Quantcast
Is my Akai S-2000 still worth it? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is my Akai S-2000 still worth it?
Old 1st October 2012
  #31
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Actually, I saw a few S2000s going for between 50 and 80 euros here - fully expanded with 32 megabytes) in the Netherlands. Of course the market in Greece is different but it might be worth the attempt to find another that's already fully expanded - if the costs of that isn't much higher than buying the memory expansion.
Old 1st October 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Actually, I saw a few S2000s going for between 50 and 80 euros here - fully expanded with 32 megabytes) in the Netherlands. Of course the market in Greece is different but it might be worth the attempt to find another that's already fully expanded - if the costs of that isn't much higher than buying the memory expansion.
I've seen people asking for even more, domestically & abroad but i'd feel like a fraud if i was to sell it to someone for that much.Truth is you're right & that's why i was frustrated about what to do with it in the first place.It makes more sense to get an Ultra for some more money & keep the Akai just for the sake of having it but alas, my Mac crash & refurnishing my bedroom studio will set me back & an Ultra feels like a luxury right now.The immediacy of MicroSampler is appealing but you cannot loop a portion(to the best of my knowledge) which actually makes it less appealing than originally thought.Too bad because it really seems a fun instrument to have albeit with no in-depth sound-mangling tools.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
Too bad because it really seems a fun instrument to have albeit with no in-depth sound-mangling tools.
the most mangly thing I've come across on my s2000, (but like any other akai) is making the timestretch sound more like a ringmod effect, go for about a 101% stretch (just so it can do it) then have a very low cycle like minimum (20 I think) to 150ish, it ringmods the sample. Sadly it's no real time but it only takes 4 seconds to do the calculations.
Old 1st October 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I think I paid $700 used for a bare bones one in 1996. It was a big step up from the Roland MS-1, though, which had no envelopes.
Old 1st October 2012
  #35
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I will defend the s2000 until I die. I dont know why people give them a hard time on here. The guy who said they have a boring vanilla sound is right. but that's only if you sample at 20k and leave it at that. If you resample to like 11000 and quality: 1. Then you get a nice sound.

As for people saying you're constantly pressing buttons, well, I owned the s950, the s1100, s3000xl and have played with an s5000 for a day. The s2000 is actually the quickest to use because the outer dial flicks through all your keygroups. I can wizz around on the s2000 as quick as some one turning the chorus on, on a juno60 lol.

I've memorized how many times I've had to press the group (shortcut) buttons too since owning it from 2009. I started off with software and using soft samplers but I will never go back now.
but whatever floats your boat I guess.
Old 1st October 2012
  #36
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatski ➑️
the most mangly thing I've come across on my s2000, (but like any other akai) is making the timestretch sound more like a ringmod effect, go for about a 101% stretch (just so it can do it) then have a very low cycle like minimum (20 I think) to 150ish, it ringmods the sample. Sadly it's no real time but it only takes 4 seconds to do the calculations.
My quote was referring to the MicroSampler but from what i've seen it applies to the S-2000 as well.Thanks for the tip Squatski!
Old 1st October 2012
  #37
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
I think I paid $700 used for a bare bones one in 1996. It was a big step up from the Roland MS-1, though, which had no envelopes.
It's funny how something that used to cost 4 figures in its heyday can now be yours for a mere 2-figure price.Understandable...but funny.Or sad.Wish it could happen to other equipment as well .
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
I think I paid $700 used for a bare bones one in 1996. It was a big step up from the Roland MS-1, though, which had no envelopes.
I paid 12000FIM (inflation-adjusted something like 3000€ these days) for a Yamaha A3000 when it came out. And people complain that something like an Octatrack at 1000€ is expensive. Oh, the spoiled kids of today!
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Paradigm X's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Heh

I paid Β£999 when they first came out and it was a steal at the time. Still got it, and acquired a second for free! might sell one.

Ive not used mine in years but recently gone all hardware and will be using it again imminently. kinda with squatski, i used it for years and you can do stuff really quick. good using your ears instead of eyes as well. theres also a clever way of getting BP and HP filters out of it, by mixing out of phase samples.

