Quantcast
Roland JD-800 sticky keys service / repair - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JD-800 sticky keys service / repair
Old 12th December 2012

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Rather than 5 minutes, leave it 5 days in the water.

Don't use any powder, buddy!
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Too late for the washing powder. I'm reluctant. I'll leave the keys a little more soaking and if I get rid of the caramel, I'll let you know. Thanks.
Old 9th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
This soaking removed effectively the caramel from the keys!
Old 10th January 2013

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Inspect that your keys didn't caught some algae, now after 3 weeks in the water.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any longer in the bath and i wouldve recommended checking for barnacles too. ;p
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
LOL...No, I left them for a week only
Efficient method (with washing powder)!
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hi everybody
since jd 800 spares part become hard to find out
i'm thinking about replace the keyboard keys
with a custom keyboard ... like m-audio or others... ,
the intention is remove the roland "bad" keyboard
and place a keyboard removed from a low cost "master keyboard"
the question is :
if the roland keyboard is removed and disconnected
the jd800 run without troubles like an expander ?

if the jd800 run like an expander without troubles
a new keyboard got from a low cost master keyboard
can be customized and placed in the jd800
and connected via midi connector out to the jd800 retrofit midi in connector

mission impossible ?
thanks in advance
for any "tip"
ww
Old 26th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yes, this is possible. I have seen photos of such change, but it looks pretty bad and amateuristic with the hole behind the keyboard and the MiDi cable. Roland still supplies all the required parts to change your JD-800 keyboard. You should enjoy while these parts are still available. I have recently changed a JD-800 keyboard with original parts. The result is a lot better than using cheap parts and damaging the JD-800 enclosure, and the effort is lesser.
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hi everybody
since jd 800 spares part become hard or impossible to find out
(thanks to Roland )
i'm thinking about a custom replacement of the original very very bad & poor jd800 keyboard
with a custom keyboard taked from a "low cost"master keyboard like m-audio or others ... ,
the intention would be remove the roland very very bad & poor keyboard from jd800
and replace it with a keyboard removed from a low cost "master keyboard"
The tech. question is :
if the roland keyboard is removed and disconnected
the jd800 run without troubles like a sound expander module ?

if the jd800 run like an expander without troubles
a new custom keyboard got from the low cost master keyboard
can be customized and placed in the jd800
and connected via midi connector out to the jd800 retrofit midi in connector

mission impossible ?
thanks in advance
for any "tip"
ww

PS :
my opinion about Roland Music instruments
is totally negative !!!!!!!!!
not serious company !!!!!
very Bad service support !!!!!!!

how could they fit a very very bad & poor quality keyboard ,
on a synth widely reported and advertised (by Roland) as "professional" ,
sold (at the time) about 3000 usd,
and then not replace the very very bad & poor keyboard for free ???
keyboard that Roland pay only few usd .....
(most likely made in china)

which does not say that they did not know!!!
after having built and sold keyboards for over 20 years (in the 1991) ....!!!
and probably have done lawsuit and also had compensation from the company that built bad keys ...,
and in this case :
Why the compensation money were not used to replace the keyboards "gears" that the thousend customers have paid by fresh cash as high-quality professional???

A Serious and Honest company Would !!!

why the keyboard has not been left available as a spare part ???

It's Extremely Disgusting, outrageous and ridiculous .....

see that after Roland stopped producing the jd800,
continues today to produce all kind of keyboards,
that use same old ridiculous midi keys control chip and software
and that none of these keyboards that utilize keyboards definitely better than the very very bad & poor mounted on the jd800
is not compatible with the jd800 ,
and then cannot be made available as a replacement for the jd800 .

it is clear that they still work in midi .

this is the "thank you" by Roland?
a kick in the ass ?

it's the jd800 very very bad poor keyboard SPARE PART replacement ,
an extremey complex, dangerous "atomic",
mission impossible to do ???

