Boss CE-300 Mods - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boss CE-300 Mods
Old 2nd February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotwprod ➡️
Did you ever find the all of the right caps and resistors?
No. I gave up on it.
Old 3rd February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 ➡️
No. I gave up on it.
Really? They are very common components and far from hard to source in Europe
Old 3rd February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron ➡️
Really? They are very common components and far from hard to source in Europe
My only option is to buy from Mouser and I struggled to find the exact parts (as I listed in a post above last year).
Cheers.
Old 9th May 2018 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Did you ever find the all of the right caps and resistors?
Never knew i posted wrong caps and resistors.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have no idea what to pick either
Old 10th May 2018 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Bad day? My intention was not to be a dick, simply looking for some guidance. The caps and resistors come with different tolerances, voltage and wattage variables. For someone who doesn't work with this stuff on the regular, it's not completely obvious what the best choice is.
That's all just fine. I am not an electronic engineer neither and article never mentions what the best choice is. That part is left to the competence of the person performing the modification. For example the values i used are 1/4W, 63V/105. Are these the best choice, i don't know.

Keep in mind, this is a public forum and every stooge can read this board. This modification involves electricity, we're not making popcorn here. Some seriousness to consider - electricity kills. While i like to joke around on this board, when it comes to actual opening of an electrical device, there is simply NO space for jokes, fun or any type of easy talk. Don't open the device if you, don't work with this stuff on the regular. Please, just don't. Give it to a tech, buy him some beer and he will know what to do.
Old 10th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
This modification involves electricity
Ain't that the truth (as someone who recently nearly took his hand off replacing the power supply in his Poly61)

Glad I remembered that old tip about using the back of your fingers first, in case you got a shock ....
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’ve modified gear and transformers, but the parts are usually bundled. Just don’t know which caps to get as they have way too many sizes with the same specs
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Is there a similar mod for a Roland GP-8 that anyone has found?
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I got myself a CE-300 now and stumbled over a nice tip at sequencer.de

For those who don‘t want or can‘t (like me) do the mod.Bought a cheap DI Box

https://m.thomann.de/de/millenium_die_dibox_passiv.htm

and this cable

https://m.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_fxp1015.htm

To bring the line level down to instrument level.Works like a breeze and the chorus sounds great.Works with all instrument level pedals of course.

Weaker signal out is not a big deal here,it‘s still a hot signal and the unit is very silent (aka almost noise free).

Will it sound better with the mod?I don‘t know since i can‘t compare and most probably i‘ll ask a friend later to do the mod for me but for now i‘m happy with the solution.One thing i noticed:It will cut some high frequency on my unit when i plug a synth directly to it.Even in bypass mode.But i prefer to use it on a mixer send (and return it into a mixer channel for EQ control) anyway.
Old 8th October 2019
Emi
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Did the mod. Sounds awesome, and level matches +4dbu which is really great.

I compare it with some chorus presets from the Eventide Orville and I liked the CE-300 more by touch. Awesome unit.

Thanks a lot for all the info.
Old 8th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi ➡️
Did the mod. Sounds awesome, and level matches +4dbu which is really great.

I compare it with some chorus presets from the Eventide Orville and I liked the CE-300 more by touch. Awesome unit.

Thanks a lot for all the info.
I use mine at -10dBV. Is +4dBU really possible??
Old 8th October 2019 | Show parent
Emi
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondl ➡️
I use mine at -10dBV. Is +4dBU really possible??
Sorry, you’re right.

To work at +4dbu i think it would have to balance it? Maybe transformers?
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, you'd have to mod it again

Re: Eventides, it's tough to dial in a nice chorus on the newer models. The H3000 has a chorus that's famous in its own right, but the newer models are IMO much too hifi to approach the warm, swirling glory of a BBD or add something new on their own.
Old 7th November 2019
Here for the gear

Anyone know if a similar mod for the micro rack BOSS RCE-10 exisits?
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Nut

Hi, I’ve plugged my synth into a di box before the ce300 and the input gain is still too high why is this.
Old 6th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Finally did it!

Finally brushed up on my soldering skills, nabbed a Japanese 100V CE-300 off Reverb, ordered the parts from Mouser, and did the mod. Works like a breeze and much better SNR running at line level! Output is now good & juicy.

Stands up very nicely in a Rhodes piano shootout against my original Dimension D unit - in fact, lately I've been using it more, because the Dimension D lacks a "wet only" feature, so putting it on a send makes your dry signal louder, and you have to turn down the dry track post-fader if you want to add "just a little." But with the CE-300 the "effect only" setting makes it perfect for using on a send.

I've also found that this makes it play nicer after high-output guitar pedals. With the new input impedance I probably couldn't plug a guitar straight into the input jack any more, but I never wanted to do that anyway .
📝 Reply