Quantcast
Is my Akai S-2000 still worth it? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is my Akai S-2000 still worth it?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is my Akai S-2000 still worth it?

10 years ago i was handed an S-2000 which I never bothered to use, in favor of soft samplers.Recently i have been going back to my old SP-303 sampler which i also rarely used but for same strange reason it brings a lot of fun these days.So i started thinking about the Akai & that i don't like having gear collecting dust.The downside is that i have none of the upgrades.From what I've seen on eBay it will probably cost less to buy a new sampler than upgrading fully the existing one but i could start spending on one upgrade at a time.What I am asking though is, is it worth it?With today's computer OS & hardware protocols putting those of yesteryear into oblivion, can this still be a valuable, functional sampler, ready to talk to a contemporary Mac or PC?

Thanks to all!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While I think that there is still a place for hardware samplers in a modern studio, the S2000 isn't the one I'd pick (it doesn't even have a waveform display, from what I recall).

I just picked up an Akai Z4 (which is several multiples more powerful than the S2000) on ebay for $200.

So, I'd say that, no, the S2000 isn't worth keeping if you're not already attached to it.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
10 years ago i was handed an S-2000 which I never bothered to use, in favor of soft samplers.Recently i have been going back to my old SP-303 sampler which i also rarely used but for same strange reason it brings a lot of fun these days.So i started thinking about the Akai & that i don't like having gear collecting dust.The downside is that i have none of the upgrades.From what I've seen on eBay it will probably cost less to buy a new sampler than upgrading fully the existing one but i could start spending on one upgrade at a time.What I am asking though is, is it worth it?With today's computer OS & hardware protocols putting those of yesteryear into oblivion, can this still be a valuable, functional sampler, ready to talk to a contemporary Mac or PC?

Thanks to all!
If it works its worth it but if you dont use it then sell it... Good sampler imo
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
If you consider what the S2000 was designed for, then no, it is not worth saving. The S2000 was intended to play instrument sounds and the other AKAI samplers were designed for drum sounds. Should you use an S2000 instead of a software sampler on that same contemporary Mac or PC as you mentioned? It's up to you. As a novelty it could be fun, but as a tool the S2000 will never meet the capabilities of what you can do with a software sampler. Since you are having fun with the SP-303 you might want to hold on to the S2000. Or you could sell them both and upgrade to an SP-555.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sell both and get an E-MU ultra series, i have the E5000 Ultra with an 80gig hard drive and love it to bits, bonus if you find one with the RFX32 effects card!

Nebs
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM NRG ➑️
If you consider what the S2000 was designed for, then no, it is not worth saving. The S2000 was intended to play instrument sounds and the other AKAI samplers were designed for drum sounds. Should you use an S2000 instead of a software sampler on that same contemporary Mac or PC as you mentioned? It's up to you. As a novelty it could be fun, but as a tool the S2000 will never meet the capabilities of what you can do with a software sampler. Since you are having fun with the SP-303 you might want to hold on to the S2000. Or you could sell them both and upgrade to an SP-555.
I believe you are correct on all accounts.I need to make clear though that in no way am i planning to replace the soft sampler with an Akai & the SP.I've always felt that a computer & an interface make for a hardware sampler & i stand by that.Think of it as me asking about a 1999 cell phone.It's a fact that a smartphone is ages ahead, no question there.What I need to know is whether that old cell phone can still get use today, if it can still function in a USABLE manner with all available upgrades and/or abandoned protocols in 2012.Or think of it as a 1975 one-oscillator synth compared to Absynth.The first is limited as hell but if it works & doesn't need repair every few months then it won't stand in your way.It will implement your new top-of-the-crop synths.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NebulaZero ➑️
Sell both and get an E-MU ultra series, i have the E5000 Ultra with an 80gig hard drive and love it to bits, bonus if you find one with the RFX32 effects card!

Nebs
I've heard that the OS is buggy or something of similar anti-quality.Is that true?Always had a soft spot for the Ultras...
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've heard that the OS is buggy or something of similar anti-quality.Is that true?Always had a soft spot for the Ultras...
My ultra is fine and would pick emu racks over akai ones
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The thing about the s2000 is that it is fairly bland character wise and not the easiest to use. It was a budget model, and made sense in the market at the time, but today if you're going to buy a hardware sampler, there is not much reason to pick the s2000 when much more interesting ones are available so cheap.

If you've got one and you get a use out of it, great. If you've got one and you're not using it, pass it on for free or for a token to a friend that might have a use for it.

I wouldn't buy one for $10.

Oh and no, it will not interface easily with modern PCs or Macs.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you can still make use of an S2000 but it's tedious, slow and kinda vanilla for a sampler. i found the converters to be kind of lackluster compared to other samplers of the time and having to load the OS every time you turn it on is pretty annoying. the filters aren't very flattering either and impart a very distinct resonance when pushed.

i owned one for years until it finally died. then i moved on to a yamaha A3000 which was more fun and sounded way better.. but once computers were fast enough and software got better i didn't want to bother with hardware samplers anymore. there's just so much you can do with audio in the computer and so many apps for different types of samples.. it seemed just a waste of time to keep dealing with a hardware sampler...

but like lot's of people it's hard for me to see a nice emu or kurzweil for super cheap and not think about getting my hands dirty with one. i never got to check out the emu line and would love to but also don't have money to throw away or time for that matter.

