Quantcast
Roland Juno 106 voice chip problem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Juno 106 voice chip problem
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland Juno 106 voice chip problem

Hey guys i got a juno 106 just last week and in my fiddling around with it ive noticed a few things abit funny about it.
First is when i open the filter right up it sounds like the A4 note is hanging or something. Ive got no idea what this might be.
Second is when i have midi running into it sometimes a note in one of the chords playing will sound like its dropping out then it will come back in again like maybe a voice chip is playing up a little.
I would just take it straight into someone that repairs synths but it will cost me about 200-300 in shipping to get it to sydney where there is meant to be a good one. So i thought i might just ask anyways.
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-producti

Ok with abit more playing around ive noticed that every 6th note goes very quiet. But sometimes the order changes. So im guessing a voice chip is my problem. And also that hanging note sometimes goes and lastly im sitting here now listening to the hanging note and occassionally i get a burst of noise
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Juno 106 help

99.99999% of the time these symptoms indicate a dying voice chip. Or more specifically, the 80017a "chips" (actually modules) which contain the VCF and VCA.

To find out which voice it is, hold down the Transpose button while turning the 106 on. Then, press Poly1 and Poly2 together so both are lit. Then play a note repeatedly on the keyboard while watching the display and listening. The display shows the voice being used for the note being played, so it'll be easy to determine which voice is the dying one.

Replace the failing chip with a good one, and cross your fingers that more of them don't die on you.
Old 17th January 2010 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Juno 106 help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton ➡️
Hey guys i got a juno 106 just last week and in my fiddling around with it ive noticed a few things abit funny about it.
First is when i open the filter right up it sounds like the A4 note is hanging or something. Ive got no idea what this might be.

You can find new replacement chips here:

80017A VCF VCA JUNO-106 VOICE CHIP FILTER IC REPLACEMENT

You might also try to fix the chip yourself:

YouTube - Possible Repair Technique for the 80017a, the Juno-106 Voice Chip

Some reported success, some not.

Adding this to service thread.
Old 17th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks guys i tried the voice test thing and chip 1 has bit the dust. i might even make a little article on removing it and removing the coating for other people with this problem
Old 18th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton ➡️
thanks guys i tried the voice test thing and chip 1 has bit the dust. i might even make a little article on removing it and removing the coating for other people with this problem
I repaired 3 'bad' voice chips using this method and the synth has been operating perfectly since.
The best advice I can give you is to take your time and be gentle.

However I do have to replace to faders in the filter section, if anyone has an extra pair of faders and fader knobs to part with please let me know.
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can now buy replacement drop in discrete chips for all voices on a 106 I think they’re around €70 each chip! Or near the mark plus shipping!
📝 Reply