SH-101 alternative - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SH-101 alternative
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
SH-101 alternative

Hey Everyone,
Recently, I've become intrigued by the SH-101. I really like the subtle, warm sounding leads and bass made with it (Not as much the acid stuff), and I'm looking for something similar. Preferably analog, and preferably <= The price of the 101. I'll be using it along with my A6. I understand there's the MC 202, but I'd like to avoid it because recently they're rather expensive on ebay, and the whole keyboard/ noise source/ etc. deal makes the 101 more appealing to me.

Is it the IR3109 that makes the 101 so unique, or a mix between that and the curtis VCO?

Thanks
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What about a Shruthi-1? I own both and the shruthi can go beyond the 101's capabilities, but yea the 101 is great too specially when linked to a boss dr110 ! I also agree the noise is very important and it sounds very good as a modulation source.

Nebs
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm considering the shruthi, but they've discontinued the IR3109 filterboards. I'm really looking for something perhaps with a keyboard that is fully analog, but I'm aware of the shruthi's potential. I would just buy the SH-101, but it's a hefty price for a gorgeous albeit limited instrument.

Does the minibrute compare at all? (Not referring to the minibrute's nasty sounds; in terms of softer ones.)
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i think the roland Sh09 sounds better than the 101.
cheaper too.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The SH09 is definately an underated gem - different though - but a mighty sound for a single VCO. Its just not as 'tight' and 'snappy'. I guess its the end of the previous generation, i.e the 'SH' series -

Just the raw OSC buzzing puts anything to shame though.
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was thinking of getting an SH101 too at one point and got a minibrute
instead. The minibrute is great, I recommend it, and its half the price of
an SH101.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i bloody love my 101.
that is all.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
i think the roland Sh09 sounds better than the 101.
cheaper too.
Looks good, but how much of a pain are they when needing service? I've just had my andy sitting in the shop for three months (Keyboard doesn't send not on/ off), all just waiting for a part which hasn't turned up . I was upset to say the least, and would rather not experience it again :/
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you might just wait a while longer for the d16 lush-101 vst.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➑️
you might just wait a while longer for the d16 lush-101 vst.
That and maybe cwejman... As far as i can hear the cwejman sound is closest to the Roland sound in a new instrument... You would have to go euro rack though and cwejman is pricey. There is also another synth that slips my mind at the moment that will be released soon I think from a european company... Sorry that doesn't help much
But it's billed as a Roland sound alike "bass synth" and it has a sequencer on it as well.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 ➑️
That and maybe cwejman... As far as i can hear the cwejman sound is closest to the Roland sound in a new instrument... You would have to go euro rack though and cwejman is pricey. There is also another synth that slips my mind at the moment that will be released soon I think from a european company... Sorry that doesn't help much
But it's billed as a Roland sound alike "bass synth" and it has a sequencer on it as well.
It's the eowave magma (after a quick google search)

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralZhao ➑️
Looks good, but how much of a pain are they when needing service? I've just had my andy sitting in the shop for three months (Keyboard doesn't send not on/ off), all just waiting for a part which hasn't turned up . I was upset to say the least, and would rather not experience it again :/
i've had mine since 1996, nothing has ever gone wrong with it over that time, probably nothing has have gone wrong with it since it was built. SH101's are a little less reliable IMO
Old 20th September 2012

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralZhao ➑️
Hey Everyone,
Recently, I've become intrigued by the SH-101. I really like the subtle, warm sounding leads and bass made with it (Not as much the acid stuff), and I'm looking for something similar.
Currently at the market, there is no replacement or even something similar to SH-101 . Nothing touches its unique electronic sound. It's one of those synths you can't stop playing once you start - brain just becomes addicted. Incredible machine...

If you want that sound i highly recommend you save the money and purchase it. You can always resell it later and even earn some.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the SH101 is overrated, but it indeed sounds great.
The tone is just phenomenal, despite you have limited capabilities due to its simple synth-structure.

But if you want a good suggestion for vintage tone without spending a lot, grab an old Yamaha CS synth.
They are still really cheap for what they can do, at least when you compare it with other synths, like the SH101.
I think it's just insane that the SH101 is likely worth more than the CS15 on ebay, as the CS15 is a really great synth, with a huge amount of extra possibilities.
Not the same tone for sure, but sounds great too
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I had 2 SH-101 cos I'm greedy Definitely a very unique instrument in form factor, features and sound. Anyone who wants (or thinks they want) a 101 should just get... a 101.

I also think it is over-rated (price wise) but not for the fun/inspiration it can give. It's a shame they are so expensive which put them out of reach of a lot of people who could do great stuff with them. I wouldn't buy another for the current going prices personally but if I could get a nice condition one for ~Β£200 I'd get another. (No chance of that happening).

The last one I sold had mod grip, box, manual and was in VGC - sold it for Β£550 (paid Β£400) - I think even now, just over a year later you could sell that for Β£650 judging by how quickly prices have risen. And then it's definitely over-rated, depending on your absolute need for it. I preferred my polysix as a better all round analog but apples to oranges there I guess.

The thing with the 101 is it's the entire product that is desirable, not just it's sound vs a CS (for ex) or it's features vs a higher specced machine. It is that name, that logo, that sound, in that casing at that size, with those features that make it ultra desirable and that is why many people don't think twice about paying Β£100-Β£300 more than they genuinely believe it's 'worth'. Sometimes you gotta scratch that itch aint ya?