What they must do the owners of the jd800
paid thousands of real fresh cash dollars,
throw them in the trash ???

or should they tell you :
..hey "Roland" : Fxxx YOU... !!!!!
(you and all your Fxxx products !!! )

Last edited by wavewalker; 26th April 2013 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Roland jd800 keyboard spares , Disgusting, outrageous and ridiculous "story"
Old 26th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Wow, I quess you don't grasp the concept on lifecycle and old/vintage very well do you? You really thing JD-800 is worth the same as in 1991 (about $5000 in 2012 dollars) and Roland should continue to support it 100%? Do you also think that Yamaha should give 100% support for CS-80, because it cost $6900 in 1979, what makes it about $21500 in 2012 dollars. Yeah, **** Yamaha! :D

Actually I just got my JD-800 serviced by Roland tech and it's now 100% working. Allthough the problem was not the keyboard.
Old 26th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Roland = excellent service. They reflashed by JD-990 eprom for free with the latest firmware, and free shipping. They didn't have to.
Old 26th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
you are "quasi" right ... ,
but :
here we are talking about
a very bad & poor quality "stupid" midi keyboard spare part
placed on a expensive synth keyboard
declared "professional" by the manufacturer...

( currently keyboard technology used in millions of keyboards.... )

not about hard to find original oscillators chips ,
or original hammond organ keyboard or/and leslie parts or what else....
made in the 60' , 70' era .....

or any other obsolete part/technology , that no longer used for "centuries".

keep in mind that many mks80 , jupiter 8, an other more...
(built with good "professional" quality parts)
carefully kept in dry places etc ..
are still alive in 100% woking condition after 30 years and more,
some other treated badly like Live concert tour
(sun,cold,umidity,dust , etc...)
or also left in a humid or dusty place
already died a long time ago...

that i mean is about some thousend jd 800 units
kept with care at home ,
rendered almost unusable by an infamous glue,
which will undoubtedly knew .

i said some thousend not some dozen .....
for this reason Roland must provide about .

if you know something about electronic design and engineering
you know perfectly well what we are talking .

Roland can safely take all their current keyboard and simply adapt to the jd800 ,
or in the design of a new keyboard insert one that will work with jd 800 and then provide it as a spare!

AT ZERO COST !!!

and then give their "professional" products an image of :
reliability and durability especially.

This i consider : SERIOUS , HONESTY , PROFESSIONALISM !!!

PS:
is well known that many technology companies release softwares or hardware
with some problems to reach the market before competitors,
but then solve the problem as soon as possible,
to avoid serious trouble,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman ➑️
Wow, I quess you don't grasp the concept on lifecycle and old/vintage very well do you? You really thing JD-800 is worth the same as in 1991 (about $5000 in 2012 dollars) and Roland should continue to support it 100%? Do you also think that Yamaha should give 100% support for CS-80, because it cost $6900 in 1979, what makes it about $21500 in 2012 dollars. Yeah, **** Yamaha! :D

Actually I just got my JD-800 serviced by Roland tech and it's now 100% working. Allthough the problem was not the keyboard.
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Which Glue do you suggest to re-glue the weight to the keys ?
Old 23rd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I seen a friend re-glue with bostich+silicone
and all is still glued
ww

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht ➑️
Which Glue do you suggest to re-glue the weight to the keys ?
Old 21st May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
I did a post on this subject ages back here