Ive got the 8 output board but not sure i need, not got many inputs on desk. might sell this as well. i could keep both s2000s for 4 outs.

Im going to get it circuit bent when i get some money, cant do this on any other akasi afaik other than the POS s01, which makes it worth while.

Circuitbenders - Circuit Bent Akai S2000 sampler
Old 2nd October 2012
  #40
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm X ➑️
Heh

I paid Β£999 when they first came out and it was a steal at the time. Still got it, and acquired a second for free! might sell one.

Ive not used mine in years but recently gone all hardware and will be using it again imminently. kinda with squatski, i used it for years and you can do stuff really quick. good using your ears instead of eyes as well. theres also a clever way of getting BP and HP filters out of it, by mixing out of phase samples.

Ive got the 8 output board but not sure i need, not got many inputs on desk. might sell this as well. i could keep both s2000s for 4 outs.

Im going to get it circuit bent when i get some money, cant do this on any other akasi afaik other than the POS s01, which makes it worth while.

Circuitbenders - Circuit Bent Akai S2000 sampler
Never thought of this approach...Thanx for the link Paradigm X, really appreciate & might take this route eventually!
Old 2nd October 2012
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Paradigm X's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
cool. i had pretty much the same thought recently, is it worth keeping or not, think getting it modded to do seomthing pretty unique is the only way really.
Old 2nd October 2012
  #42
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
why are so many people saying it has the same sound engine as the s3000XL? that family was later on. s2000 came out in 1995. It uses the (1992ish) s3000/s2800/s3200 family converters.
Old 3rd October 2012
  #43
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatski ➑️
why are so many people saying it has the same sound engine as the s3000XL? that family was later on. s2000 came out in 1995. It uses the (1992ish) s3000/s2800/s3200 family converters.
I wish i could but i really can't step in here.I am a complete idiot when it comes to hardware samplers.To me, having Kontakt "talk" like an MPC(thru its engine) or having the same sample on an MPC, "sounds" like it should be the same sonically but i really can't comment since i've never actually used an Akai, even my own.Other good people can lean forward if they feel like it...
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Keep it. I use hardware samplers exclusively, and must say I cant see myself giving any of them up for some software thing.


alexP


The S2000 is so difficult to use. In the end, it's all about making music conveniently. And the timing is bad, too. I love my S6000 and Kontakt. Who has space for a S2000? Wasted Rack space. You could place some high end gear into that rack space.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
kazper's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatski ➑️
why are so many people saying it has the same sound engine as the s3000XL? that family was later on. s2000 came out in 1995. It uses the (1992ish) s3000/s2800/s3200 family converters.
Because the S2000 and the S3000XL share the same Motherboard.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️


And they're either the really old stuff or the flagships - anything in between is not worth keeping.
I have really old Flagships! :P

But also things like the W30s I find quite useful.


alexP
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️
The S2000 is so difficult to use.
For you yeah.
Old 5th October 2012
  #48
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I think they are but I'm biased because I used to use one and one my favourite sampled based albums was done on it:

Since I left you - The Avalanches

Absolutely awesome example of sampling, especially as the s2000 isn't easiest sampler use (then again neither is my emu )
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm X ➑️
Heh

I paid Β£999 when they first came out and it was a steal at the time. Still got it, and acquired a second for free! might sell one.

Ive not used mine in years but recently gone all hardware and will be using it again imminently. kinda with squatski, i used it for years and you can do stuff really quick. good using your ears instead of eyes as well. theres also a clever way of getting BP and HP filters out of it, by mixing out of phase samples.

Ive got the 8 output board but not sure i need, not got many inputs on desk. might sell this as well. i could keep both s2000s for 4 outs.

Im going to get it circuit bent when i get some money, cant do this on any other akasi afaik other than the POS s01, which makes it worth while.

Circuitbenders - Circuit Bent Akai S2000 sampler
The output expansion allows you to backup and restore data to a digital audio track.
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=dubmunkey;8328607especially as the s2000 isn't easiest sampler use [/QUOTE]

again, for you.

