Quantcast
Roland JD-800 repair - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JD-800 repair
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Roland JD-800 repair

I'm considering purchasing used Roland JD-800 but I would have to fix it.

He tried to fix one of keys acting strangely but instead of fixing he damaged conductors connecting keyboard with electronics so complete keybed went off.

Is this serious failure? And can someone suggest how much it would cost me roughly?
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wladymeer ➑️
I'm considering purchasing used Roland JD-800 but I would have to fix it.

He tried to fix one of keys acting strangely but instead of fixing he damaged conductors connecting keyboard with electronics so complete keybed went off.

Is this serious failure? And can someone suggest how much it would cost me roughly?
If you are talking about the ribbon connecting the keyboard to the main motherboard (in pics), I would think it would be quite a cheap part to replace. Whether its still available is another thing.

Old 20th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks, will ask seller and return when I get more info.
Old 22nd May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
As I promised here's info from seller - it may occur that I will translate some terms wrong as I am not very fond of things electronic:

Before mail I will explain what caused whole problem: One of keys started to act strangely so he tried to fix it on his own but doing so he damaged some conductors so complete keybed went off.

Here comes further explanation:

"I tried to reconnect flat cable from a picture above, I also tried to clear and check keybed rubbers and keys if they are damaged. In other words, I removed every part of keybed that could be separated. And during that process I accidentally damaged contact board with soldering iron where rubbers are located. I don't know if that caused any additional damage as keybed was removed before that.

However, I need to say, 20 days ago red glue that holds metal weighted plates beneath keys started to wear off as well so I decided to remove keybed completely off the case...

The rest of a mail is not important. Any thoughts about damage? He asks for 350€ for this JD-800, though. And does making repair + that price makes this good deal?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As I promised here's info from seller - it may occur that I will translate some terms wrong as I am not very fond of things electronic:

Before mail I will explain what caused whole problem: One of keys started to act strangely so he tried to fix it on his own but doing so he damaged some conductors so complete keybed went off.

"I tried to reconnect flat cable from a picture above, I also tried to clear and check keybed rubbers and keys if they are damaged. In other words, I removed every part of keybed that could be separated. And during that process I accidentally damaged contact board with soldering iron where rubbers are located. I don't know if that caused any additional damage as keybed was removed before that.

However, I need to say, 20 days ago red glue that holds metal weighted plates beneath keys started to wear off as well so I decided to remove keybed completely off the case...

The rest of a mail is not important. Any thoughts about damage? He asks for 350€ for this JD-800, though. And does making repair + that price makes this good deal?
Forget it mate, at that price, you can find a fully functioning one for not much more. If you check my JD800 'walk through' at the start of this thread, you will see what a pita the red glue can be. (and quite time consuming too).

I have no idea why this fella managed to damage the contacts with a soldering iron (unless he dropped it). The rubber domes and whole assembly in that area needs no de-soldering at all.

Theres plenty of good ones out there. (just checked ebay completed items and one sold for Β£320 in fully working condition)

Walk away.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Unfortunately, the problem with my "locating JD-800" is that I live outside of EU and our customs are so tricky that it could easily happen that if they had a bad day I would have to pay customs + VAT as much as that JD-800 heh

This one is possible to bring in without custom check. I guess I could try to lower the price down to, I dunno, 250€, but only if faults are minor. From your words, I think it's doesn't sound like they are.

Anyway, thanks for swift reply and will check that first post!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
heh

Although it's quite hilarious, especially "little bent" part, cosmeticly, nothing seems to be very wrong with this JD and seller is quite aware of what he has and doesn't seem to be as a bad person - have a look:

Old 25th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just came up with an idea but as I don't know much about electronics and DIY projects, I apologize if I asked something silly.

I was thinking of moving highest C key down to be lowest key and those lowest C-E keys up to be highest. Of course, global transpose should be applied as well. I find it very useful for my Akai Miniak and believe that it would provide me more useful keyboard range instead of typical layout.

Does synth allows you to do such modifications? From what I can see based on plain logic it could work but not sure how keybed is connected to main board.
Old 22nd August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

"[I]I tried to reconnect flat cable from a picture above, I also tried to clear and check keybed rubbers and keys if they are damaged. In other words, I removed every part of keybed that could be separated. And during that process I accidentally damaged contact board with soldering iron where rubbers are located. I don't know if that caused any additional damage as keybed was removed before that.

that keybed looks exactly like the keybed in the roland jx-305. maybe you could find a donor?
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi there, I have a problem with my green ribbon (contact board assy). There is a bad contact at the clamp:

Most of my keys don't work. However, when I press that plastic clamp, depending where I press on the clamp, I can play all of my keys. This means the problem doesn't come from the contact rubber.

On the service notes, I can read that "The CIC cable cannot be detached as it is thermally sealed to the contact board". If I order from Roland a new contact board, will it come also with the green ribbon that is between the clamp and the PCB? (i.e. the green ribbon that connects the contact board to the connector board underneath the keyboard). If so, are these 2 green ribbons thermally sealed in factory? Or would I have to thermally seal it myself? (The Roland dealer didn't provide me a clear answer, he just told me he could order the spare part).

Thank you.

Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
If someone has a green ribbon spare part for the keyboard available, or slide potentiometers available, please PM me.
Old 23rd March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Contact Board Assy and Pot.Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa Travellers ➑️
If someone has a green ribbon spare part for the keyboard available, or slide potentiometers available, please PM me.
This "broken Foil" -contact board assy you can repair simple like here down on the pictures.I was just finished this problem.About sliders you can clean also all of them with Isopropyl Alcohol (isopropanol) at first step,you must remove all sliders which is not good and open each one.Later whe you clean all potentiometer's at step 2 you can use Deoxit D5 (example) Faderlube.

Old 26th February 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Sorry to bring back to life an ancient thread, but to anyone having issues with the ribbon connector being disconnected I made a connector to be 3d printed.

You insert solid core wires through the holes to form contacts and then solder wires to the top of the connector and then bolt it on top of the contact strip. If you contacts are fairly intact that is, if not you'll have to apply some silver contact paint or similar first.

It's pretty much like the repair in the post above this one, except it can be removed and requires a bit less mess.

Here's a link.

Roland JD800 (and D70, U20) Contact Strip Connector by gilesjuk - Thingiverse
Old 26th February 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesjuk ➑️
Sorry to bring back to life an ancient thread, but to anyone having issues with the ribbon connector being disconnected I made a connector to be 3d printed.

You insert solid core wires through the holes to form contacts and then solder wires to the top of the connector and then bolt it on top of the contact strip. If you contacts are fairly intact that is, if not you'll have to apply some silver contact paint or similar first.

It's pretty much like the repair in the post above this one, except it can be removed and requires a bit less mess.

Here's a link.

Roland JD800 (and D70, U20) Contact Strip Connector by gilesjuk - Thingiverse
Wow, very cool, thank you!
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I never have found time to try and fix my JD-800; the red glue problem is pretty bad. I'd just want to replace the whole keybed; which is something I haven't found either. Since both of those have restricted fixing it, what are the value of these things with the problem?
Old 7th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos ➑️
I never have found time to try and fix my JD-800; the red glue problem is pretty bad. I'd just want to replace the whole keybed; which is something I haven't found either. Since both of those have restricted fixing it, what are the value of these things with the problem?
If you buy a Roland D5 you can use its keybed. It doesn't have the weights but that's not a biggie. It also doesn't have aftertouch, but you can remove and fit the strip from the JD800, not that the aftertouch is sensitive anyway.

What you will have to do though is adapt the connections from the D5 keyboard ribbon connector so it can connect to the JD800 PCB (the one under the keybed).

What I did (and with a heavy heart) is cut the PCB section with the two connectors out of the D5 PCB and then solder the wires from this PCB section to the bottom of the JD800 PCB. It's fiddly and looks ugly but works.

This page details how they did it, I just didn't fancy cutting up lots of PCB sections like they did.

JD-800 Keybed Repair/title> <meta name="description" content="JD-800 Keybed Repair"> <meta name="keywords" content="JD-800 keybed, JD-800 keybed repair">
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ gilesjuk thanks so much - I will take a look at that!
Old 24th April 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I used your Roland D5 keyboard method to resurrect a dead JD800 keyboard and I'm pleased to report it worked perfectly after a little rewire, I managed to get the low notes at the top of the keyboard and vice versa. But after some fiddling and a quick rewire it was all OK. I moved the aftertouch strip over and secured it with some double sided tape and also moved all the JD800 weighted keys over to the D5 keybed.

A very happy bunny and all for around 25 pounds for a dead D5

Thanks for your useful post another JD800 lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesjuk ➑️
If you buy a Roland D5 you can use its keybed. It doesn't have the weights but that's not a biggie. It also doesn't have aftertouch, but you can remove and fit the strip from the JD800, not that the aftertouch is sensitive anyway.

What you will have to do though is adapt the connections from the D5 keyboard ribbon connector so it can connect to the JD800 PCB (the one under the keybed).

What I did (and with a heavy heart) is cut the PCB section with the two connectors out of the D5 PCB and then solder the wires from this PCB section to the bottom of the JD800 PCB. It's fiddly and looks ugly but works.

This page details how they did it, I just didn't fancy cutting up lots of PCB sections like they did.

JD-800 Keybed Repair/title> <meta name="description" content="JD-800 Keybed Repair"> <meta name="keywords" content="JD-800 keybed, JD-800 keybed repair">
Old 7th May 2018
Here for the gear

I fixed a connector cable to flex keyboard pcb connection on a JD-800 last week and this video I did may help others: YouTube
Old 4th December 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just did a swap with a U-20. It was fairly simple to remove the (much longer and green not blue) ribbon connection where it connects to a PCB on the U-20... Use an Xacto knife to make a precise cut (first carefully remove entire keybed and position it so you can temporarily tape down the ribbon connector to do this right) that separates the 2 traces in the smaller group that are nearest the larger group (also had to cut some of the green plastic between the two groups of connections), and then add those two traces to the larger group to fill the 2 open spots of the large connector on the JD-800 PCB, which are nearest the smaller connector. I did a small amount of trimming to help make it fit best, but tread lightly. Take note of the spacing you need to match and def use a fresh blade. Then I used a little bit of permanent tape in a couple spots to fold up and hold the extra ribbon and to strengthen the joint of the two traces that I cut off with the rest so it all seats together.

Anyway, just thought I'd add that option here for those that choose to buy a working U-20 board for a swap. It wasn't my original idea so credit to whomever I heard it from (hopefully not somewhere else on this thread or I'll look dumb).
πŸ“ Reply