In regards to the removal of existing red glue, after cleaning away the leaked mess, I just applied a thin layer of hot glue around the edge of the weight to stop any more leaking. Its a bit of a labourious job doing all the keys, but to this day my JD's keybed is a good as new. No glue issues at all. thumbsup
I know this is an old thread but I'd Like to add to this as it may help someone.
As the keys are basically the same I'll mention that I recently had the same issue with a D70 that I was repairing. (Cheap Ebay project as I like a challenge)
I tried softening with 100% IPA but it wasn't that effective.
Then I tried lighter fluid not any better.
So I tried IPA and Lighter fluid mixed Much better within seconds it went jellied and I was able to pick it off and clean the remnants with a cloth wetted with the solution some of the really bad bits I scrapped off. The Whole thing from strip to reassemble was about 2-3 hrs that included cleaning all the glue out of the rubber contact strips.
For that don't use anything gently press the inside of the contact where the carbon contacts are, the red glue just pops out like its in a mold.
The D70 was really bad at least 5 keys were stuck together and I had to remove them like that rather than risk breaking them.
After doing all that the keyboard has other issues with the flexifilm boards loosing continuity at the bonded joints.And the FFC cables are shot where the previous owner didn't understand how Zif sockets work and forced them in and messed the ends up.
The thing only cost me Β£25 and does work on midi.
I will be experimenting with some conductive paint, conductive glue and some hard wiring If it works I'll post my results
Old 17th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hi , "Another" JD800 victim of the glue .....

about plastic keys cleaning the "mission" can be possible but not so easy ....

about the glue gone over the pcb contact switches (check Image)

there is a way to remove it without destroy the pcb ?

any help is really welcome

peace
w
Old 1st September 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Roland JD keys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
I had a quick look at other Roland synth keybeds of that rough era, all the JX's and Alpha Junos used spring mechs. I think the JD's one was quite unique. Never seen it on anything else (unless they used it on any of their arrangers?) Again I think it would be worth asking Senso. He would have great knowledge in this area.
Mine has just started with the sticky keys! I remember repairing a Roland KR33 & it had the same type of flat metal 'spring' on the keys. I was told that the Alpha Junos were the same. Maybe these keys are compatible?
Old 2nd September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalk ➑️
Mine has just started with the sticky keys! I remember repairing a Roland KR33 & it had the same type of flat metal 'spring' on the keys. I was told that the Alpha Junos were the same. Maybe these keys are compatible?
Some month ago I healed my JD from the *drumRoll*

ReDGlue Issue , mauhahah

Here are some Photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3123109&type=3

Hope that helps someone
Old 2nd September 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht ➑️
Some month ago I healed my JD from the *drumRoll*

ReDGlue Issue , mauhahah

Here are some Photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3123109&type=3

Hope that helps someone
Very kind, thanks! I might just MIDI control it for now as I don't have the time to strip it down. A job for the dark cold evenings that are approaching!
Old 3rd February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
.....Roland "destroy" music "creators" ....

somebody have found a way to remove the bastard red glue
from keys "chassis" and flats ?

(please check attached image about .)

W.

ps:
posted as help for all Roland JD800 owners with bastard red glue issue .

ps "2" :
Roland "music" Instruments ? No thanks !!! Never More !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Roland JD-800 sticky keys service / repair-roland-j800-fuxx-red-glue-flats-yz.jpg  

Last edited by wavewalker; 3rd February 2015 at 04:25 PM..
Old 29th April 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
There is a keybed being sold on eBay. The repair was partially done. Apparently only the keys still have some red glue. My JD has the keybed repaired years ago by a Roland tech, I've never had issues again with it.
Old 18th May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
JD800 Rusty Patches Inside...

Just removed the keyboard, but there are a few rusty patches inside. Any clues on how to remove and treat them? I've attached images.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland JD-800 sticky keys service / repair-imag3765.jpg   Roland JD-800 sticky keys service / repair-imag3766.jpg  
Old 26th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm going through and replacing the keyboard (with one I got from Roland several months back) and also the tact switches (many of which are faulty) this weekend. Photos so far, including Mouser parts for the switches (I haven't yet soldered in place and tested the switches, so use at your own risk):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/psychl...57654666830520

This thread helped me with getting the silly thing open. I wasn't sure which of the 80000000 screws on the bottom I needed to remove. Thanks.

Edit: Yes, if you call Roland, they will get you a keybed. It was around $300 as I recall. Not cheap, but if you like your JD and value your time, it's the simplest solution.