**** me how many more people are gonna come in this thread and go it's hard to use.
Old 6th October 2012
  #51
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I don't think its worth it.kontakt 5 does it all.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➑️
I don't think its worth it.kontakt 5 does it all.

Sent from my PC36100
Except for sounding like an Akai. But hey, who cares about sound, right? As if music ever had aaaaaanything to do with sound...
Old 6th October 2012
  #53
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
Except for sounding like an Akai. But hey, who cares about sound, right? As if music ever had aaaaaanything to do with sound...
I honestly get what you mean but Kontakt has an Akai mode now.Not to say that they sound the same but i do believe that most would be hard pressed to tell on a recording.I can understand someone who advices me against keeping it as it is too much work & money to incorporate it to a modern studio, let alone the editing features of today's soft samplers.
I've made up my mind & i AM keeping it but being someone who has grown up with computer sampling, i know where they are coming from...
Old 7th October 2012
  #54
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
In addition to the memory expansion you will want a SCSI drive (assuming that a SCSI card and MESA are not an option for your computer) you don't want to be stuck using just the floppy drive, you can also put the OS on the SCSI drive and the S2000 will boot a lot faster.
Old 7th October 2012
  #55
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
Except for sounding like an Akai. But hey, who cares about sound, right? As if music ever had aaaaaanything to do with sound...
Yea I played a track and everyone said,that song would be better if you had that akai sound

Those days are gone,mix with your ears my friend.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➑️
Yea I played a track and everyone said,that song would be better if you had that akai sound

Those days are gone,mix with your ears my friend.

Sent from my PC36100

you people are the reason to blame why all samples in todays music sounds so flat and also why I only really enjoy listening to drum'n'bass from the 90s. If you use an akai it actually gives your samples some balls. Maybe you're just young. stick with your kontact and whatnot 'samplers' I'm not interested.
Old 7th October 2012
  #57
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandturbine ➑️
In addition to the memory expansion you will want a SCSI drive (assuming that a SCSI card and MESA are not an option for your computer) you don't want to be stuck using just the floppy drive, you can also put the OS on the SCSI drive and the S2000 will boot a lot faster.
Just out of curiosity, do you know if you can save a program in more than one floppy disk?
Old 7th October 2012
  #58
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatski ➑️

you people are the reason to blame why all samples in todays music sounds so flat and also why I only really enjoy listening to drum'n'bass from the 90s. If you use an akai it actually gives your samples some balls. Maybe you're just young. stick with your kontact and whatnot 'samplers' I'm not interested.
Maybe I'm 40(young not),I understand what you think is going on.I just don't agree with it.

Those old school samplers were phat,hit hard and had some character.but when you understand those things,you'd soon realize how minute they are and or how to get phatness and character.

Actually they were great at the time,that's its no more no less.I process things very well,but if you think the converters are the magic trick that's where your wrong.

But enjoy your dream and magic box.I owned them all BTW.

I had a emu e4 keys as well,but I used the digital ins and outs bypassing the converters all together.

That sound you speak of is in the data compression.back then sampler didn't use full waves.they had proprietary formats.

That's where the sound dwelled.

Again if you think your akai is besting my converters,and that mine are flat have fun with that.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 7th October 2012
  #59
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
...& i suppose any SCSI hard drive will do, correct?As long as it is 500Mb...
Old 8th October 2012
  #60
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
...& i suppose any SCSI hard drive will do, correct?As long as it is 500Mb...
Very picky on compatibility I had a s2000 ,I had to try to scsi cd rom drives for it to work.I still have the drive as well as the zip drive.

I would hook it up to my 5080 but its a waist of time.

Sent from my AT100
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2221 views: 340499
Avatar for Toyvizier
Toyvizier 3rd February 2021
replies: 19 views: 4344
Avatar for andrewsc
andrewsc 31st January 2012
replies: 1831 views: 239076
Avatar for Angelico
Angelico 1 week ago
replies: 57 views: 14210
Avatar for chab
chab 2nd December 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump