? the alesis or dbx?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah but do you want to be able to do both at the same time? If so I'd get the the 3630 and another compressor for the normal compression.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chembros ➑️
Yeah but do you want to be able to do both at the same time? If so I'd get the the 3630 and another compressor for the normal compression.
Que? You set the compressor in the dbx to respond to the side chain signal

OP if you were UK based I'd let you have both for $100/Β£65 but you're not so why not try downloading the manuals for both as you can properly compare features... Only feature that differs afaik is the peakstop on the dbx
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
you wouldnt pay more than 40 squids for what? the alesis or dbx?
30 for an alesis
40 for the dbx as its only a little better..

My advice is either look for a cheap symetrix or save and get a decent dbx or an fmr...
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Doh! Thought you said the 166xl...ignore my last
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The 3630 from the 90's has been known to provide a specific (montmarte) sound, and has been used by french house music legends, including daft punk. Although criticized by many for muddying sound, obviously it still has potential to develop masterpieces. For 100 bucks, I don't think you can go wrong. The older the better I'd say too. For a good overall comp, DBX is the way to go.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadridKid ➑️
The 3630 from the 90's has been known to provide a specific (montmarte) sound, and has been used by french house music legends, including daft punk. Although criticized by many for muddying sound, obviously it still has potential to develop masterpieces. For 100 bucks, I don't think you can go wrong. The older the better I'd say too. For a good overall comp, DBX is the way to go.
I know people on here seem to rave about the DBX 160x, which was out of my price range. I got the original USA-made 166 and I think it's great. It's two-channel, all my bass tracks get put through it and the inclusion of limiters, gates and sidechain just makes it all the more appealing.

OP - the newer DBX ones are supposedly a bit rubbish. The old 160/166 are the way to go if you're looking into them.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
can anyone that owns one (or two) give me the pros and cons?
Pro: Really pretty LED's that look cool and high tech in a 90s kind of way.

If you want to sound like a home studio from the 90's, and could not afford to spend a little extra for the Berhenger that sounded like a home studio around 2001, and didn't use a computer or know what VST stands for.

Sidechain...pump hard and like it.

Con: Obvious artifacts without pushing hard.

Personally I would never pay that price or anything close to that price.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't even blow my nose into this box. heh

Seriously though, just get it second hand instead. I bet you'll like it more than all the opinions make you think possible, but to buy it for half that price second hand makes sure you will feel it was well worth it. It's dirty, but it does have a good little bounce to it. Might have to buy one myself to remind myself what that filthy bounce does.....
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You can get a good cheap bounce from Composers and Autocoms as well. In fact they tend to be a little less clicky than the Alesis, and go for Β£30 odd from ebay. Dont like it? - sell it back for same amount and you rent it for free - same for any of these cheapies bought second hand.

Before anyone starts crying about putting these things on mixes, it is for a certain sound, that is actually quite nice - if you know what you are doing.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
i like dirty, gritty, and SOME artifacts can make music more interesting
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just sold my last 1, wasn't for me. A friend still uses a full bank of them. Mainly for sidechaininig and on 909 kicks, boost that transient. Great because the attack time stinks. I never tried them on sidechaining but he seems to get it to sound musical and not so noticable.

We have 2 266xl, the dbx equilavent (price wise), couldn't say if they are actually any better.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I remember not liking the 3630 when I owned it as my first hardware comp (it was a step up from the original soundforge compressor), but I guess I wasn't very experienced at using compression back then and didn't use it for ducking very much. The limiter on the 3630 could be useful, at least it has that. It sounded "blocky" somehow, lacking subtlety or blotting out subtle dynamics, and the controls didn't seem to behave in a satisfying way, or how I hoped a comp would behave, and I couldn't hear an interesting "knee" amplitude change curve when the compressor kicks in, in a percussive context if that makes sense; also it had the potential to degrade the tone a bit. The Behringer Composer seemed to be somewhat better in most respects but still a bit dull in the high frequencies. Anyway the FMR RNC was a big step up in that price range IMO, worth the slight additional expense and 1/2 the size. It sounded more clear and had at least a shade of professional character with smoother dynamics, and a pleasing knee sound on percussion to give it a good thwack, ducking is pretty agile in the non-super mode.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha ➑️

We have 2 266xl, the dbx equilavent (price wise), couldn't say if they are actually any better.
To me they're worse, more plastic. Thew Alesis is more solid, although smeary. More balls though.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
To me they're worse, more plastic. Thew Alesis is more solid, although smeary. More balls though.
Hmmm yeah thats it...

Seriously if your looking cheap go symetrix

If you want quality cheap go fmr

If you want quality with less options go old dbx

I guess you can prob work out what i use :D
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The general word here is that 3630's are worthless boxes. But I have used one back in the day quite a bit for tracking everything from RnB female vox to bass, drums, guitars, etc. The reality is, it's actually a pretty clean, subtle comp if used lightly. Nothing special. The problems with it come from it having very little headroom and the gate. When signal is pushed hard through it, compressed beyond 4.1 at a few db or the gate is used it goes to hell. That said, there are a ton of free VST plugs that sound better and can do sidechaining.

The DBX 166 is in another class for a rock comp. I have and use the 166 all the time. Slightly modded of course.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant ➑️
The DBX 166 is in another class for a rock comp. I have and use the 166 all the time. Slightly modded of course.
What mod would that be? I'm intrigued.
Is yours the USA or Chinese version?
πŸ“ Reply