Quantcast
Yamaha YS200 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha YS200
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yamaha YS200

I have been hunting around for a hardware fm synth for a while and stumbled across the YS200.

All i can find on this forum are comments about how ugly it looks which is really quite debatable in the present fad of 80's revival.

but OMG it sounds so cool:

This synth seems a little hard to find so i am wondering if there are any other yamaha synths of the era with the same engine and fx? Perhaps Tx81z?

Is it true that the keyboard on this thing has aftertouch?

And does anyone know if there is a modern editor for OSX or iPad?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOL - I'm one of those who probably said it's an ugly synth I actually remember being impressed with its "orchestral" demo song when it came out, but that was like 1988 or 1989... these days I think you're better off with a TX81Z if you want a 4-operator FM synth, or perhaps the V50 if you need the sequencer...

Yes, IIRC it had aftertouch.. but it's still ugly! heh
Old 19th September 2012
Deleted cda76ca
In it's favour, the YS200 has Velocity, Aftertouch, Reverb, Delay, and a wonderful, nasty, digital 80's distortion built in. Easy edit options make sound editing more palatable.

TX81z, DX11 and V50 have the same 4-op engine, all 16bit DAC whereas the DX11 and YS200 are 12bit (slightly grungier)

TG33 has the same effects (again, the distortion is great) and marries it's more limited FM engine with a range of interesting 12-bit PCM samples, featuring D50 like jam loops, grungy acoustic sounds, sync and other basic waves and interesting pad snippets. The SY22 is a near-identical keyboard version, and the SY35 is another keyboard version with 16-bit PCM samples.

I have a DX11 and TG33 myself, hoping to score a TX7 and a SY77/99 in the coming year

PS, for FM on a serious budget, the PSS-390 is f***ing incredible, a little mini-key FM powerhouse
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Winston Churchill loves the YS200!

Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I remember playing the B-200 in a shop. Basically a YS-200 with keys and rather odd spherical pitch bend and mod wheels.

Quite liked the sound of it at the time- I bet these two synths can be picked up for pennies, too.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it's pretty cool. The design is pretty innovative.

Hey man, if it "speaks" to you, and connect with it, who cares what everyone else thinks? Just do your thing, man.

Just hold out for one, till you find it on CL or eBay. Good things are worth waiting for. (Usually.)
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I bought my three months ago for about 100USD with hard case and I'm very happy with that. (total cost with shipping etc.)
My unit needs battery replacement, and after that everything gets better with that great box of FM sounds.

So if you want cheap source of FM sound give it a try and don't worry about the look. It's a retro thing with a weird look but weirdness is cool today.

The only flaw I found in this synth comparing it to other FM synthesizers is that it have only stereo out (no 8 separate outputs for multi mode like in TX81Z)
But hey! It have 61 after touch keys, and imports all TX81Z sysex patches :]

About the editor:
I personally use YS Editor - it was designed for Atari ST but works great on emulators, so you should look for emulator of atari ST on OSX or iOS with midi support and then use this editor.
THE YSEDITOR PAGE
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the replies:

Seen the Atari editor but what I am wondering is whether the tx81z editor for ios would be compatible?

Tx81z looks like a cool choice but examples some how come off sounding less good. Is it the 16bit conversion? The lack of built in effects?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajebca ➑️
It's a retro thing with a weird look but weirdness is cool today.
Brother, weirdness is ALWAYS cool.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted cda76ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper ➑️
Thanks for the replies:

Seen the Atari editor but what I am wondering is whether the tx81z editor for ios would be compatible?

Tx81z looks like a cool choice but examples some how come off sounding less good. Is it the 16bit conversion? The lack of built in effects?
nah, it'll just be that the demos are showing different sounds, ones that you don't like as much. the effects are cool but really they're pretty poor and you'll be able to get similar sounds running the TX through a free vst, and the converters will make the sound ever so slightly noisier but it's like a <5% difference, all the 4ops sound pretty much the same (apart from the FB01 which you shouldn't touch with a bargepole unless you can get it really, really, cheap)
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So no one knows if this will work with a modern tx81z software?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a side note, I just got my tx81z today. I really like it, more balls than the plugins. VZ1 coming in on monday, similar but different. Paired with my k5, xd5, s4+, electribe esx, s1000, S900, microkorg, c64, and motif es8 I think i'll be good for a while.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper ➑️
So no one knows if this will work with a modern tx81z software?
Hi, I tried yesterday it with CTRLR and tx81z layout and it somehow worked.
(I cannot tell you if it do exactly what is programmed in sysex, because my knowledge is not enough in this area)
Synth responds to changes of parameters and I set some things with it.
Of course some parameters of YS200 cannot be accessed with editor dedicated to TX81Z but i can change settings of all operators, choose algorithms etc.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That is really good news
Old 13th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➑️
In it's favour, the YS200 has Velocity, Aftertouch, Reverb, Delay, and a wonderful, nasty, digital 80's distortion built in. Easy edit options make sound editing more palatable.

