SH-101 alternative - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SH-101 alternative
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
To be honest, the closest you'll probably get is with the DSI Mopho. A/B'd mine with the 101 a while ago, and the sounds are actually pretty similar. Even the square wave was close. What about the 101 in general interest you? From a player point of view, you're probably better off with a Mopho, Minibrute or a newer Moog. While the 101 sounds great, it's real appeal are the sequencer and arp.
I've only used the Mopho 4x and Little Phatty and heard lot's of examples of Voyager and Minibrute, and to my ears non of these compare to the dynamic clarity, punch and huge sweetspot of the 101.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
I've only used the Mopho 4x and Little Phatty and heard lot's of examples of Voyager and Minibrute, and to my ears non of these compare to the dynamic clarity, punch and huge sweetspot of the 101.
I have played with sh-101 and found it sterile, not better than a SID chip. Little Phatty and Mopho are much more advanced instruments with a better tone IMO.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What about the 101 in general interest you? From a player point of view, you're probably better off with a Mopho, Minibrute or a newer Moog. While the 101 sounds great, it's real appeal are the sequencer and arp.
It's the sounds that I hear from the SH-101 that impress me. And although I have a pretty good amount of theory down, I don't have great keyboard technique so I don't consider myself a huge player. I'm all about the arp/ sequencer on it. 100 steps is pretty solid!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
I have played with sh-101 and found it sterile, not better than a SID chip. Little Phatty and Mopho are much more advanced instruments with a better tone IMO.
Wow, it's hard to believe perceptions can be that different.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I sold Micromoog and SH-2, got the 101, kept it. Best sounding affordable monosynth there is IMO.
Considering some of the prices I've seen, wouldn't call it exactly affordable...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui ➑️
Considering some of the prices I've seen, wouldn't call it exactly affordable...
Compared to the best sounding monosynth, the original Minimoog, it's cheap. ;-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Don't get me wrong...I love SID chip bass (my example). I prefer Mopho and LP though.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
+1 to put it mildly
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
SH-101 is more versatile than many people think... The sub osc is awesome.

http://bit.ly/NGsniD - me just playing around
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
For the "full package" experience, there really is no alternative to the 101.

Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Care to point me in the direction of said SID?
I jest.

Anybody know of a good spot besides eBay to look for this unit? The ones on there are either way too expensive, or not up to par function-wise.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
where are you in the world?
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Central Florida, USA

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
We have the whole thread with SH-101 audio examples.

https://gearspace.com/board/electron...aser-here.html
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
there is a reason why it was is still is so widely used. gorgeous, gorgeous tone, easy to use, an amazing step sequencer and built like an absolute tank.

just get one.
i adore mine. would never ever sell it.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the SID chip was the built-in synth on the old commodore 64. the plogue chipsounds vst emulates it (along with a bunch of other old game sound chips).

it doesn't sound anything like an sh101, but does have one of the most distinctive and recognizable sounds.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol ➑️
built like an absolute tank.
plastic. a plastic tank. probably not the most appropriate overused generic synth accolade to use for the 101. if you ever decide to go into politics you should probably stay away from the defence ministry.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i went to that 101/202 thread. some nice stuff there... Don.. fantastic track. i think as far as demoing where 101 excells, in simple, basic form, this demo by our friend JEBEQ is quite a good example:

wheew, wasn't aware SID can sound this good..

me feels SH101 doing sequences together with SH-2 and/or TB-303 is .. pure sex

advice to the OP: want 101 sound?...its tone makes you happy?.. buy 101. nothing else will do, and its gonna get much more expensive like everything else that was used so much on countless great albums. whether we like it or not. sometimes hype and legendary status can be misleading, but ime not in this case.

it is made of plastic, but if you get a nice, unabused specimen.. nothing to worry.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Although the 101 is unanimously awesome it must be clear that there is no tank materials in the body of the 101 nor is there a resemblance to a tank in any way.

In all seriousness for a 30 year old synth mine has held up great, only has a few nicks here or there and works from when I power it up until I turn it off.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That one must have been broken. The 101 is FAR from sterile.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That one must have been broken. The 101 is FAR from sterile.
indeed.
it's also the most fun synth i own. always manages to surprise me despite its simplicity. i think that counts for a lot.
sounds amazing dry or with loads of effects or distortion.

i perhaps was one of those who "over-paid" for mine. it was Β£550 6 months ago but it's in near mint conditon, and came with original strap/mod grip/psu and a custom-built case for it to live. i regret it not a bit
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've a SH101, ms20, SE-1 and a SId station.
The Sh101 get's by far the most use...say 90% , ms20 10%, Sid 0%...sold the SE-1..

It's the combination of a great tone and simple control that makes you come up with the best stuff...really an inspiring synth.

Just wait for one to come along a t a reasonable price and buy it.
If you don't like it you can always sell it for the same price...(or more )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
We have the whole thread with SH-101 audio examples.

https://gearspace.com/board/electron...aser-here.html

I don't have a one-oh-one but from that thread it's clearly got a very distinctive sound. I'd be nice to have but I wouldn't pay the current prices.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I paid $700 for mine about a year ago. I thought that it was expensive but the sheer happiness it has given me is worth every hard earned penny.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I recently heard a demo of der oto (biscuit synth) and although it's a digital synth I thought it had quite a sh101 like quality to it (could be the filter and sequencer??).
At the beginning of this demo DER OTO - YouTube

Maybe I'm totally off there

Also the not yet out Eowave Magma looks nice.
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The SH101 is one of the best monosynth beside the moog familly. Most people think that is only an acid machine with blubber or 303ish sounds, but it offers also some very nice guitar bass sounds with its PWM ability and subosc.
I often use it for such smooth fender bass sounds (no slap of course - heh). For that I compress it with an DBX-160A or with some tube plugs like Ampeg SVX. Sounds awsome to me though I use the NI Pre-bass for such sounds in the last time.

And its sequencer and arpeggio sounds are a must for trance and dance tracks. Just add a little compressor and stereo- or ping pong delay and it sits perfect in a mix.

Sudad G
πŸ“ Reply