MKS-70 chorus making a click sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MKS-70 chorus making a click sound
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
MKS-70 chorus making a click sound

Hey guys,

I bought an MKS-70 off ebay and overall its in decent shape.... I noticed that when it was fully warm (8 hours of warm-up) there was a slight thudding sound... sure enough when I opened her up the caps in the PSU had popped their plastic lids off.... So, I did some minor surgery and recapped the whole PSU board (with nichicon caps)

the thudding went away, but now once its fully warm, I can hear a faint clicking sound only when the chorus is turned on, and when set to the faster chorus the clicking speed is faster also....

SO, I believe I need to recap a bit more, perhaps in the chorus section of the board(s) ... I don't see where that is at first glance, just wondering if anybody here can point me to the spot where I need to recap!!!

Thanks in advance for your kindness! BTW, I love this synth!!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nsf โžก๏ธ
the thudding went away, but now once its fully warm, I can hear a faint clicking sound only when the chorus is turned on, and when set to the faster chorus the clicking speed is faster also....

SO, I believe I need to recap a bit more, perhaps in the chorus section of the board(s) ... I don't see where that is at first glance, just wondering if anybody here can point me to the spot where I need to recap!!!
A simple recap will not likely fix this.
The problem is probably the bucket brigade chip in the chorus circuit. Rare chips, will probably have to source from a parts JX3p/10 or mks70. Take it to someone who regularly does roland repairs and might have the parts.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
But the chorus sounds fine for 7 hours before it finally reaches that click state on the 8th hour.... that is very cap-like behavior, isn't it?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nsf โžก๏ธ
But the chorus sounds fine for 7 hours before it finally reaches that click state on the 8th hour.... that is very cap-like behavior, isn't it?
The BBD chip is a bunch of capacitors on a chip. Make of that what you will. The chorus in the mks-50 very often has a similar issue, and ~95% of the time it requires replacing the BBD chip (or just living with the clicks). OTOH I don't know of the mks-70 commonly having this issue, but it would be my 1st guess.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I have those BBDs in stock if you need one...
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks guys!
๐Ÿ“ Reply