TX81z, DX11 and V50 have the same 4-op engine, all 16bit DAC whereas the DX11 and YS200 are 12bit (slightly grungier)

TG33 has the same effects (again, the distortion is great) and marries it's more limited FM engine with a range of interesting 12-bit PCM samples, featuring D50 like jam loops, grungy acoustic sounds, sync and other basic waves and interesting pad snippets. The SY22 is a near-identical keyboard version, and the SY35 is another keyboard version with 16-bit PCM samples.

I have a DX11 and TG33 myself, hoping to score a TX7 and a SY77/99 in the coming year

PS, for FM on a serious budget, the PSS-390 is f***ing incredible, a little mini-key FM powerhouse
And the FB-01? which position in that chain above? Would like to know...
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think its cool looking !
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 13th May 2015 | Show parent
Deleted cda76ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway ➑️
And the FB-01? which position in that chain above? Would like to know...
The FB01 is the lowest of the chain, it has a 10bit DAC meaning less volume fidelity to noise ratio, maybe that could be character and mojo?

I believe it's 4op but without the extra waveforms that make the DX11/TX81z so interesting.
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
The biggest volume knob in history hahaaaa
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
The tx81z is very good indeed. Love mine to death.
Old 14th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➑️
The FB01 is the lowest of the chain, it has a 10bit DAC meaning less volume fidelity to noise ratio, maybe that could be character and mojo?

I believe it's 4op but without the extra waveforms that make the DX11/TX81z so interesting.
thanks! I had an FB-01 and a TQ5 in comparison, and the FM-basses from the FB-01 are DEFINETELY with more punch.
That may come from that "low bit" DAC.
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The problem with the YS-200 is you can't get access to all the parameters from the keyboard - to really program it you need a software editor. So, I'd go for a TX81z or DX11 instead.
Old 15th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaylor ➑️
The problem with the YS-200 is you can't get access to all the parameters from the keyboard - to really program it you need a software editor. So, I'd go for a TX81z or DX11 instead.
Im pretty shure you have no better access for parameters with the DX11, no speaking of the TX81z (where do you find here more knobs as on the YS???)!

Get a controller box and everything will be accessable.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Im pretty shure you have no better access for parameters with the DX11, no speaking of the TX81z (where do you find here more knobs as on the YS???)!

Get a controller box and everything will be accessable.

Wrong, the DX11 provides access to all parameters. Same with TX81z. The YS-200 was designed for people who just want to play presets for the most part and don't want to get into the complexity of FM programming.
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks! I had an FB-01 and a TQ5 in comparison, and the FM-basses from the FB-01 are DEFINETELY with more punch.
That may come from that "low bit" DAC.
The FB-01 is a very punchy little thing. I love mine. after getting into it with the software editor and overwriting all the inane factory presets I realized how nice it is to have a powerful 8 part FM synth I can quickly and easily program in a half rack space. I'm looking forward to starting a another round of patch programming on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaylor ➑️
Wrong, the DX11 provides access to all parameters. Same with TX81z. The YS-200 was designed for people who just want to play presets for the most part and don't want to get into the complexity of FM programming.
Plus one to this.

To add more info here: The DX11 has this extra "Easy Edit" parameter which none of the prior DX synths had. It functions exactly like the sliders featured on the Korg 707 (they use the same sound engine), but you have to press the button to toggle between the four parameters. Although it doesn't look apparent, "Attack" (or "EG1" on the 707) actually adjusts the decay settings as well.

The DX11 might have two less operators than the original DX7, but it poops all over it when it comes to tweaking sounds in real time without using any kind of computer editor. The extra waveforms also make it easier to experiment with since it takes the burden out of having to shape each operator individually with an envelope. It's almost like they designed the DX11 specifically for people whom are more used to working with analog synths, which makes it my personal favorite of the entire DX series.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hi all, a question about controlling the tx1z and other yamahar synths with a hardware midi controller i red a few posts back that some one was controlling a yamaha fm synth the CTRL:R which synth was this? also please could the poster explain how this was acheved as i'm thinking of going for a simmiler set up my self.

your help with this question would be most welcome! kind regards trey.
πŸ“ Reply