I'm glad I owned them but they didn't change my world, for my music I actually can use the SY77 portamento leads for much of what I was using the 101 for, not as cool or authentic obviously but in the mix it sounds good. I'd advise it is more worthwhile if you will be doing plenty of ARP/SEQ sync blippy bloops slidy slippy stuff + bass + leads, if only one of those then for the money you could get something more suited to your needs.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This may be a shameful admission, but I bought an SH-2 a couple of years after I'd got an SH-101 because of all the positive reviews, and...I use the 101 quite a bit more often than the 2. There's something about it...it's not necessarily "fat" (which may be the most overrated and least desirable single quality in a synth), but it is as juicy as hell. I've never heard another synth that's as juicy.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild ➑️
I've never heard another synth that's as juicy.
Same here. Especially true of the blue one -- it's the wettest.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm probably reiterating what's already been said... but...
If you like the 101 just buy a 101. Their value has increased over the last 5 or 10 years so unless Roland releases the 101 exact reissue (who knows??) their value probably won't tank anytime. Plus they have a certain cult status like the 303 that extends beyond us synth lovers. (See Squarepusher, Shpongle, Boards of Canada and the list goes on..)

Maybe try craigslist so you can go and have a look and a test before you part with your money.
Good luck with your choice!
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Based on what I've heard via YouTube and soundcloud... Cwejman comes really close to that sound. Albeit not the wooly sound the 101 has but the precision and tone is right there. I've read somewhere on the net that (one persons opinion anyway..) that cwejman sounds like a "what if" Roland continued making analog mono synths and perfected their sound. I would tend to agree with that.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
In short, if your not hung up on the name, I think any of the cwejman modules would give you that sound your looking for. The VM-1 is $700 I think. You would need a eurorack case though.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
whats funny is that Roland could remanufacture the TB303, TR808 and Sh-101 , Juno 106 and sell a ****load but they wont

Vintage Synthesizers | Roland SH-101 - YouTube
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude163 ➑️
whats funny is that Roland could remanufacture the TB303, TR808 and Sh-101 , Juno 106 and sell a ****load but they wont
They can't unfortunately. The parts that go into them pretty much don't exist to make them in any significant quantity. That kind of technology is over 20 years old now. The alternative is to either go digital, or use alternative parts, which would be expensive and still not sound the same anyway. On top of that, I don't think they would sell in the kind of numbers that Roland are chasing these days.
Hence smaller companies like Acidlab and Jomox (and perhaps the DIY scene) taking up most of the slack.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
All they have to do * cough* is buy up every boss Super Phaser 2 pedal and get the 2 IR3109s from them :P

Its too bad they cant remake them though , like a 30th anniversary edition or something.

For now Ill stick to my shruthi-1 SMR . I just ordered a Polivoks one and the new Yellow Magic thathas a filter like a MS-20!
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For what it's worth, I had a 101 for years and recently replaced it with the minibrute. I do mostly warm lead sounds and non acidy bass stuff. I prefer the minibrute. What don Solaris said about the 101 I never had with the 101, but I totally do with the minibrute. It has more range. Not quite as huge a bass sound, but adequately big and sits in a track great. I love it.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor ➑️
They can't unfortunately. The parts that go into them pretty much don't exist to make them in any significant quantity. That kind of technology is over 20 years old now. The alternative is to either go digital, or use alternative parts, which would be expensive and still not sound the same anyway. On top of that, I don't think they would sell in the kind of numbers that Roland are chasing these days.
Hence smaller companies like Acidlab and Jomox (and perhaps the DIY scene) taking up most of the slack.
they'd never do it anywayβ€”they won't even make an analog synth, despite the fact that everyone wants exactly that. all they have to do is browse ebay for roland gear that's sold for the highest amounts to see it's strictly their old analogs that are in demand.
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Unfortunately, you all just multiplied my lust for the 101 tenfold. Sucks to be a slut...
I guess I know where my money is going now :(
Bittersweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintagon ➑️
(See Squarepusher, Shpongle, Boards of Canada and the list goes on..)

Maybe try craigslist so you can go and have a look and a test before you part with your money.
That's what I'm going for, and unfortunately CL around here is weak. The only decent synths I've ever seen within about a 100 mile radius are overpriced junos and a monopoly (out of my price range sadly).

Time to sell some stuff...
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used to own an SH 101...sold it when they became worth money, never really got into it. But the Future Retro 777 did that thing, and a lot more...but costs more too...and I sold that one too when it doubled in value.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I used to have a SH-101 and a Micromoog and thought that there was some overlap. Kept the Micromoog despite the lack of a sequencer. The 101 envelope is slightly better too. However, the Moog is much more versatile and has a better resonance IMHO.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To be honest, the closest you'll probably get is with the DSI Mopho. A/B'd mine with the 101 a while ago, and the sounds are actually pretty similar. Even the square wave was close. What about the 101 in general interest you? From a player point of view, you're probably better off with a Mopho, Minibrute or a newer Moog. While the 101 sounds great, it's real appeal are the sequencer and arp.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I sold Micromoog and SH-2, got the 101, kept it. Best sounding affordable monosynth there is IMO.
πŸ“ Reply