if you have an S2000 sitting there and are curious then you should just fire it up and spend a few hours messing around with it. the OS disk has basic synth waveforms that sound pretty decent and you can make a patch pretty easily with those.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I still use the s2000, it's great, mind you I do have the 16mb, the effects board and the 8output. the small screen doesnt bother me I've used it for so long that im quick with it.

has a nice sound on jungle breakbeats, but if it's not your thing and you haven't got the upgrades Id honestly just sell it.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➑️
not the easiest to use.
It's very easy to use (for me anyway). been using mine for 4-5 years now and i come from a software background. I have memorized in my head the number of times you press the 'group' buttons which is basically shortcuts to the most importang pages like start time for trimming a sample. It's 4 presses infact. and I love how it's the only s-series to have the outter dial/wheel to flick through the keygroups. I'm honestly in love with my s2k.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon ➑️

but like lot's of people it's hard for me to see a nice emu or kurzweil for super cheap and not think about getting my hands dirty with one.
Oh how I can relate to that...
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatski ➑️
I'm honestly in love with my s2k.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ive never had a problem with it and has never ever crashed in me, i updated it to the latest and even that was pretty painless!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Ultra series has always been kind of a desire.Pleased to hear there are no software artifacts.Like Boon mentioned earlier, the idea of an EMU is still attractive.How less powerful would you say ie, a E6400 is from one of the Ultra series?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've also thought of the Korg MicroSampler.It looks a lot of fun from what i've seen, really like the last 2 sampling modes & the way they map the slices.Cool instrument for live use of chunks of audio of your songs.The only thing that bugs me (there has to be one, right?) is that it cannot loop a certain portion of a sample so I can't multisample a sustained instrument.Damn...!!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The thing you have to ask is... is it worth the money you'll get by selling it?
With most of these old samplers the answer is no, and it's probably better to just have them around because they might be useful one day.

If you want a nice sampler, I'd recommend an EMU Ultra too.
I find them quite user friendly and great sounding.
And comparing this one with my other samplers (including a Yamaha A5000 & TX16w, Roland S760 & S330), it's much easier to use than any of those...
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How less powerful would you say ie, a E6400 is from one of the Ultra series?
Not very much. You can't upgrade the classics all the way up to the latest EOS so no 'beat munging' and the various non realtime functions (Destructive edits) are 1.5 times slower.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui ➑️
The thing you have to ask is... is it worth the money you'll get by selling it?
With most of these old samplers the answer is no, and it's probably better to just have them around because they might be useful one day.
This is a big part of the dilemma.If I sell it it will probably just give me sone extra beer money.If I keep it as it is, 2MB of memory won't take me anywhere.If i upgrade it will cost the same as getting a fine EMU.I guess it will be one of those unconscious decisions made just for the sake of making a decision...
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is a big part of the dilemma.If I sell it it will probably just give me sone extra beer money.If I keep it as it is, 2MB of memory won't take me anywhere.If i upgrade it will cost the same as getting a fine EMU.I guess it will be one of those unconscious decisions made just for the sake of making a decision...
Old samplers are great just to send your glassy ITB tracks through for a bit of dirt..

Your consideration should be more about space if your happy to keep even if you only use twice a year
Old 28th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've been hemming over selling mine for years. I started out with an Ensoniq Mirage and S2000 until I saved enough to purchase an S3000XL then switched to an e6400 then "upgraded" to my current 128mb E6400 ULTRA and never looked back. E-mu's sound great - the z-plane filters are rad and the convolution is nice. Not really sure what they're worth these days though. Anyone actually interested?
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid8088 ➑️
I've been hemming over selling mine for years. I started out with an Ensoniq Mirage and S2000 until I saved enough to purchase an S3000XL then switched to an e6400 then "upgraded" to my current 128mb E6400 ULTRA and never looked back. E-mu's sound great - the z-plane filters are rad and the convolution is nice. Not really sure what they're worth these days though. Anyone actually interested?
You have been influenced by people i've been speaking very highly of.Nice to know there are like-minded personas out there...!

I really like the idea of having an Ultra but postal fees can be high when you are getting something from abroad...:(
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid8088 ➑️
I've been hemming over selling mine for years.
deffo keep the s2000. Yeah it aint no s900/s950 with the lofi, but it still has resample and can JUST about get it gritty, gritty for a 16bitter anyway. The effects board for the s2000 is amazing.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Keep it. I use hardware samplers exclusively, and must say I cant see myself giving any of them up for some software thing.

alexP
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanx guys!Seems like i'm keeping it afterall.Just have to upgrade the memory fast 'cause 30 seconds or so of sampling won't do me any good.
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Dump it in a closet (return money is zilch) and get an S3000 or something bigger.

Memorizing how many times you have to press a button is awfully quaint when you can have function keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Keep it. I use hardware samplers exclusively
And they're either the really old stuff or the flagships - anything in between is not worth keeping.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Dump it in a closet (return money is zilch) and get an S3000 or something bigger.

Memorizing how many times you have to press a button is awfully quaint when you can have function keys.

And they're either the really old stuff or the flagships - anything in between is not worth keeping.
Nevertheless, i need to buy the memory upgrade.It's the cheapest thing available so at least i get to say i gave it a go before letting it go(in a closet as it seems ridiculous indeed to sell it for 50€ or something).
An Ultra has been on my mind as something enjoyable but i really need to be careful with money right now so i might as well give that old Akai a spin, just for the sake of it.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If by "it" you mean $35, then yes, the Akai S2000 is worth it.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
If by "it" you mean $35, then yes, the Akai S2000 is worth it.
Point taken.
πŸ“ Reply