Pete

Last edited by Psychlist1972; 26th June 2015 at 05:22 AM..
Old 26th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancelectrik ➑️
Just removed the keyboard, but there are a few rusty patches inside. Any clues on how to remove and treat them? I've attached images.
If that's actually rust, you could sand it off, but you'd need to remove all the electronics first.

My recommendation is to cover the rest of the unit in tape and tarp and spray some black rustoleum paint over the rust.

Pete
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Completed the restoration. Soldered in new tact switches and used deoxit in every slider. Hand-cleaned every fader. Cleaned out the nastiness inside (the two dead roaches and the roach poo...yuck) and replaced the keybed with the new one from Roland.

Restoring something used is fun...but gross.

Pete
Old 8th October 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
JD800 Red Glue Fix...

My JD800 weights started to drop out slowly as the horrid red evil started to deteriorate. I looked at this thread to decide what to do. Too many people have been trying hard acidic products which ruin the keys or boiling water which melts them. I tried everything but this glue stuff is not of this earth. So I went in from a different approach and it worked fine. Here it is..

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...910/NlnuAn.jpg

Firstly I took of every key and used a craft knife to remove as much of the death glue as possible. I scraped it off the weight and from all around the guttering of the weight inside the key. I then used rubbing alcohol which I had to buy online as no shop sold it. I then rubbed as much of the glue off as possible with the spirit and a rag. It came off the plastic keys quite easily, but the was always some residue left which seemed impossible to get, but this was a small amount and no problem.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...633/cGQLTP.jpg

At this point I will mention that I have not removed the weights, just removed as much of the glue as possible.

This is where I had a brain wave of keeping any bits of remaining red glue in the key itself by using a glue gun and sealing the guttering around the weight.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...903/SHhYrF.jpg

Don't put too much in the black keys as they don't press down fully with too much glue inside! I had to re-remove most of the keys again to cut down the amount of glue that I had injected in!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...903/prQty3.jpg

This sorted out the problem for me. All keys are now OK and are working. I completed this job about 3 months ago and all is still fine. I called Roland UK at the start of all this and they were very helpful in being able to obtain a whole new keyboard from Japan for about Β£150 with postage. I nearly did it to save all of the aggro, but I was too tempted by the challenge.

This hopefully will help the rest of the JD800 sufferers out there, and also those with D70s, JVs and a multitude of other Roland synths!

Apologies for the image links, the 'insert image' button inserts the image, but when previewed or posted, it states that I am not allowed to use IMG tags?!?! Then why have a button that inserts them?!?
Old 8th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioweapon ➑️
I have this wondeful problem too! Today I called Roland and was told the "lifetime" warranty was discontinued as of April of 2010 and it would cost $360.00 for a new keybed for the JD! Isn't it nice that they can profit from the stupidity of their engineering? Even without an "education" lol in engineering I could have prevented this by simply saying .. uhhh how about a little tab or two on the plastic key so the weight just snaps into place? Thanks Roland Restoration has begun needless to say!
Here's an UPDATE: The keybed assembly now costs $461. Sad.
Old 9th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysuptil1 ➑️
Why "Sad"?

I personally think it's pretty good that Roland continues to produce, and make available, a keybed for a 25 year old keyboard. It's something they probably only sell a handful of each year, so keeping it in production costs them real money.

Let's not get too entitled, now.

If you've ever priced out a new Fatar 61 key weighted with AT or similar keybed, you'll find they are in a similar ballpark price-wise when purchased in small quantities.

Pete
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysuptil1 ➑️
..also thanks to "politics" friends of corporations
(...and the big "gifts"....)

....class action ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavewalker ➑️
..also thanks to "politics" friends of corporations
(...and the big "gifts"....)

....class action ?
For real? The keyboard is 25 years old. The fact that they even have parts for it today is amazing.

Good keybeds are expensive (and the new keybed *is* good). Not sure where the politics and gifts part is coming from.

Pete
πŸ“ Reply